Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you feel... [Reboot]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cogent, Apr 9, 2014.

?

How do you feel about Unity?

1. I consider Unity Technologies to be a family member.

12.7%
  2. Unity Technologies is my close personal friend and takes care of me.

18.2%
  3. I think Unity Technologies is real swell.

34.5%
  4. Unity Technologies is ok, I guess.

25.5%
  5. I'm kind of upset at Unity Technologies right now.

16.4%
  6. I not talking to Unity Technologies anymore.

3.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cogent

Cogent

A lot has happened since the UE4 change. Unity sale/IPO rumors, CEO change, Cryengine, some have had time to work with UE4 ( and come back :) ).

Now how do you feel?

Cheers

It seems my copper based hemoglobin is perhaps causing me to view the UE4 vs Unity debate all wrong!

Perhaps it's more about our relationship with UT?

Maybe it's not about which is the best value or has the best feature/price ratio at all!

It's a big a change for everyone!

Seems it's more about how we feel...

(drat! can't edit poll typo: *I'm* )

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. minguhenri01

minguhenri01

New member here!
    ... what's a goat thread?

I recall seeing something that could be called a goat thread a while back, most members were posting goat pictures there for whatever reason. But it felt like some sort of weird sacrificial ritual to me so i was too scared to join in. Though i would like to be a part of one next time it happens so.. please advise.

Marble likes this.
  3. Cogent

Cogent

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Whats a feel?

5. minguhenri01

minguhenri01

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't think it requires legal action, a little bit drastic aye? Then again I'm not overly happy with Unity and often think it was a mistake to use it for our project.

7. Cogent

Cogent

(...can't ...re...sist...)

But how does that make you feel?

:evil:

8. LaneFox

LaneFox

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

10. minguhenri01

minguhenri01

B-B-But i was joking..

11. Slyder

Slyder

Unity and I are kind of on a break right now...but I have no hard feelings. Maybe we'll re-unite (hehe) in the future

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

Well right now, Epic is kicking Unity's butt when it comes to developer presence on these forums.

Nearly every thread on the Unreal forums has an engine developer chiming in or offering advice and help.

Not expecting UT to do the same but some more developer presence on the forums to give us tips and tricks, insights etc would be helpful.

Waz likes this.
  13. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Unity, I want you to bare my children.

14. Amon

Amon

As the battle ensued, with a mighty blow, did the forces of Unreal Engine deliver unto the Unity Alliance a $19.99 deal. Battle scarred and beaten a retreat was the Unity Alliances last chance of survival but then the heavens clapped, and the roar of the old collaboration forum and its posters was seen on the western hill of Rondar Alc Beth.

Anyway...I could be epic.... Jokes aside, you guys need to ask yourselves a few important questions. What is the ratio of bunny hopping around to different Engines and the amount of games you have completed? Not necessarily finished and releasable games, just finished working prototypes.

I used to be caught in that mind loop. I'd bounce around different 3D Engine websites dreaming of the possibilities and what I could achieve with the new Engine I'd found. The only thing I achieved though in the 6 months I was caught up in that mind loop was a complete waste of time.

It's a little like that Ancient Greek story where boats would pass a certain island and the sirens of the island would make themselves known by hypnotising the sailors with their beauty and their song. So powerful was their song and their beauty that inevitably the sailors would sail towards the island unaware of what was really going on. The sirens were not beautiful nor was their song. Once the ship got close enough to the island and was pummelled by the surf and the sharp rocks, did the sailors realise what was going on.

A good dinner they then became for the sirens.

Basically, metaphorically, the sirens are the feature packed tools and capabilities of the 3D Engines you keep hopping to.You in your ship sailing towards what appears so wonderful then becoming dinner for the nasties is the waste of time, procrastination, and above all, never coming out of that dream of 'Now I have found this Engine I'm going produce wonders with it'.

Buck down, let those roots grow under your feet, hit the Unity Examples/tutorials/snippets like a madman and never waste time again.

Create a folder on your hard drive. In that folder create sub-folders. Name each sub-folder Unity-Test and append to that the test. For example, accessing data or values, variables, using Lists, using arrays, designing classes, plotting objects, random placement; you get my drift surely.

Die and kill yourself doing nothing but tests. I mean it. Blast your brain until your brain has had enough of you not you having had enough of your brain.

Invest 3 months in to this. Do not make any games whether mini or the next WOW. Learn to use the tools provided in Unity by testing, testing and testing.

In 3 months time when you have amassed an arsenal of working completed tests, each within its own folder only then plan to make a game. Let me tell you something though. That 3 months of sheer mad lunatic ninja style testing you did; when you start making your game and come to a point where you get stuck, you'll notice immediately that the solution to the problem is in your test folder.

Where you failed before by not having that 3 months of battle tested examples/tests you'll now notice that you progress with your game with ease and even finishing it and enjoying the rewards..........

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
    Ryiah likes this.
  15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ok Amon, hows Unity fitting in with your career? What's the name of the popular multi-million dollar game you've made?

Looking forward to seeing it :).

16. Amon

Amon

I haven't made a multi-million dollar game yet. It doesn't invalidate what I wrote though. You reply as if what I've written, a strategy to use, promises multi million dollars. It doesn't and I have never stated so. I Merely stated that engine hopping is useless. Why? For another reason, learning a new language if the new engine you hopped to has one will take just as long for you as it did with the previous engine.

In the end you're always stuck learning how to get familiar with the new Engine and then when you hit a brick wall, within yourself, which you quickly attribute to the Engine, you end up hopping over to something new; rinse and repeat.

You don't have to be the maker of a multi million dollar game to have proved yourself competent with using Unity successfully. There is nothing wrong with breaking chains that bind you to be unproductive. Repetition is how they were conceived and repetition is how you can defeat them.

randomperson42 likes this.
  17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Engine hopping isn't useless, but there definitely is a realistic cost incurred when switching. So your argument largely depends on how large the reward is for switching. Imo that switch reward isn't going to be very large for most indie games, especially most mobile ones. But for someone doing something cutting edge it could be a different story.

18. Meltdown

Meltdown

Engine hopping is useless when you're well into a project, but you get to that, "now that we've made a few models and environments,, and the real work needs to begin" stage, and then a new engine is released and you decide to switch to it, because it offers shinier models and environments.

You'll re-import everything into the new engine, post it up on the new forum, then nothing much will happen after that.

a.k.a useless

In fact, the engine doesn't even factor into this equation. It's more like duplicate uselessness.

19. Amon

Amon

Well said!

20. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Engines don't provide shiny models and environments. I do. ;)

21. Amon

Amon

Attached Files:

22. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sure... For $200 ;)

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

There is no right and wrong, it'll be on a case by case basis. We all know or should know that changing engines is disruptive, but it can also be very beneficial. My point being it's fine giving general advice but in most cases unless you have pushed a potentially successful development off a cliff due to engine switchers you don't really know.

The amount of people who have warned me to stay away from Unity for our project, people doing similar games and MMO's to find they are plagued with certain bugs that Unity haven't / can't or won't resolve and they have a release date coming up. It kind of waivers your faith in the product you're using. But then again we have a lot of work / time and tools invested in Unity. So it's not that easy to get up and leave..

In some instances as long as you're not too deep, there's good reason to switch..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2014
    Ryiah likes this.
  24. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

You go! Plus extra goat.
    Gigi

25. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

If they don't make changes soon, then I will be upset. It has been a while, but there has been no word.

26. Cogent

Cogent

/agree

NA-RA-KU
    "Bueller?
    ...Bueller?"

:cool:

27. Cogent

Cogent

Reboot :D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  28. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I'd like to correct the "Unity sale/IPO issue"

There was never an issue, there was a bunch of rumours that turned out to be bogus.

Cogent likes this.
  29. Ryiah

Ryiah

I feel like I got suckered into reading a necro'd post. :p

30. Cogent

Cogent

Ok.

31. Cogent

Cogent

Only if you didn't read the title. :p:p

32. Waz

Waz

I upgraded to Unity 5, not because I felt UT deserved it, but because I believed my customers who started when my game was Unity 3 based deserved to get their cloth physics fun back, yet Unity refused to fix their Unity 4 breakage. Cloth finally works with U5b13.

So yeah, hardly on good terms right now after 2 years of being neglected. Some good signs though on the quality of the new version. Time will tell.

Cogent likes this.