Search Unity

How do I run a server and use it in my game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Bravo123, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Bravo123

Bravo123

I am a very new Unity developr. Just recently I started working on my first mobile game via Unity. My wish is to make my game a social game, but I have no clue what to do.

Can you please explain to main how to I run a server, how to get one and how to consume it in my game?
    I paid for a sever via google, but when I tried to do Network.Connect( ipAdress, port) nothing actually happened. I got an error message and that's it.

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Bravo123: As far as I know, for an actual multiplayer server to work, you need to load some special software on it. and as far as I know, the documentation actually has some links to Unity Tech's master server, facillitatior, and other network packages needed to get a server up and running. (They run on MacOS and Linux too, not just Windows)

3. Beennn

Beennn

+1

To get started however, you only need to be running the master server provided by Unity Tech: http://unity3d.com/master-server

You can find details and instructions on how to use it here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/net-MasterServer.html

4. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

True, I did state thought that you can use your own. means YOU can decide whether to take it down for maintenance or not! ;)

Also means you have room to optimize the code; trust me, UT encourage this! :D

To actually set up the matchmaking master server will take a long post. will be back later to write it.

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I was able to get my own server up and running on a Dell Mini 9, so if you wish, I can send built Linux executables by PM, if you need them for your own custom server. ;)

BTW, what was the error message you got? I forgot to ask that... :D