Search Unity

How do I make sound effects and music for games?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by serranojavier, Jan 29, 2011.

1. serranojavier

serranojavier

Hello, does anybody know about any programs to create really good sound effects?
    Thank You

2. xfreeboys

xfreeboys

FL studio pro

3. serranojavier

serranojavier

Thanks, i'll look it up

4. 36Dist

36Dist

FL Studio, Reason and Logic are all awesome programs for music. However...

Music for games is a really deep rabbit hole. Just like you won't be an amazing artist over night, you won't be a world class sound designer. There are lots of communities of musicians on the net, your best bet is to post an ad on one of those sites to try to find a musician that will work either pro bono or on a royalty scheme of some sort.

Best of luck with it all!

5. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

To create sound fx try this: http://www.superflashbros.net/as3sfxr/
    It is a sample generator, originally created by DrPetter (the guy who made Sculptris), ported in Flash by Tom Vian.
    This online version allows to save the fx you make and I find it handy.
    On the left pane are some generators. Click them and if you like the results, save them. If you click them again, a new sound is created.
    You can also tweak the components to produce unique effects.
    I suggest to export in 8bit because the file size is smaller.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
    jobyuj likes this.
  6. serranojavier

serranojavier

Yea i took a look at it and a tutorial would be really helpful, but i think my best shot is to leave that to the pros and focus on what i already knw, thanks for the advice.

7. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

8. serranojavier

serranojavier

Hmm ZBrush eh?, Interesting article Ippokratis, thanks for the link. Yes just yesterday i was testing a level of a game and honestly I found my own game boring without any music. Hopefully I'll create some really engaging music while learning how to use this softwares. If you guys find any tutorial for any software I would really appreciate it if you'd let me know, thanks.

9. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Well, there are a few approaches in making music for a game. The simplest would be to use a ready-made tune, start it at the beginning and let it loop over. You can import it as wav or mp3 and let unity transform it in ogg
    For desktop, web, you can also use mod /xm: http://modarchive.org/

If you want to compose your own music, start by using sample libraries and ableton live. Making music from samples is the easiest way to make music if you have no background. Ableton live have good tutorials in the package, and youtube is full with additional tutorials. eg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dm4pQjOH-7c&feature=related

I would suggest to start simple and as you get more comfortable, try to do something more complicated. First pick a song you like. Learn how to start, stop, change the volume, start over, pause a song in Unity (script reference audio source, audio listener, audio clip). Try to play sound fx when something occurs. Try to give via menu control to the player over audio (music and fx).

When you have the scripts to handle a song, try to go and make a song. There is a distance between learning the soft and making a song, but if you start, you will reach somewhere. After all, every journey starts with a single step.

10. serranojavier

serranojavier

Im currently reading mod / xm, and I don't get this atm but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon. I definitely will try to learn this stuff, the other article made me realize that it's better for me to know about everything instead of just focusing on a single skill. Thanks for you help.

11. JohnLenonFighter133

JohnLenonFighter133

12. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

13. serranojavier

serranojavier

Yeah making music has been fun so far haha, I'm thinking of getting Ableton Live 7 maybe 8, saw a video on Youtube and it looked really easy to create some good songs.

14. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Not trying to confuse you but I recently came upon Cockos Reaper. I think that if you care to buy a program, you should consider trying this. It's trial is for 30 days and lets you save what you create. It's price is less than 50 bucks and as far I can tell, is a very capable tool. If you start using a tool and have questions, ask, if I can I will help

15. sciguy77

sciguy77

Trust me, there are tons of free/dirt cheap sound effects out there. Worry about making your game, then add sound effects.

16. serranojavier

serranojavier

It looks better than ableton, just cheked it out on Youtube, I'll try out the trial. Thanks for sharing

17. code-sumit

code-sumit

Visit http://sound-generator.blogspot.com . Here you can online generate, modify and download some basic sound effects.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015