1. Submit bugs to enter our 5.4 Beta Sweepstakes. Read more about it here.
  2. Unity 5.4 public beta is now available for all users. Grab the build and visit the 5.4 beta forum.
  3. Missing a module? More about the new installer in 5.3 here.
  4. 4.7.1 released for Xcode 7.3 support. Thread here.

How do I convert light into an alpha value in Strumpy?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by TomBrien, Apr 29, 2012.

1. TomBrien

TomBrien

Hey! I'm completely new to manipulating shaders.
    I've used 3DSMax for a long time, so I have a knowledge of how diffuse and bumps maps work, and what Fresnel and Self-illumination is and so on, but I'm not GREAT at it.

Anyway- How can I get an Emission map to have an alpha based on how much light is hitting an object? Here's me in 3DStudio:
    [​IMG]
    (I'm finding out this software deserves a lot of credit for how easy to use it is)

And here's me in the Strumpy Shader Editor:
    [​IMG]
    (Strumpy is also fairly intuitive, considering I've not had to learn any coding)

I think it's using the Luminance Constant, but I don't know how to covert that into a 0 to 1 value.
    ...And then I THINK I can bend the gradient from light to dark using Clamp- but hey one step at a time right.

2. Jesus

Jesus

In the strumpy examples you should find one called 'Ramp Lighting' or similar.

This grabs the luminosity at a pixel, and maps it to the U channel of the Ramp Texture.

Take some time to understand the buts of that shader, how and why everything works, and it shouldn't be hard to rebuild a similar one that uses luminosity to affect the Alpha channel.

3. TomBrien

TomBrien

Thanks Jesus, I figured out what ramp shaders were by downloading a Skin Shader and deconstructring it (also found out more about rim lighting).

I couldn't figure out how to do it in Strumpy, but LUCKILY I found an old thread where someone literally pasted a graph.

It's still not great though: because the colour is a mix of the diffuse map and the light ramp, it always comes out as really desaturated on either the red or the blue:

I can't really even tell if the ramp is recognising the RGB of the colours, or just measuring how bright they are.

Here's what I had in 3DS, applied to the Self-Illuminating (Emission) map:
    [​IMG]

But I can't apply any light-based nodes to Emission here.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  4. TomBrien

TomBrien

Alright well... I got the shadows to go from being white-to-black to being a warm hue to a cool hue (red to blue in this case)
    [​IMG]

Which was really the MAIN THING I wanted... I guess this is the closest I'm gonna get. I tried applying a ramp texture to the lighting, but the light seems to cut off at like 80% darkness. I don't know what's up with it:

[​IMG]

No matter what kind of ramp texture I put in, it always switches to pure red where it should be dark blue. It even does it with the Strumpy example. Someone else had this problem but I don't get how he fixed it.

WELL whatever, I'll just do it without the toon shader step-down.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012