Search Unity

How did you guys get started?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by chubbyshlubby, Sep 15, 2016.

1. chubbyshlubby

chubbyshlubby

Hey, I'm really new to Unity.
    I've seen a lot of people talking about flight simulators, dragon flight physics, and bridge construction games. All this seems really hard to do, so I was wondering how you guys got started?
    What resources did you learn, and how old are you guys (you can just say like teenager, late twenties, something like that) (I'm thirteen)
    Where did you learn how to code?
    Just generally how did you get to where you are today. Also, if you could recommend some good beginner games to try and make, I would love to see your suggestions.

2. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Welcome @chubbyshlubby , how are you?

If you put "@", you are calling one specific person in this forum. You can call me when you need me.Actually I'm intermediate level Unity user.

I'm making a flight simulator because I'm a pilot, middle age and is closer to my skills.

Long story: I try to learn a lot of skills and then, I make this kind of game where they can fit well and where I'm well making it. Is not hard to do. Needs time, knowledge, passion and more important perseverance. I'm not making a popular game. I did not know well what I wanted to become. In that situation, I give the chance, to myself, to learn something new. And that, always helps me later. If not I just work with talent people that teach me how to do. I'm not afraid of learning, also if sometimes I making mistakes. I'm sorry for my English that can confuse, yes, but I can deal with it. Is possible to learn from an error so that I do not repeat them. Is important to recognise the error. I learn from coding how to recognise what is an error. I do not follow a trend. I create it (my own, hoping is good). Those are the basic principles that guide me to where I'm are today.

You write well for your age! My English is not good. You can make a much less sophisticated, very popular game or not, with your age! You must go to school to learn all task in general. And after school, you can learn more about game construction or video game development. A game can include history, math, science, etc. You can make it in a simple way. Make it as simple as possible is a good starting point. And must be enjoyable. is a requisite. I remember a beginner making a room "lift" with a door that opens. Each time the doors open there was a funny (picture) joke outside. Now this kind of game is popular so better to use your imagination. Make something that makes you laugh in a good way.

Unity provides not only the editor for making games but also game assets. Car, airplanes, avatar characters, trees, terrain, buildings, lights, particles, effects, etc.. that can help you to experiment and make your first simple game. After following the learn TOPIC section there is a learn PROJECTS section from where you can choose a game to make:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

I get started playing games, and with big curiosity in how games are made. I like a certain type of games. I imagine me making one. From an early age, I had a strong interest in flying, drawing and computers ...I imagined a more realistic simulator. At that time the C64 3D simulation was made only by sprites or few wireframe lines. So I imagine my game and I draw it.

If you look into the race simulator drawing, the background was made in lines because I wish express to the viewer, that it is a video screen game. Making a drawing is a great start. I thank my mother that she keep this drawing and give it to me when I started the simulator. There were no game engines at that time. And I make the desition, to wait till there was one. I try a lot of game engines. And I found that this one works better for me because is simple, clean and professional.
    You can find more about all this story in Made by Unity Storys [link here ] .

After finishing school I choose a University career as Transportation Designer for making cars. There are a lot of schools where to learn Art and engineering free online and pay. Art Ceter, IED, Royal College are some of them. I choose IED and I learnt how to make this.

At your age,(1986) I ask my parent to pay me for a course outside the school about programming. There was no Youtube or Internet. I learn a code language "Basic" in a large city with few students of all ages. And then return home and make coding in my old (consol) Commodore. I code a big A that it take 1 minute to draw, later a 3D trimarans in my Commodore 128 bytes computer. So much fun!

Is fantastic how code evolves. Now is much simple to learn. You can learn C# that is much better here [LINK] for free. Is the Unity3D -> Learn -> Tutorials -> Topic : Scripting. It will helps you also if you feel you are an artist. All the video tutorial section divided by topic made by Unity is Awesome. I also learn using youtube C# courses for free. If you pay online course you can learn faster. But the free versions work for me. I did not find a perfect C# course for beginner specific for Unity but in youtube I found videos about each scripting task or function. Later I started paying as for example the Unity Courseware is expensive but I can recommend it if you want to learn fast and in a professional way. But first, make the free one inside Unity tutorials. Also Teamtreehouse Unity light section and first game. Then Udemy has also nice pay specific courses for each task. And also 3Dbuzz, Unity section. If video is not for you becasue you are not connected (for example train or trip) then there are books in Packtpub that helps me in each task. Also, the free: C# yellow-book can help me at night when I go to sleep. Each week there is a new course in internet and youtube. Is lake a chocolate box: you choose the best first but then you finish eating them all.
    Unity Live training section also works well after the free topic section: Look for Making your first Games with Unity in C#

Go for you games choose your games better. Please avoid guns... Use your imagination. Make something that includes audio, code, 3d content, same camera effect. In this way, you learn more about each task and you are ready to choose your favourite one. You can try your career and then later go independent. At your age explore and experiment in your game something that is not been created (is more simple to be original). Try to be creative. Close your eyes and try to imagine something simple and fun; then go for it. Have fun.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016