Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How did Shadowgun reduced APK to 6 MB?

Discussion in 'Android' started by zalogic, Nov 9, 2011.

1. ArtX

ArtX

Please help, the same problem.

2. ArtX

ArtX

Any news on the project? I'm have iOS version and don't have much time to change Resource load scheme to AssetBundle(.

3. stijnvdb

stijnvdb

very much looking forward to this... For the sake of not sitting on my ass just waiting for this to come through, I worked on porting our iOS project to Android and getting it to work with AssetBundles (nightmare...). Main issues that seemed impossible to solve were the terrible loading times (sometimes as high as 10 minutes) and crashes between scenes (probably due to running out of memory). Noticed some very nice new features in the Unity 3.5b update though (keep in mind it's a beta, it's still pretty buggy for the moment):
    These solved most of our issues...amazing christmas present from Unity! The game sometimes still crashes between scenes though and there's still some minor 'bugs'. However, whenever this installer appears I'll most likely chuck out the AssetBundles and use Floky's system anyways, it looks very promising...

Thanks for making this huge community effort Floky! You're the man!

4. swiftest

swiftest

I'm really looking forward to this, too. I've also looked at the Amazon Kindle Fire, and their store doesn't have this lame size restriction, so maybe I'll try there first while waiting for this Android Market solution.

5. rbdias

rbdias

Regarding to application size, does anyone tried the unity android eclipse integration:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/71607-Integrating-Unity-and-Eclipse

If you use it with an empty unity project, your apk will be at least 15MB sized! This is because of the asset folder.
    Did anyone overcome this problem (without using those separate assets download methods)?
    Does anyone know if with the Pro License this asset folder will be reduced?

BR,

6. zalogic

zalogic

I am really sorry for the delay. I was very busy at work with solving some unexpected issues for an important deadline and couldn't find the time to prepare the project for uploading it on Google Projects.I just have to prepare one of Unity's sample iOS projects as a demo for porting it quickly to Android using this tool and I just need to organize a bit the documentation so people will be able to quickly understand how to use the tool. It seems all the bugs have been crushed (but, never say never :D).

Right now I'm out of town for Christmas but as soon as I get back I'll do everything I can to wrap this up to upload it and post the link here. Sorry again for the delay. The tool is finished and has already been successfully used in production here at Mobility Games.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  7. Dreeka

Dreeka

It is good to know you are still working in it :)

8. swiftest

swiftest

Just wondering how it was going, Floky? Just a thought: Since it's going to be open source any way, you might want to consider releasing it in its current state and letting interested parties work on bug fixes or documentation. Might always have bugs no matter how much debugging considering all the different app types out there.

9. spartan

spartan

I'm waiting for this to release my game :)

10. zalogic

zalogic

Ok guys, I'm not going to hold you back any longer. I just can't seem to find the time to prepare a sample Unity project with a short usage tutorial and put everything in a Google project. The holidays and preparations for the New Year with friends and family is my priority right now.
    But I've managed to quickly cook up some README.txt files in the important folders of the project. :)

Without any further delay here it is guys, a small Unity Android Build Tool: View attachment $Unity Android Build Tools.rar

Until next year, I won't be able to respond to too many questions. :)
    BTW, it only works on the Mac OS. No importance has yet been given to Windows compatibility. (but this will eventually be fixed, sry Windows Unity users)

Hope it helps you guys! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!! (too soon? :D)

11. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Wish I had an Android license right now to test this on. Thanks floky! You proved one can find a way despite what other people say.

12. Dreeka

Dreeka

Thanks for releasing it floky!
    When you have some time, a tutorial would be appreciated!

13. zalogic

zalogic

Yep, didn't have time right now. Until then read the README.txt files in the project folders.
    There is one describing the setup process.

Best of luck!

14. spartan

spartan

Thanks floky! I'll check it
    Happy new year!! :D

15. spartan

spartan

I'm getting the following errors when trying to export Jar file of UnityInstaller

JAR creation failed. See details for additional information.
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/downloader/Downloader.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/downloader/AsyncDownloadOperation.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/installer/InstallerUtils.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/installer/InstallerBaseActivity.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/installer/StubView.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/unityLauncher/UnityLauncherActivity.java'
    Class files on classpath not found or not accessible for: 'Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer/InstallerActivity.java'

16. zalogic

zalogic

Spartan, I think the JAR export failed because Eclipse didn't manage to compile the project java files.
    After you imported the eclipse project into Eclipse have you checked to see if you have any compile or classpath errors before exporting the src to jar? If you have project classpath errors and you have the Eclipse Android ADT plugin installed then it should warn you to use the ADT auto fix project dependencies and then do a project cleanup. It's standard procedure when importing another Android Eclipse project.
    Hope it helps.

Don't worry, as soon as I have some time (after the holidays) I will write a detailed tutorial about the setup and Eclipse import project and export jar procedure.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  17. spartan

spartan

@floky, thanks, I'm new on Eclipse :), I will wait your tutorial

18. spartan

spartan

I'm getting this error:

Description Resource Path Location Type
    Project 'Installer' is missing required library: '/Users/florin/Desktop/AndroidPlayer/bin/classes.jar' Installer Build path Build Path Problem

19. zalogic

zalogic

Ups, I think I forgot to mention this in the setup process. You must change the classpath for this Unity Android library. Or better, I can directly include it from Unity 3.4 so you don't have to. I will fix this and re-upload the project here.

Until then, Eclipse is looking for a file classes.jar located in your installed Unity package in the folder PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer. You must set the correct path to this lib in your Eclipse project Build Path settings. Right-click your Eclipse project and find the option "Build Path" i think it's called.

20. spartan

spartan

@floky, what do you mean with Unity Package? Which one? Did I miss to download a unity package for this project?
    In your zip file there isn't a file called: classes.jar

update: found the class on unity installation folder ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2012
  21. zalogic

zalogic

Yeah, sorry about the misunderstanding created. I meant to say the unity installation folder instead of Unity package.(too much drinking:D)

22. spartan

spartan

New errors:

Description Resource Path Location Type
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 66 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 70 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 71 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 72 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 73 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 86 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 87 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 102 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 121 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 144 Java Problem
    R cannot be resolved to a variable InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 145 Java Problem
    The import com.unity3d cannot be resolved UnityLauncherActivity.java /Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/unityLauncher line 5 Java Problem
    The import com.unityInstaller cannot be resolved InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 14 Java Problem
    The method getPackageCodePath() of type UnityLauncherActivity must override a superclass method UnityLauncherActivity.java /Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/unityLauncher line 11 Java Problem
    The method handleMessage(Message) of type InstallerBaseActivity must override a superclass method InstallerBaseActivity.java /Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/installer line 169 Java Problem
    The method onClick(View) of type InstallerActivity must override a superclass method InstallerActivity.java /Installer/src/com/userCustom/installer line 80 Java Problem
    The method run() of type AsyncDownloadOperation must override a superclass method AsyncDownloadOperation.java /Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/downloader line 124 Java Problem
    UnityPlayerActivity cannot be resolved to a type UnityLauncherActivity.java /Installer/src/com/mobilitygames/unityLauncher line 8 Java Problem

23. zalogic

zalogic

This usually happens when you forgot to name the bundle of your unity project with the same name as the Eclipse Installer package and like I explained in the setup process in one of the README.txt files, this causes a mismatch in the auto-generated R.java class.

So to fix this, if you're using the eclipse installer template project as you find it in the project archive, you will see that the android package name of the eclipse project (you can see it in the AndroidManifest.xml in the Eclipse Installer project) is "com.unityInstaller.template". Name your unity project bundle the same: com.unityInstaller.template and you shouldn't have these conflicts anymore.

Remember, the Unity project bundle name must be the same as the Android manifest package name from YourUnityProject/Assets/Plugins/Android/AndroidManifest.xml. (package="com.unityInstaller.template ") And this package name must also be set the same in the AndroidManifest.xml from your Eclipse Installer project (in this case the template installer).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  24. spartan

spartan

This is happening when I try to Export Install src folder as a Jar, it doesn't have a relation with Unity yet , so it doesn't matter the bundle (also I was working with my custom bundle).

Will be nice if you can upload a unity package and an Eclipse project working together to know how it works, because it's a headache to get this working from the scratch receiving those errors :)

25. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

Hi, how about an asset store package?

26. zalogic

zalogic

Oh, sorry, now I understand your problem. You didn't explain when those errors appear in the first place.
    Yes, I will provide a usage tutorial project during the next week. (in my spare time)
    For you it's also a little bit of a headache because of the lack of knowledge in working with Eclipse. :)

Meanwhile, have you reset the classpath to the Unity library called "classes.jar" correctly? As I specified in one of the posts above, that library is found in the Unity installation folder in Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/bin/classes.jar. You must add this path in the java build path of the Eclipse Installer project like this:
    1) Right click project in Eclipse and select "Build Path -> Add External Archives"
    2) Go to UnityInstallationFolder/Editor/Data/PlaybackEngines/AndroidPlayer/bin/classes.jar and select it.

Now you should have the Unity java library in your project build path. I will add this library directly in the project next time so these steps won't be necessary in the future. Try exporting the installer jar now.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  27. zalogic

zalogic

Mmmm...I don't think it's suited for the asset store. I want it to be open-source so anyone can easily contribute with something to it.
    The best place would be Google code.

Roadmap:
    1) Prepare a demo project, simplify the setup process a bit and update and better organize the documentation in a nice doc file not in separate readme.txt files :) .
    2) Automate the setup process to avoid some beginner hassle. ;)
    3) Upload the entire package on Google code so it can be easier for anyone to contribute to it (making it better in the future, more flexible, with more options maybe...don't know yet :) ).

I uploaded the package here right now because everyone seemed to be in a hurry to try it out. I hope to finish the above steps in the next 2 weeks cause I'll be working in my spare time.

Thanks for your support so far guys!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  28. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

You can certainly put an open source project in the asset store, and putting something in asset store doesn't have to be an exclusive deal, you can put it on google code at the same time. Its just convenience for the Unity users to have a central place to download something that's already packaged for use in Unity. However its just a suggestion.

29. Darkworth

Darkworth

floky I think I love you! lol I was just dealing with this Android size limitation issue and was NOT looking forward to restructuring our iOS game for asset bundles. I cannot wait to dig into this tonight when I get home!

30. zalogic

zalogic

You're right! ;) As soon as I automate the setup process a bit more(for better beginner usage) I will make a unity package and upload it on the asset store too.
    I never uploaded to the asset store before. The thing is that it's a solution consisting out of 2 parts: an eclipse android project(which isn't directly unity related and mustn't be located in the unity assets folder) and the unity required postprocess build tool (which must be setup directly in a unity project).
    So the 2nd part can be easilly packed in a unity package for the asset store, but what about the first part mentioned? How can I fit it on the asset store? Any helpfull links related to this subject would be appreciated.

31. spartan

spartan

@floky, any hope to get this package for beginners soon? :)

32. Darkworth

Darkworth

OK, floky, I got it all set up, everything's compiling like the readme's say it should, the files end up in my unity project plugin folders like the readme says it should... no warning signs at all up until it tells you to make the normal unity android build. When I make the normal Android build, nothing happens. No build tool window opens up or anything else happens.

Here is a snapshot of the project after all of the setup and build steps are followed from the readme's.

Can you see anything wrong with this, or possibly have an idea as to why the builder window isn't launching? What kicks it off and causes the plugin to run to begin with?

Thanks in advance.

33. zalogic

zalogic

Ah! Yes. GREAT feedback Syllus! I see the problem. :D

The file "PostprocessBuildPlayer_AndroidBuilder" is a perl script that must be executed by Unity. As the Unity documentation specifies
    (http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Build Player Pipeline.html) the script must be named "PostprocessBuildPlayer". :))
    I named it "PostprocessBuildPlayer_AndroidBuilder" to avoid situations where someone might overwrite his own postprocess script.
    But there are situations where one might need multiple postprocess build scripts to be executed. There is a solution thanks to a man called Rob Terrell. He made a simple post process script that will auto-execute all other postprocess build scripts in the current folder as long as they are named like this: PostprocessBuildPlayer_XXX". His little script will be the main "PostprocessBuildPlayer" that Unity will execute.

So, just copy this script in the same folder with the "PostprocessBuildPlayer_AndroidBuilder" script. :)
    Attachment: View attachment $PostprocessBuildPlayer.zip

Thanks again for this great observation. I will add this script in the next package update. ;)

34. zalogic

zalogic

Syllus, by the way. I just noticed in your above screen shot that you have a JAR file in "Plugins/Android/AndroidBuilder.jar" and that it has the same name as the AndroidBuilder.jar tool setup in "Editor/AndroidBuilder/" folder. I hope that isn't the same file you've copied there. :)

"Plugins/Android/AndroidBuilder.jar" should be name to something different to avoid confusion because this jar should be the installer activity plugin for your android project. This jar file should be obtained from exporting the "src" folder of the EclipseInstallerTemplateProject as specified in the readme.txt.

But in case you've already done this and it's just a naming similarity, it's ok. :) Just wanted to mention this for other users out there.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  35. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

i am a new Androider , our game 70M,now need you tool help us ,wait day by day!!
    hope the final update
    now i use the tool error here:

step 7 : signApkWithDebugKey()

jarsigner error keystore was tampered with ,or password was incorrect.
    i create a new keystore in unity called debug.keystore( witch you code in ) , and copy this to .android folder , and run the PostprocessBuildPlayer_AndroidBuilder manually , i still get the error here , so hope you help.
    thanks

36. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

I fix this , i copy the windows :C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\.android to Mac .android folder.( i don't kown why Mac don't have this file).
    and now pack ok , i will try this installer is work ok , later reply.

37. zalogic

zalogic

wwwgy1982, you must NOT setup a new keystore inside Unity and overwrite the debug.keystore file from ".android". That's what's causing your problem. The default debug.keystore from ".android" is the debug keystore with which the Android Builder tool will sign the new generated APK files. If you overwritten the "debug.keystore" provided by the Android SDK please re-build it with this info:
    Keystore name: "debug.keystore"
    Keystore password: "android"
    Key alias: "androiddebugkey"
    Key password: "android"
    CN: "CN=Android Debug,O=Android,C=US"

So the tool will be able to sign the APKs with this development keystore.
    See "http://developer.android.com/guide/publishing/app-signing.html#setup" for details about generating a keystore from the command line.

Edit:
    The Mac Android SDK has this file but because you've setup different keystore in Unity project settings it was modified.

38. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

Thank you i will study this later , now i installer is work download from my gameServer do download gameData.
    buy when finished download , the app will crash , and start Again still crash.
    can you help ?

39. zalogic

zalogic

Please provide the crash log from the point where the app crashes.
    The crash can be caused by various reasons. I can't help without some detailed feedback. :)

40. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

how can i find the crash log in device , sorry for ask this , i am new.

41. zalogic

zalogic

42. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to start activity ComponentInfo{com.walnut.strive/com.userCustom.installer.InstallerActivity}: android.content.ActivityNotFoundException: Unable to find explicit activity class {com.walnut.strive/com.mobilitygames.unityLauncher.UnityLauncherActivity}; have you declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

com.walnut.strive is our game name ,and androidManifest.xml is the same name for Package name.

I find this error log! can you tell me what's error?:(:(

43. zalogic

zalogic

I think I know why you're getting this error. But just to be sure, please upload here or send me a PM with the AndroidManifest.xml from your Unity project to investigate it.

44. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android" android:installLocation="preferExternal" package="com.walnut.strive" android:versionName="1.0.0" android:versionCode="1">
    <uses-sdk android:minSdkVersion="7" android:targetSdkVersion="10" />
    <supports-screens android:smallScreens="true" android:normalScreens="true" android:largeScreens="true" android:anyDensity="true" />
    <application android:icon="@drawable/app_icon" android:label="@string/app_name" android:debuggable="false">
    <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="com.userCustom.installer.InstallerActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation" android:screenOrientation="landscape">
    <intent-filter>
    <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
    <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
    </intent-filter>
    </activity>
    <activity android:label="@string/app_name" android:name="com.floky.unityLauncher.UnityLauncherActivity" android:configChanges="keyboard|keyboardHidden|orientation" android:screenOrientation="landscape">
    </activity>
    <activity android:name="com.unity3d.player.VideoPlayer" android:label="@string/app_name" android:configChanges="keyboardHidden|orientation" android:screenOrientation="landscape">
    </activity>
    <!-- ACTIVITIES -->
    <!-- META-DATA -->
    </application>
    <!-- PERMISSIONS -->
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" />
    <uses-permission android:name="android.permission.WAKE_LOCK" />
    <uses-feature android:glEsVersion="0x00020000" />
    <uses-feature android:name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" android:required="true" />
    </manifest>

this xml is in the /Temp/StagingArea folder , this is you want?

45. zalogic

zalogic

Yes, that's the xml. After taking a quick look over it i noticed a mistake here:
    "com.userCustom.installer.InstallerAc tivity" . You have a space char in the "InstallerActivity" part of the name and the log you sent me tells you that it can't find these activities.
    Also check the name:"com.floky.unityLauncher.UnityLaunche rActivity" cause it also has a space char in the name. :)

46. wwwgy1982

wwwgy1982

I am sorry, I made a mistake :
    com.floky.unityLauncher.UnityLauncherActivity (there is no space char)
    The fact is :com.mobilitygames.unityLauncher.UnityLauncherActivity(in my project)
    and all are worked , installer download from the game server and the game runs well.
    Thanks for you help "floky"!!!!!! Love You Tool.
    there is another question :
    The game will show Black Screen when it plays the movie by Iphone.iPhoneUtils.PlayMovie.
    Do you have any idear to solve the problem?
    Needing your help! Thank you very much!

Error Log:

01-07 17:59:18.409: E/MediaPlayer(12161): Attempt to perform seekTo in wrong state: mPlayer=0x0, mCurrentState=1
    01-07 17:59:18.409: E/MediaPlayer(12161): error (-38, 0)
    01-07 17:59:18.409: I/ActivityManager(1380): Displayed com.walnut.strive/com.unity3d.player.VideoPlayer: +67ms
    01-07 17:59:18.429: E/MediaPlayer(12161): Error (-38,0)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  47. zalogic

zalogic

It seems to be an error from the Unity Video player activity. I don't think it's caused by the Android Builder tool.
    It may be because the video you are trying to play is not a suitable format and it can't play it correctly.

Have you tried playing the video in a separate small test project without using the Android Builder tool?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  48. spartan

spartan

@floky when do you expect to release the unity package of your tool or something to get it working easily?

49. zalogic

zalogic

Since I am working in my spare time on this project, I can't promise anything. Hopefully this weekend...give or take a few days.

50. Fooo

Fooo

Thanks again for working on this Floky! We're looking forward to using this as well. I sure hope the Unity guys see this thread and think about the usability of your system vs theirs and possibly integrate some changes in the future! This project will be a must have for any Android project > 30MB.