Search Unity

How could I get the real rect of a Window which is created with GUILayout.Window

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by enmeii, Jul 23, 2015.

1. enmeii

enmeii

I am trying to create a lot of windows and sort them automatically.
    But I found the size of any window is wrong.

Code (csharp):
    1. Rect newR = GUILayout.Window(i, new Rect(triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.x, triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.y, 0, 0), DrawTriggerGroup, "" + i);
    I use GUILayout system to create contents in windows. So the size of window should be fit the contents, which is smart. But I found the width or height of variable newR is 0 as the beginning.

Plz help me, I am wondering to get the real size of a window.

2. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

So, the Rect you are passing to the GUILayout.Window function is defined as follows:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Width and Height are 0!
    2. Rect windowRect = new Rect(triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.x, triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.y, 0, 0);
    4. Rect newR = GUILayout.Window(i, windowRect, DrawTriggerGroup, "" + i);
    You're passing 0 for width and height. Are you actually seeing something on-screen when the code runs?

3. enmeii

enmeii

Thanks for replying.
    As the Unity guide says : The layouting system will attempt to fit the window inside it - if that cannot be done, it will adjust the rectangle to fit.
    I am using GUILayout functions to draw my GUI, so that everything in this window works fine and smart. But the Rect value is same with I defined before. windowRect equals "new Rect(triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList.posInEditor.x, triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList.posInEditor.y, 0, 0)"
    Actually, I want to get the real rect size, so that I can sort all windows one by one.

4. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

First off, I don't think you answered my question:
    Are you actually seeing something on-screen when the code runs?
    I'm asking this because in theory a sub-window of size (0,0) will not be visible. Nowhere does the documentation say that "specifying a size of 0 will cause the window to autofit", which I think is what you're assuming/trying.

Yes, it does indeed say that. However, I interpret that to imply that the layouting system will shrink the content if the specified size is too large for the specified area. This is why I asked if

I would suggest trying the following:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // Width and Height are set to the entire size of the containing window!
    2. Rect windowRect = new Rect(triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.x, triggerGroupManager.triggerGroupList[i].posInEditor.y, position.width, position.height);
    3. Rect newR = GUILayout.Window(i, windowRect, DrawTriggerGroup, "" + i);
    Note that you could also do something like position.width/numHorizontalSubWindows (and similar for height).

But, again, when you use a size of (0,0),
    Are you actually seeing something on-screen when the code runs?

5. enmeii

enmeii

Yes. The window shows well no-matter the size is (0,0). But It is that drives me crazy. Because I can't get the real size of any window if the content of window is a little more.
    I tried "position.width/numHorizontalSubWindows" way. But if the content is larger than size, windows are covered by others.

6. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

What does the position variable output from within your GUI.WindowFunction function that you pass to GUILayout.Window?

Alternatively, perhaps this will help?

7. enmeii

enmeii

I have to say I get the real size now with your code right now!!!!
    WHY? It's wrong yesterday!!!
    Anyway. Thanks a lot. @SonicBloomEric.

8. SonicBloomEric

SonicBloomEric

Glad to hear that it worked! I suspect that internally, the following code exists somewhere:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //NOTE: this is pseudocode.
    2. Rect actualRect = GetActualRect(userRect);
    4. return Mathf.MinRect(actualRect, userRect);
    So if you were to pass in (0,0), the MinRect would always be the one you passed in...

Which sounds like a bug, honestly - either in implementation or in documentation. Could you file a bug with Unity on this one? Do so by selecting Help→Report a Bug... from within Unity. Then they could either fix it to work with your expectations or adjust the documentation!