Search Unity

how can i recieve shadows on water

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by melonhead, Jun 29, 2015.

1. melonhead

melonhead

i am using the standard prowater but cannot ecieve shadows on refraction, i have seen this done in pics etc but cannot get it to work, any help would be very grateful thank you

2. BluetoothBoy

BluetoothBoy

I am not sure about this myself, but for the time being maybe you could overlay an opaque or translucent plane over your water (no collider) and set it to Shadows Only?

3. melonhead

melonhead

must be able to be done as i have seen this done in unity 3.x from ages ago, i am suprise this cant be done easily in 2015 with such a powerful engine as unity,. someone must know how this is done?

4. melonhead

melonhead

anyone?

5. melonhead

melonhead

or how do i recieve shadows on ground under the water plane which i know can also be done, why have the standard assets not been updated along with the main unity, how is it so dificult to recieve shadows on top of or underneath water?

6. melonhead

melonhead

nobody got an idea?

7. Zicandar

Zicandar

One of the problems with unity 5 is that it decided to handle shadow receiving in a way that disallows transparent objects to receive shadows.
    I think this is the most likely cause for your problem.

8. melonhead

melonhead

thing is there are assets on the store showing ground under water recieving shadows and water recieving shadows so it must be possible but when you are on a budget more assets really are pusing it to buy. im sure someone must know how it could be done?

9. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Not at the moment, transparent object cannot receive shadow. it's already planned by unity tho, maybe soon

10. Arnklit

Arnklit

11. pulsifide

pulsifide