Search Unity

How can I make my own MatchMaker?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by eyalm, Feb 4, 2016.

1. eyalm

eyalm

As it seems as the moment unity's official matchmaker is limited to a certain amount of users.
    How can I make my own on my own server?

2. eyalm

eyalm

Anyone?...

3. eyalm

eyalm

I want a lot more than 100 players to be able to play at the same time.
    Is there any solution?

4. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Well the procedure is like this , warning not easy and not the work of 5-10 days.

match maker should have a service which players connect to and send create/list/delete/join requests for matches and it should store list of matches with those who created them. this is the easy part. you can do it with any simple web technology.

but when the server wants to listen for a socket it should connect to a relay server which actually is beside match maker and after that the relay server opens a port for clients of the game, clients after joining get the address and port of relay server and connect to it. then when each game wants to send messages, actually clients send to relay server and server as well.

relay server gets client messages and sends them to server and gets messages from server and sends them to all related clients.

This is a challenging task to write it correctly, this is a hard problem to solve to write a high performance relay server.

Is not recommended to be tried for one man teams, instead you can wait for unity to go out of beta (there is a reason they are still in beta for match maker) or use another technology like photon which already has match maker if you want to release fast and can not wait for unity.

When unity releases server library in 5.4 it might make the job of writing match maker and relay server a bit easier, it will actually.

5. eyalm

eyalm

KK Thanks for the info!

6. feneq

feneq

Server library is delayed unfortunately. I've been counting down the days for 5.4 for this exact reason, I wanted to write my own relay server. It looks like I will have to wait a bit longer.