Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How big would the GTA V map be, if it was made in Unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NinjaRubberBand, Jul 29, 2014.

1. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

I really need a perspective of how big the terrain needs to be for a open world experiment im working on.
    So i was thinking how big other game maps would be if it was in unity.

So as the title says: How big would the GTA V map be, if it was made in Unity?
    A guess could be fine, but the real answers would be better ;)

2. smitchell

smitchell

100 billion units

3. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Since i dont know that scale, i want the number in terrain width and height as you adjust the terrain in the settings.

4. smitchell

smitchell

lul I was messing around man, I couldn't tell you how big it was. I imagine only a developer on the actual game would be able to. And I'm about 99.9% sure they did not have one terrain for the entire map. That wouldn't be smart. They'd have lots of smaller terrains so they could occlude it.

5. NinjaRubberBand

NinjaRubberBand

Ahah okay, even though i dont know that kind of measurement, it sounded pretty big lol. I thought i was per pixel or something.

6. smitchell

smitchell

The default unit of measurement in unity is a meter (I think) . And I was messing around with the 100 billion units ha that's ridiculous.

a quick google lead me to this link which actually does a comparison of the GTA map sizes: http://gtaforums.com/topic/531982-very-detailed-analysis-of-map-sizes/

it says:

FuzzyBalls likes this.
  7. 3agle

3agle

8. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

Yea GTA didn't have one terrain. It was meshes with LODs made in exterior programs like World Builder, Maya and 3ds max.

9. derf

derf

Personally I do not bother with making maps "big" just for the sake of being big. Open world is more about freedom of play style than trying to re-create the open world in a unity engine.

calmcarrots likes this.
  10. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

standard 2000x2000 unity terrain should work.

*if you make everything the size of ants

calmcarrots and JovanD like this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but I *think* that would be ok with regards to floating point precision. Pretty sure it's more to do with number of significant figures than the size of the number per se, and after you get to 1,000 units you don't need an extra figure until 10,000 units.

12. rakkarage

rakkarage

13. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Absolutely, but if you can't approach them then the lower precision (we're only talking about one significant figure here) may not be an issue.

14. steego

steego

Take a look at http://www.altdev.co/2012/02/05/dont-store-that-in-a-float/ - there are some nice tables about halfway down that show the amount of precision you get at different distances from the origin, ex. ~1 mm at 10.000 meters out.

If you can live with ~1mm precision, this means your usable game volume is from (-10.000, -10.000, -10.000) to (10.000, 10.000, 10.000).

The amount of precision you need depends on your game, so take a moment to test gameplay at different distances from the origin. Also, precision errors tend to accumulate over time, so make sure you test for a good while (I'd leave the game running overnight).

Deleted User and chelnok like this.
  15. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Or you could just offset the player and world by the negative of the player's world position when they go beyond a threshold... not all that complex...

16. Dabeh

Dabeh

The same size.

The effort though to reach that with the same performance would not be comparable by any measure though.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

As Dabeh says, it's the performance that's the killer here.

18. carking1996

carking1996

Why make a map that large anyway?

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Origin shifting (like in UE4) should be supported natively at engine level for best results, with you keeping track of how many shifts its had along x,y,z and you should work with local coordinates if doing distance checks and so forth.

Deleted User likes this.
  20. judah4

judah4

You can implement origin shifting yourself but if you're not careful, the terrain do not like to be moved and cause lag spikes.

21. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I was looking for a table like that last night. I did some basic tests of my own, but I'm not expert enough in the area to have been confident in sharing my results. Looks like I was actually pretty close, which is nice.

The thing to remember is that storage precision isn't the whole story. If you've got to work with the numbers then the imprecision will accumulate with every calculation. Whether that matters or how much it matters depends on what you're doing.

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Of course you can. But it's a performance and physics nightmare to do so without proper engine support.