Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hosting unity made .exe as servers...?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by lmbarns, Oct 19, 2014.

1. lmbarns

lmbarns

I've only ever hosted web based stuff that was on linux and have questions about what is required to look for in hosting an exe based server remotely?

Right now I'm just using localhost 127.0.0.1 and a specific port number to connect between client/server. What kind of host would allow me to upload it, configure it to restart if dead, and give me a public ip/port to point my clients at?

2. JamesPro

JamesPro

You would need a Virtual Private Host, Cloud based Host, or a Dedicated Server that either you host at your house, is Colocated at a CoLo Facility which isn't cheap, or hosted at the hosting Company where you pay monthly for the hosting... Togglebox is a great Cloud based Server Host or Amazon EC2.

http://www.togglebox.com/
    http://aws.amazon.com/

Pricing will of course depend on exactly what sort of hardware and Bandwidth you need

lmbarns likes this.
  3. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

I have been extremely happy with DigitalOcean's cloud solutions. Highly recommended.

4. lmbarns

lmbarns

Thanks, I'll check them out. I managed to get it up and running on a free account running an amazon ec2 instance, albeit extremely slow with only 1gb ram.

5. unityuser1324235141

unityuser1324235141

+1 about DigitalOcean, I'd also strongly recommend them. Just figured I'd post this because I think they deserve to be pointed out.

6. JamesPro

JamesPro

Togglebox is less expensive then DigitalOcean. For $640 per month with DigitalOcean you ONLY get 9TB of Bandwidth... For $279 per month with ToggleBox you get 50TB of Bandwidth...

7. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

well, they all ok, but they always get you on the hdd space, they double the price
    if is not on the HDD some will do on the ram, etc...

if you know how to manage linux boxes, no need to be a guru, but basic admin, then rather go for a dedicated box, you endup paying half for than any cloud or vps outhere.

8. unityuser1324235141

unityuser1324235141

I should note that I was drawn to DigitalOcean because of their cheap $5/month hosting because it did exactly what I needed for cheap, though there has been zero downtime in my experience and their support was instant whenever I had a problem.

9. JamesPro

JamesPro

We were paying $600+ per month to run a Server in a Co-Lo Center and we barely got any Bandwidth for that. Not to mention it would take weeks to expand to bring on another Server if we needed it... Renting your Hardware may be different but owning it really isn't an option for Indies unless they have the means (Knows someone who can host it, can cut a deal, ect.) to do so.

10. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

ohh dear, $600 + per month for one single server is quite a lot, and specially if you doing colo.
    colo prices supposed to be the cheapest since it is your own hardware you sending.

i would of believe that price in a colo facility 10 to 15 years ago.
    but in 2014?

if i were you, ill remove the server from that colo provider run away as fast as you can and never ever look back.
    seriously.

there are lots and lots of good providers nowadays, very cheap bandwidth and very reliable.

those days of banwidth limitation due of how expensive bandwidth it was a decade ago are over.

11. JamesPro

JamesPro

we have gone with Amazon Cloud and are paying between $50 to $60 per month now... Don't have much in the way of resources with that so what we can do is limited but for now it's working.

12. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

i am glad you moved away from that colo place,
    they were eating you alive.