Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.9%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.4%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

31.9%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.1%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.4%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Becoming

Becoming

Yes definitely, you have a lot of control how things look, also you can concentrate detail exactly where you need it.
    If you have special needs i would be happy to help you getting the most out of it... although i think you can achieve pretty much everything out of the box.

I come from an art background so i did not forget about the need for creative freedom, i tried to give the user full control over everything(without making it overly complicated). You have definitely a good artist on your team, so i think you can get pretty unique and stunning results. If there is something that you can not achieve let me know and i will try my best to find a solution.

If you decide to give it a try, definitely keep me updated ;)

twobob likes this.
  2. adventurefan

adventurefan

Congrats on release!

Maybe edit in a bit of wireframe over the terrain transition in your main image... to get the idea across immediately. Also I would put all your features or at least 10 to 15 in the text write-up area. I don't think nearly as many people will read the images below.

Now, in other news I am having some asset issues to report:

Undo seems to break on me a lot when I make changes to settings on horizon stuff. It sometimes leaves the changes I made on those objects, it just goes back further to other things.

Also I'm having trouble getting the transition blending and the "Z fighting" procedure to be stable. I've got to check it in a fresh project to confirm though so possibly more on that later, or maybe it's nothing.

3. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for the feedback, i'll see how i can improve on this.

About the undo, shame on me, i just did not build any undo functionality into the horizon master script :oops:
    If this turns out to be a big issue i will add it, but it can take some time as there are a lot of controls and i am currently busy with the snazzygrid update.

The ZFighting script works but you might need to change the settings, especially min offset and max offset(especially if your terrain is not on 0 height). For in the editor you can put the "Transition Terrain" over your terrain with a generous offset in the y axis, the script only works in playmode.

4. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Very impressive! I'm thinking of picking this up today but had some questions. You mention RTP and it seems like you guys have been working together. What is the best way to get a seamless-ish blend between RTP terrain and the Horizon mesh? Will the lighting look different in Unity 5 between the two since RTP uses its own PBR calculations? And if the RTP terrain is using features like color map, wetness, dynamic snow, etc, is there a way to get the same look on the Horizon mesh?

5. Becoming

Becoming

There are plenty of ways :) I think you should be able to use it for all circumstances somehow, it depends so much on your scene that i can't give you a good answer.

I really have to make videos asap :) Anyway here some thought about blending:
    Seamless blending works only if you flattern the terrain on the outside and then put the transition terrain over it, so basically you can blend it with anything that is flat. Horizon[ON] has a ton of options to match color, saturation, abient light, reflectivity, fog, etc. with your main scenery. You can check the demo and see a splitscreen comparison with Horizon[ON] / Horizon[OFF].
    This should give you an idea how it is done in this case. However you might not want to flatten the terrain for reasons i dont know(though i recommend it - as you gain much more useable terrain surface than you lose) and can still get very nice results. You just have to be a little bit more creative to hide the seam. For example behind a hill, under rocks, below vegetation, under decals... etc. Even if you let the seam be visible it is not so much of a problem, as firstly, seams are everywhere, even in the best AAA video games and secondly, you can match colors/textures nicely so its not very appearent.

About RTP and Horizon[ON] in general, depending on the feature set you use it needs more or less tweaking(quite logic ;)) but you should be able to get a unnoticeable transition from Terrain(Meshterrain or Unityterrain) for a distance of 10 to 20 meters. Which means if your terrain is 1000x1000, you can potentially use 960x960 of it. Appart from the visual fidelity i think this is the biggest benefit of Horizon[ON], as this saves a lot of performance and lets you focus more on whats actually important in your worlds.

6. adventurefan

adventurefan

Well good news, I've got things running really nicely now in a new project so no worries. I found the unity terrain likes a -0.1 on the object's position Y, but doing that and then using the script everything's working.

You've thought this thing out absolutely wonderfully btw. Even a hand splat paint unity terrain done in like 10 minutes.. is blending so easily with your system! (Well I did walk through the tutorial to see how everything worked, but after that...) 5 stars here easily.

Becoming likes this.
  7. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks a lot, i am very happy to get my first feedback on Horizon[ON] and such positive too :D
    You could do me a favour and put a little review on the store, as i think many people just ignore assets that don't have any reviews. Getting a few reviews in the beginning might be game changing for me.

8. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

I am sick of that song in the demo video.

Reminds me of the nightmare I went through!

9. OnePxl

OnePxl

That explains this afternoon!

10. Becoming

Becoming

Rofl, did it have to do with popping balloons? :p
    Sorry, i wanted something that sticks in your mind, guess it worked.

11. khos85

khos85

Hi, is there a compiled/built/published demo (.apk) I can try for mobile (Android), I'd like to try it before buying it :)
    One thing that prevented my Android game from being "complete" is a huge/endless terrain system... now this will help I hope, wow!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  12. Becoming

Becoming

I am not a big expert on mobile, but i have tried it on my Galaxy S1 and on my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 and it runs fine. With GLES 2 the the possibilities are a bit limited but it can still work with fewer textures/features, with GLES 3 more can be achieved but i have not tried all possible feature combinations. I will try to make an apk that is worth showing in the next few days. Would you prefer GLES2 or 3?

13. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Purchased & did a quick try on Horiz[ON].

I am using it for Android build.

It does not support a linear color space (the manual told me to).
    But I guess it will be fine..right?

Is there a way to make Horiz[ON] not to be affected by Unity's own Fog?
    I wanted objects in the level to appear colorized by the fog (Objects that is not Horiz[ON], but I want the horizon to be visible to a higher extend. (And be affected by a different fog which is similar to Unity's, but acts differently).

For the product itself, they work as advertised, low-performance high-quality horizon for your game!

I am sad that Horiz[ON] do not have a way to paint the heightmaps in-editor.
    (I think it is useful for making your outer ring displacement.)

I also expected an automated Terrain Stitcher-like heightmap generator option to blend terrain edges with
    Horiz[ON].

All of this has to be done manually outside the editor, which you can't directly see how well it blend with the terrain that you had through the external working environment.

I would say that these feature should be included for a $35 product solely scoped on horizon building.

14. ibyte

ibyte

Running into a few issues importing Horizon[On] in to a fresh new Unity 5 project. Actually I have more issues importing it into a current project but I hope to get these other ones resolved first.

So during package installation

Try again doesn't work so i press cancel

i load up teh sample scene and press play and i get

I set color space to linear and I get

15. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

This error is not related to Horizon[ON], but it's something wrong in your Unity5 project, might be that Unity doesn't have write access to the files, or it could be that you have MonoDevelop open, you need to close that first, then restart Unity and try again. The Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll contains all the compiled editor script in a project. This script is in there always.

See here what you can do:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/322969/unity-was-freezing-and-now-it-wont-open-because-of.html
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/137599/moving-file-failed.html

Nathaniel

16. Becoming

Becoming

Hmm, i dont think these are directly related to Horizon[ON]. There are some things that come to my mind. Are you sure you are not accidentaly using a beta install of unity 5? Maybe the download from the assetstore was currupted, can you try to install it again? Does Unity have rights to access all folders it need to access? Typical Tech support question: have you tried turning it off and on again?

I have seen these errors without Horizon[ON] installed, so i think we have to first rule out other potential issues.

Oh, Nat posted the same thing :)

17. Becoming

Becoming

It does work in gamma space, dont worry, you just have to tone down the brightness of the global tint in the main settings. a value of 128 would be good.

To disable unitys fog(Unity5) for the Horizon[ON] shaders you have to open the shaders and look for the line
    pragma multi_compile_fog
    ...comment it out.
    for Unity 4.6 you have to look for
    //Fog { Mode Off }
    ...uncomment it.

About painting displacement, i dont think that would be a good way to deal with it as it would need to be a really huge(more than 4k) heightmap and also it would not be tileable. Also Horizon uses not 1 but 4 heightmaps blended together, one for each layer, there is no good way to deal with that. Even if there was, it would be very confusing for most users. Apart from that you still can do it if you use vertex painting. I didn't include a vertex painter, as there are plenty of them out there already.

For your idea for an automated terrain stitcher like method, it would not work for the same reason as above. Also if there would be a feasible way to make it, it would still need to generate a new mesh everytime the terrain pixelerror lod switches and that would make it unneseccary slow. Additionally, even with a stitched mesh, we would not have a blend. We would just have a texture seam on the edge your terrain(s). So you see its not like i have not thought about that.

For the price, i think its more than justified, i was recommended many times to make it higher. Many months of work and thinking went into Horizon[ON] and i think you have just discovered the tip of the iceberg of what you can do with it.

Fibonaccov likes this.
  18. khos85

khos85

Many thanks for being willing to create a test apk, if you could try GLES2 that would be nice. Much appreciated.

19. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Yeah I am not sure what is going on. I am using U5 patch 2 downloaded yesterday but was also using f4 before that.
    I am creating a brand new project and only importing Horizon[On].
    I have also tried rebooting my machine.
    I am not longer using mono develop but perhaps it might be something to do with VS integration

EDIT: I tried installing VS Integration first and then re downloaded the package via the asset store. This time I am only getting "error CS0016: Could not write to file `Temp/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll', cause: Access to the path "C:\Users\Glenn\Documents\U5 Projects\Mysterious Dev\Sandboxes\horizonTest\Temp\Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll" is denied." Which is pretty odd since there are other files in temp including the Horizon package.

temp is only created when the project is opened by Unity so it is hard to understand why it cannot write to a directory that it created.

I also tried turning off my anti virus - doesn't help

EDIT2: After rebooting with AV turned off it's working now. Must some false positive signature or some other behavior by Unity my AV program doesn't like. :(

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. weasel47

weasel47

I just bought this asset and started using it with Time of Day. TOD has a new Scattering image effect that adds fog that blends in with the sky (the color of which changes throughout the day). It seems that the Horizon objects don't get written to the depth buffer and end up completely fogged. Are there any settings built into Horizon[On] to make it play nice with the fog, or some other tweak that can be made?

OnePxl likes this.
  21. Becoming

Becoming

I guess the atmospheric scattering has been introduced in TOD after i tested it with Horizon[ON]. Tom and i will probably look into it on monday.

OnePxl likes this.
  22. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Very cool! I downloaded last night and it was pretty easy to set up and add to my project. I've already started messing with the shaders to make my game's continent map use the Horizon shaders, then when you go to a zone it creates an RTP terrain with details at the correct point and uses the continent map as the horizon border. It works pretty well for a minimap of the zone as well. Probably not its intended use but I thought I'd share. ;)

23. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

For anyone using Terrain Composer with this, I've attached this useful png file. Add a Height Filter using this image and "Multiply", then a Tree Filter Mask using this image and "Subtract", then a Grass Filter Mask using this image and "Min". This will smoothly flatten the edges of your terrain and fade out the trees and detail grass as they approach the edges so that the boundary between terrain and horizon is less noticeable.

Attached Files:

twobob, Veljo_Hagu and OnePxl like this.
  24. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

And just to make it three excessive posts in a row, I also have a request: does anyone know of any good textures to use with this, on the Asset Store or otherwise? I have a ton of ground textures but they're all for close details; I don't really have anything for long distances. In my case I'm looking for pure wilderness; no farms or buildings or obvious roads or anything, and a variety of terrain types / seasons (fall, winter, forest, desert, mountains, etc). Any leads?

25. Becoming

Becoming

Hey, awesome! I am very happy to hear you find it easy, it was my goal to keep things as simple as possible and still give a lot of control. I can only guess if others percieve it as i do, so i am definitely happy about feedback. You know, different minds, different opinions.

About your fade square, thanks for posting it. I wanted to include a few for different terrain sizes but i forgot about it in the end. It can also be used without terraincomposer, if you export the heightmap from unity and open it in photoshop, multiply the image on top of it and import the result back to unity.

I would be happy if you post some pics of your results, i am very curious to see what users make with Horizon[ON]. If you dont want to do it publicly i would also be happy with a PM ;)

Dude, now i have to add to this again, 2 new posts while i was typing :D
    You can use Worldcomposer, its absolutely perfect for Horizon[ON] but you can also look for other arial images on the web, maybe there are some free to use... Alternatively you can of course compose textures yourself using multiple layers in photoshop. WorldMachine is also ideal.

makeshiftwings likes this.
  26. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I think I found a bug: when I change the sliders for spec/gloss on the different layers, they don't match up with the layers they're supposed to. For example, if I open the color picker to change spec/gloss on Layer 1, the alpha does affect Layer 1, but the RGB affects layers 2 and 4. On Layer 4, the alpha affects layer 4 but the RGB affects layer 2.

27. Becoming

Becoming

Oh, thanks for telling me, i will look up where in the code you can change it and post a fix here, will not be hard to change it. I'll push the fix to the assetstore asap!

Edit: does it also happen if you change it on a material or only on the horizon master script?

28. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

It was happening on both the master and a material (Displacement was the one I was using at the time)

29. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks, got it... a simple routing bug.

QuickFix:
    open the file _horizON_core.cginc (in Assets/Horizon[ON]/Sources/Shaders)
    go to line 501:
    and change it to...

and line 523:
    change it to.
    I'll submit the fix to the store asap ;)

30. Recon03

Recon03

Ugh another asset to buy, I normally buy all of Nath's and Becoming assets, so now time to spend more money..

Question, I read others saying it works with Android, I have a game with open world, and on Android I plan to use on console and PC in the near future.. I use Terrain, Composer, RTP for PC, but I use Skyshop for Android, have you seen any issues with Skyshop?? Also what else doesn't seem to work with Android if anything from what I read?

I figured to ask now so I don't fight with something that may not work. I plan to buy this in the next few days, because as I said, I like to Support Nath, and since he I don't think he was working with this like Snazzy Grid, I would still buy it and support you as well to keep you guys making some very good assets that are helpful to indie companys. Thanks for that. You guys have saved me a lot of money and time .. I don't need to hire as many people because of this and makes my job easier.!!

Edit, I read some where that Skyshop is fine.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  31. Becoming

Becoming

Hehe, thanks a lot :)
    Yes it works with skyshop. Horizon[ON], just like skyshop uses shader keywords, but unlike skyshop you can disable keywords for Horizon[ON] without breaking it, you may have to do this if you are on Unity 4.6 as it has a smaller limit on these keywords. Read the section about keywords in the manual to get a better understanding of what has to be done.

For mobile you are more limited on the features as you are on desktop. You have to find yourself which feature combination works for your scenario. It's not like a particular feature is not working on mobile but its about the combination of features, you probably cannot just enable all features at once on mobile. I recommend to test things in a seperate project before you incorporate Horizon[ON] into an exisitng project.

32. Recon03

Recon03

Got ya, thanks for the advance, nah I'm using Unity 5, I would be a fool not to, since I do this for a living..not a hobby.

33. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Here is my score. :)

Attached Files:

34. DCrosby

DCrosby

My Score :D

Attached Files:

35. montyfi

montyfi

Got some problem with Water Pro after installing Horizon in Unity 4.6 pro, now it says maximum number of keywords exceeded for water pro shader. Any idea how to fix it? Haven't added any prefabs into scene, just installed.

36. Becoming

Becoming

Unity 4.x has a small limit of the keywords but its no big problem as you can disable shaderkeywords for Horizon[ON] without breaking anything. You just have to define features. It's explained step by step in the manual.

37. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I do not know if this asset can be used for my problem.
    I have a big terrain on wich i like to have a nice horizon.
    The terrain is made out of many tiles like for example 16 x 16 and i only have some of (one to four) them loaded at the same time mainly the one where the player is on but for the sides i have to load two and on the corners even four.
    So will your asset help me to get nice horizon´s in such a situation?
    I know the size is not what will be a problem for your asset.
    I do not find the right words at the moment (traveling) but when i played your demo i am unsure if it will work in my situation.
    I read a questions that sound a little like mine but the answer is not clear enough to be sure.

38. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

I'm using HorizON with Time of Day for Android and wish I wouldn't spend too much time on it, so I intend to make it work with default quick start. So:

1. Will non-uniform scaling and repositioning break something? Transition settings seems to require a specific terrain size since inner and outer parameters does not affect the outer fade. I suppose I had to scale the transitions or the master object. Is it ok?

2. When you say it works with gamma space, is there a Horizon parameter to set or the best I can do with default textures is to darken Global Tint?

3. I read you recommended to try features on Android, but could you give a hint which ones are safer and which can be costly? ATM, I intend to use 1 layer, normal mapping (maybe specularity?) and a low displacement ring. (BTW, baking them with scale made them taller with different Y scales).

39. Karthik7Nike

Karthik7Nike

Incredible work on the asset! The manual was great in helping me set up very quickly. I had a couple of questions though.

1. The terrain I'm using is not at origin. It's a big higher. When I try to align the Horizon [On] Terrain by raising it's height, all objects (Disp_Level_Start, Disp_Level_Regular, Transition_Sky) move accordingly but the Transition_Terrain object stays at 0 (y-axis). How do I correctly align the Horizon [On] terrain with my terrain?

2. I'm using uSky system to produce a day-night effect. The directional light (Sun) affects all objects in the scene including my terrain but it doesn't seem to affect the Horizon[On] Terrain. How do I get it to accept light from a directional light?

3. The height displacement on the Multi-Level Arrangement looks great in the demo scene. But when I use it in my scene, the mountains look like triangles. Is this dependant on the Normal Map of the layer?

Cheers!

40. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

@Becoming

How would this work with tiled terrains? Our game is using 3x3 terrain tiles streaming with SECTR. I only see focus on the docs adjusting a single terrain tile

Teila likes this.
  41. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

By the way, i also use sectr to stream my tiles so i think VicToMeyerZR an i have maybe the same interest in your asset.

42. montyfi

montyfi

Cannot get rid of "Maximum number (64) of shader keywords exceeded" error. I have just deleted all #pragma multi_compile rows completely from all your 5 shaders in Horizon/Sources/Shaders folder. Yet have hundreds of error messages generated. Any suggestions? I tried to generate meshes from displacements, but it just gives another error and do nothing.
    Good looking asset, but it seems it is impossible to use in Unity 4.6

43. Becoming

Becoming

You should not delete the lines entirely but replace them with defines... its definitely working with unity 4.6
    so if a line has
    you have to replace it with

The manual has everything described but maybe there is something unclear and i am not aware of it. If so, please let me know and i try to explain better. I will also make videos but now i am pretty busy, so videotutorials will take a while.

44. montyfi

montyfi

Yes, I did it first, didn't help. Then I just started to remove all defines, still the same error.
    No idea what to do next.

45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I'm curious about using Horizon[ON] with Sectr as well. Wondering if setting the management object for this asset as persistent and if it would work to update when the player moves from one terrain tile to another...

46. Becoming

Becoming

1. That one is simple. The "Transition Terrain" has a script attached that sets its y position based on your camera position, you have put the right values into the script. Min Offset and Max Offset are the values you are looking for.

2. Horizon[ON] works with a single directional light, so make sure that you have only one. Also it may be the case that you have set Horizon[ON] to override that ambient light of unity. Its in the Main Settings section. Look for "ambient override".

3. The triangulation depends on the scale of the horizon elements, so if everything is scaled very big also the triangles will be very big. You can see how the Multi-Level Arrangement is made. it consists of individual planes. You can arrange them differently depending on what you want to achieve. Another factor is the displacement amount and the tiling of the layers, the smaller the tiling and the steeper the mountains the more likely it is that triangles will be visible.

About arranging the multilevels... here you can see what the basic idea is and that you can easily arrange them differently:

MultilevelStandard.jpg Multilevelb.jpg Multilevelc.jpg

47. Becoming

Becoming

Removing defines is not a good idea. its logic that you get an error. I guess the problem is that you have not done the defines for all 6 shaders. You can PM me your edited shader file and i can take a look at it.

48. Teila

Teila

Just a thought, but since Sectre breaks the world/terrain into sections, I wonder if you could just put HorizonsOn on the individual sections and stream it in with the terrain pieces. Not sure I am explaining this well but it made sense in my head. :)

49. Becoming

Becoming

1. No, it will not break something, the scaling of the y axis is used to define the vertical bounds of the displaced elements. so if you want to have most efficient culling you should proceed like in the manual. The manual also describes which elemnets have to be scaled uniformly. many of the elements you can just scale arbitrarily... I would reccomned to keep tha parent of all horizon objects(the one with the master script) scaled uniformly at 1,1,1

2. the gamma neutral value of global tint is 128. If you set that and use reasonable brightness of your sun light you are good to go. Of course you can still use it to match the brightness of your scenery... 128 is just the neutral value ;)

3. The double scale on the baked displacement happens because the material is still set to displacement after the baking process. therefor you have double scale... this is mentioned in the manual. About android features... its not so much about which features but more about the amount of features... of course only a few devices support displacement, therfor you have to bake the displacement or use a flat horizon with nondisplaced blendmeshes. If you use 4 layers its probably best to dont use water and dont use normalmaps... again... depending on the devices. if you use GLES2 you have to settle with a modest configuration.

50. montyfi

montyfi

OK. I have fixed the problem!
    Manual a little bit incorrect. Instead of "That is all you have to do. Save the shaders and go back to unity. If you have done this correctly you should not see any warnings or errors." it should say restart Unity.

Thank you for amazing effect by the way!