Search Unity

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.8%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.3%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

32.1%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.0%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.3%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

really great

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

Looks amazing, is it coming soon ?

Also will the sample terrain in the previous page be included in the pack ? That would be so sweet.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  3. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Looks awesome, elegant way to solve the problem.. looking forward to release ;)

4. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks for all the positive reedback :) To the questions...
    It should work with any asset other asset that comes to my mind, it reacts nicely to all lighting conditions but of course there are many ways to make it match your scenery and how it is lit. You can override things like unitys ambient light, you can tint it and more. So a sunset or full day/night cycles should not be a problem. It uses special geometry with a shader on it
    You have to provide textures or tweak the ones that are included and you have to paint a mask(splatmap) in case your terrain has for example jungle on one side and desert on the other. It supports up to 4 main layers + water(plus tons of other features) so fitting all kinds of terrains should be easily possible. That means it needs some manual work but its quite simple. There is no suitable automatic way to make it fit all needs, as it need to work with terrains from satellite images, worldmachine, terraincomposer, handpainted and what ever else i am not thinking about at the moment.
    Thanks, release is planned to be very soon! Which terrain do you mean? The desert one? No it wont be included as it uses trees from other assetstore packages. What you see in the latest screenshots will be included though.

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

The terrain shown in my post, with the grassy mountains/rivers. Not the one in the front page first post with the trees.

The one in the post where it says it is all from Horiz(ON)

6. Becoming

Becoming

pREVIEW3.jpg
    If you mean that one, yes it will be included but actually that is not a terrain, this is Horizon[ON] itself. While usually its a flat thing there are some blendobjects included that can be placed on top of it... displaced and/or tesselated, also some modeled cliffs and hills that only add polys where they are needed for vertical detail... that is what you see. That is all part of the demoscene...

John-G likes this.
  7. Becoming

Becoming

Here is how the inspector of the main shader with all features enabled and all drawers unfolded looks like, i t can give you guys an idea how adjustable it is. The good thing is that if you disable a feature, all its according sliders/checkboxes/dropdowns/colorpickers/textureslots/etc. will be automatically hidden and if you work yourself through one feature at a time you should have no difficultiy to figure out what does what... Like with the snazzy series i hope that a manual is not really neccesary but of course there still will be one...

Inspector.jpg

Don-Gray and John-G like this.
  8. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

You mention it is optimized for mobile, the linked shader seems very advanced for mobile - even if you would disable much of it. How well does i perform on mobile? will it for example run on GLES 2?

9. Becoming

Becoming

Well here is the inspector with a minimum setup ;):

Inspector2.jpg

So, it really comes to selecting what you need, the minimum setup should run on very old devices without problems...

edit: changed the image, i noticed that the color tint picker was hidden with disabling normalmaps, whitch of cours should not be the case... Fixed...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
    John-G and Gekigengar like this.
  10. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Can you enable stats (Draw calls, Processes, etc) on the demo?
    I think this would be a big factor to consider before purchasing when developing for mobile games.

How many layers does the demo use?
    It looks amazing!
    Where and how should I insert trees and tall buildings for example, when I am creating a city-scape terrain horizon?

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Super cool, cant wait :)

12. Becoming

Becoming

stats.jpg

Here are stats with only the main horizon object active in the scene... more stats will follow when i'm less tired ;)

Background city skylines are best done in the usual way, just place simple buldings on the horizon object and have a city satellite image as texture for Horizon[ON]... Trees, i would combine them on texture strips and place some quads here and there. It's hard to tell what's the best way to do in every case, it really depends on the scene.... you can get inspiration from 3d matte painting tutorials... that is also very similiar to how it is done in AAA games with panoramic vistas.

Gekigengar likes this.
  13. Becoming

Becoming

I was testing how well Time of Day plays together with Horizon[ON] and after some time of drooling at the screen i decided to upload a video... Definitely best to watch in fullscreen and in 1080p60fps - unfortunately in the nighttime there is still some compression from youtube visible... still very happy with the result though :)

Kudos to the dev of Time of Day, very nice asset!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Deleted User, cubez, Ascensi and 2 others like this.
  14. Ramsdal

Ramsdal

Looks awesome! release it already hehe ;)

15. John-G

John-G

Drool worthy indeed. :D

16. derkoi

derkoi

Like the look of this.

17. Cascho01

Cascho01

Time-Of-Day compatible: Cool!

18. creat327

creat327

have you done any mobile testing? I wonder how it runs on iPhone 4 and ipad 2

19. Becoming

Becoming

I dont have any iOS devices to test but android can run it quite nicely even on Samsung Galaxy S1... I have to test a little more though.

20. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I may have missed it while scrolling, but do you have a rough price for this asset yet?
    I am VERY interested in this, I am using a 36000x36000m terrain, that's 22.3 miles, and 1,296,000,000 metres total floorspace.
    Due to SEVERE loading problems with this, we will be cutting the terrain into pieces and using things like Scene Loader, or Sectr Stream to load our terrain in chunks, we will need something to make the loading look a lot less...well...fake.
    This looks good, mixed with low-poly models I think we can work this into a basic terrain streamer for large terrains.

http://kylebriggs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Landscape.png
    http://kylebriggs.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Mountain.png

More info on the terrain can be found half-way down the page here:

http://kylebriggs.co.uk/portfolio/house-demo-1/

21. Ascensi

Ascensi

Have you tried using Amplify Textures with your project or Mesh Baker +Mesh Baker LOD? Also multi-threading asset ? I am in the same boat but working on a strategy for WebGL for large projects.

22. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Nice - have always wondered why Unity has never fixed the terrible interface between land and sky. I am as soon as its on asset store - particularly as its compatible with Time Of Day :) An comments on Unity 5 ? Speed trees take things to another level as well :)

23. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

The only problem I have with SpeedTree is that it's £12/month ($19), if it had a one-off payment, I would consider it a serious option for tree and vegetation design, but as it is currently priced, and we will never be able to own it, I cannot even consider constant investment without any permanent return like the program itself.
    If they were to change the payment plans to allow for a one-time payment, I may consider investing in it, but as it currently is, it is not an option for us.

twobob likes this.
  24. nasos_333

nasos_333

The one time payment is a lot, i think it is $900 to $4000 and the game edition offers a lot more than the $4000 version.

That is one of the main reasons i decided to make a custom tree system, the other is that i could not use it directly in Unity or have complete control in real time.

I will probably use a combination of the two depending on the case.

One question about Horizon, can i apply a custom shader for the system so i use it with Sky Master atmospheric scattering based fog (based on the sky and time of day) ?.

If not, is it possible to change the shader to add the scattering components ?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  25. OnePxl

OnePxl

I don't know if they've changed their stance since the Unite announcement, but the licensing works the same as Unreal's: you pay for one month, anything you create in that month you can keep using. (And no 5% revenue share, unlike UE4)

26. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I understand the "Keep What You Make" thing, but you won''t be able to create new trees after that period if you are not paying.

27. andre-ivankio

andre-ivankio

I'm sold and waiting for the release. Came here from TOD. I'm wondering how it may be composited for arch viz.

What is RTP you mentioned?

28. Zubba

Zubba

Very nice indeed.

29. Tropobor

Tropobor

Deeply interested!
    Any idea how it can (could, will...) be compatible with Sectr stream ??

30. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I was wondering about this as well.. lol Don't have Sectr yet but it is on my short list of upcoming assets to add to my toolbox.

31. Gekigengar

Gekigengar

Custom tree system? Are you going to release it on Asset Store?

32. OnePxl

OnePxl

Yes, so it'd be $19 for every time you need to make more trees. Since their packs are way more expensive, it's not that bad. But I understand it's still an outlay.

33. Cargh

Cargh

Just to clarify, you DO NOT need to pay the monthly fee, that is only if you wish to edit the trees in the SpeedTree editor. The trees from what I have read will be made available in the unity 5 asset store for purchase and will have a lot of their properties exposed to editing within unity in the inspector. I also remember reading that there will be a number of free trees made available as well.

Sorry for dragging this further off-topic. How has development on your Horizon asset been going?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  34. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

that's what we are talking about, being able to edit them. I am not much into buying things like that from the Asset Store, I would rather create them, that way they are unique.
    But, yes we are going quite off-topic here.

Have you got an estimated release date for Horizon?

35. ibyte

ibyte

+1 Another definite buy here!

Deleted User likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

Definitely want this as well. Great work!

37. virror

virror

This obviously looks incredible as a distant horizon, but how does it look closer? What margin do we need to have for this to still look really good? I know this will be very dependent from case to case, but some kind of general recommendation? Im currently making a game where the users can create their own maps, and forcing them to build a lot of extra "borders" is very good, adding this could be a potential solution, but it would probably be pretty close up then.

38. Cargh

Cargh

Was just thinking about algorithmic substances with On Horizon. Would it be possible to use them to build the horizon texture. To allow for things such as snow build up on distant mountains in the horizon, or season changes. In theory it should be possible, does anyone see any reason why it should not work?

39. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I personally wouldn't use Algorithmic Substances again, they are dynamic textures, and subject to scene corrupting, I used them for a long time and had a string of trouble with them towards the end, after that I jumped quickly over to making my own textures.
    For something like this, I would not risk it by using a dynamic texture as a horizon, there are too many factors involved and too many ways it can break things, even if it were possible.

40. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'd rather suggest Peter to add snow as an additional dynamic feature like RTP has, but ... is HorizON getting too close to RTP ? (and I'm a person behind the shaders - ouch :) ).

Tom

Twelv445 likes this.
  41. Twelv445

Twelv445

tomaszek - I don't think so, RTD is a truly unique product which by the way - I cant thank you enough for!! In my opinion, Horiz[ON] will never be a replacement to RTP, but a perfect compliment to the system. Speaking of wich, do you have any idea at all when Horiz[ON] is going to be released? I e-mailed the developer but no reply. I needed this yesterday hehe. Anyways, seriously Thank you for RTP its life changing :)

42. BigB

BigB

I still don't get it how this works.
    So, Let's suppose I have a map, with a mountain on the center.
    This Horizon[on], fakes a horizon line, and should work nice when I'm in the center of the heightmap.
    What happens when the player reaches the edge of the real map ? What will horizon[on] show when that happens ?

43. Twelv445

Twelv445

BigB - Did you try the webplayer demo? it allows you to move all the way to the edge of the map and see :)

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there a release date for the asset ? I cant wait to see it in action :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    Twelv445 likes this.
  45. Twelv445

Twelv445

Ah yes, InfiniTREE is something that I really have my eye on! Please though guys, let us endeavor to keep this thread on the topic of Horiz[ON] - (Congrats on Infinitree though, Was going to snap it up when was on sale for $40, but was a day late. Tried the demo though and I think you've done an amazing job on it :) )

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, i just answered the topic but is a good idea to PM it instead, to keep it clean

47. Twelv445

Twelv445

No worries at all :) Anyways, I'm sure we're all patiently waiting on some word of potential release date for this asset! Hopefully we hear something soon :)

48. adventurefan

adventurefan

Looks pretty promising. Any idea if it will work with Unity 5 lighting and horizon?

49. Twelv445

Twelv445

I think since Relief Terrain Pack 3.0+ shaders work with Unity 5.0 GI, and the same guy who wrote those shaders worked on this. It will definitely work. As for the the 5.0 Horizon, since this asset it compatible with TOD Sky-Dome, which is a textured sphere that encapsulates your environment and completely circumvents the skybox entirely - I think it will be compatible with almost everything!

adventurefan likes this.
  50. tomaszek

tomaszek

I know Peter is quite busy with the release, but it's very close I believe. He gave me demo scene (really amusing must say... :) ). Dynamic snow feature we'll add to HorizON, but I'm not sure if in initial release.

Tom

Deleted User, Twelv445 and Teila like this.