Search Unity

HORIZON[ON] - Bridge the gap between the sky and your scenery.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Becoming, Jul 30, 2014.

?

In which scenarios would you use Horizon[ON] ?

1. Small to medium sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

33.8%
  2. Small to medium sized terrains (flying game)

17.5%
  3. Big to huge sized terrains (first/third person view/driving game)

41.3%
  4. Big to huge sized terrains (flying game)

32.1%
  5. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.9%
  6. Small to medium sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

13.0%
  7. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (first/third person view/driving game)

16.3%
  8. Big to huge sized terrains on mobile (flying game)

18.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Becoming

Becoming

2. Hamad08

Hamad08

@Becoming thanks for your concern file has been imported...... one thing i want to know that i donot see anything in the example just a blue sky untill i change the shader to cliffs.... my current build settings are on android.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks for this.

Could you please consider a "reference scene for mobile" in the future - one for GLES2 and one for GLES3 because this will really help speed up the understanding of what is possible. Maybe also worth having some preset configurations here, because this will make it even more "mobile friendly" :)

Cheers

N

4. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

Re. "Anyway my best guess is just that the heightmap detail is too small for the mesh resolution, this can be solved by scaling the displacement planes by half and placing the double amount (...)" -

I had a look at that, but I'm not completely certain that I understand what you mean. I tried halving the scale of the 'displacement level start' and all subsequent displacement levels; but that would merely result in the start displacement level ending up inside my terrain, and the last one being two times as small; so the whole setup would merely be smaller with the inside bits being shoved under the original Unity terrain. Surely that's not what you suggested, but the only alternative I can think of is a bit puzzling as well: to scale the child tiles inside every displacement level. In that case I would need to double the amount of tiles in the levels, because if they're scaled down they would not cover the whole area of the level any longer. Of course, if that works, I'll try that ... I'm just not certain that that's what you meant.

5. Becoming

Becoming

That is strange, i'll try to recreate that but i think it should just be visible. for building though it makes sense that you dont see anything on mobile with the example as it uses displacement which is not supported by every device. I suggest you make yourself familiar with Horizon before trying to build to mobile.
    That is exactly what i meant, to scale the child objects and doubling the amount... but i think in your case you should consider to use blendmeshes on just a flat horizon, you can have the mountains exaclty where you need them and don't need to work with huge amount of displacement planes in each level just becuse you have a mountain strip running though the middle of your level.So i'd suggest to go that route before trying the other way. Also you could consider to just use vertex painting to paint away the spikes. Anyway did changing the heightmap import settings help anything?

6. Dante20011

Dante20011

this is my score! 2127900, hope the contest is still on :p

Attached Files:

7. Jase-NZ

Jase-NZ

Just a heads up, there seems to be a shader issue (Horizon [ON]/Horizon[ON] Object) with the Windows Phone build there is a shader issue (pink). Don't get the issue on IOS etc. Also errors like Material doesn't have a float or range property '_SnowHeight' (seems to list all properties).
    Layer count is one, Lighting is ambient and all the check boxes are unchecked.

8. Hamad08

Hamad08

i came across a serious bug, whenever i try to android build it stucks at building assets for scene...... i have to delete the scene again. this is not mobile friendly :/ i dont think this works on android :(

9. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Like I suggested earlier, it would be great to see a mobile friendly scene as an example that just runs out of the box so people can learn much faster than trying to follow a 40 page manual (and this thread) ;)

N

Jase-NZ likes this.
  10. TonanBora

TonanBora

Not sure I can beat a score of 15 million :p
    I never thought popping balloons could get so stressful LOL.
    I love Horizon[ON], and all those snazzy things, so hopefully I get at least one of em. :p
    Horizon[ON] Demo - Score 2672400.png

11. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

Well, that was easy!

Attached Files:

12. TonanBora

TonanBora

No, bad, no going higher than me! :p
    New score:
    Horizon[ON] Demo - Score 3413800.png

13. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

New Score

Attached Files:

14. _Luthien_

_Luthien_

I did that; but it didn't make any difference as far as I could see.

I'm indeed ready to go that way ... it seems it will be very difficult anyhow to let the horizon[ON] displaced mountains join up seamlessly to the Unity mountain range ... apart from all else, the one is based on an 8-bit height map and the other on a 16 bit one.
    I also scaled down the height map, layer mask and color map to 2048x2048. But that neither made any difference.

The only way that I can get rid of those spikes is by importing the height map as if it's a 'normal map' (under 'advanced'). Not sure if that makes any sense ... to me, it doesn't. But whatever: it does do away with those nasty spikes at least.

Btw, not sure if I mentioned that already: they seem to favour the layer channel domain borders the in the layer mask (the lines that separate the red / blue / green areas).

Because even without the spikes - I fear you're right. It may be better to use blendmeshes. This terrain with it's fixed topology would require the Horizon[ON] mountains to seamlessly join the core Unity terrain, and I'm afraid that's not possible.
    The Horizon[ON] mountains look too different: they have a different height resolution, texture, color and snow coverage. I was trying to somehow engineer it to behave approximately the same; while there's a different mechanism behind them. I suppose that's a bit daunting even for someone who's very experienced.

So, blendmeshes it is. Incidentally, the landscape shouldn't be flat apart from those 'mountains in the distance, but at least slightly hilly or "rolling". I suppose that I could try to accomplish that with the displacement mechanism, and use the blendmeshes for the higher mountains.

15. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

My new high score!!!

Attached Files:

16. TonanBora

TonanBora

Geez man! lol :p
    I think you have this contest in the bag.
    You had to have had a chain of around 600 to get that point total. o_O
    Unless of course, the points are calculated differently than I thought.

17. Ging2020

Ging2020

hi, i import horizon[on] in unity 5.0 ,but there are some error,so
    err.PNG

please tell me how to do it ??

18. JSierraAKAMC

JSierraAKAMC

Just wondering, is there any kind of cheat protection for the minigame?

19. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

No, don't have it

20. Zeblote

Zeblote

Calling BS on this

21. movra

movra

Pfff. Child's play.

:p

22. John-G

John-G

Hmm looks like cheatengine has found its way into the competition, or some form of memory address manipulation. o_O

23. TonanBora

TonanBora

Certainly seems to be the case... :(

24. Dan_lala

Dan_lala

Hi... is there also a demo for mac?

25. TonanBora

TonanBora

This one, is obviously cheated. :p
    You can't possibly get a score that ends in anything other than a zero.
    That, and all you did was put Svaldenegro's picture in a paint program, and add a few zeros, and a two.

Which just shows how easy it is to fake a score... :(
    I suspect this to be the point your making with this post. lol

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    movra likes this.
  26. TonanBora

TonanBora

Actually, I am going to call BS on this score as well.
    Your score went from 3,654,900 at 11:27 PM(for me anyway), too 35, 260,600 at 11:41 PM.
    Are you telling me you actually, some how went from getting a score of only 3 million, to getting a score of 35 million in just 14 minutes? o_O

My new score:
    Horizon[ON] Demo - Score 9086000.png

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  27. Hamad08

Hamad08

no further support?? :/

28. Konst

Konst

Hello everyone! Really like the asset. I have a question.
    Does anybody know can i use Point light instead of Directional? Seems like there is no any effect when i use point light with any range size and intensity. Thanks

29. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

Is possible

30. svaldenegro

svaldenegro

And is real picture taken from the game, there's a lot of triks used by other user to get that millionaires scores like bots and fast camera moves.

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Could be pretty easy to Photoshop those numbers in there.... I never thought that was a very secure way of hosting a contest.....

I just bought it

thank everybody ...gracefully close it down..?

32. TonanBora

TonanBora

I would not be surprised if Becoming closes the competition down after this. :(
    But your right, basing a competition on a picture is probably not the best. It would be better to base it on a video, which is much harder to fake, and much easier to check for modification (such as skipping). You would need to be fairly good at modifying videos to fake an entry, but just about anyone could put a picture in Paint.Net and add a few numbers into their score.

33. movra

movra

Maybe the real score is encrypted and hidden in the image through steganography?

34. MartinGiaco

MartinGiaco

I have a problem, maybe i am blind but i cant see the solution for this problem.
    I want to use Horizon[ON] on multiple scenes in one project (Unity 5), but everytime i change something in Horizon[ON] the changes are copied in the other scenes too. How can i fix that?

I set "Set Features" in the "Horizon[ON] Tools"-Tab on "disable" but the "Displacement Patch4" will still change if i work with an "Displacement Patch1" in another scene. Why?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  35. Zeblote

Zeblote

How about you have to record a video from starting the game to seeing the score screen and upload it public to take part?

36. TonanBora

TonanBora

That is sort of what I meant by taking a video. :p
    Sorry for the confusion.

Zeblote likes this.
  37. Becoming

Becoming

Hey guys, after the sale my inbox exploded and i had to take a break at some point. Please understand that such a sale is an exception and that there are a lot of support requests. Also i am not a fulltime Assetstore Dev and so it can take some time. Just wanted to let you guys know i am doing my best :)

38. Becoming

Becoming

About the whole cheating problem, i know that it is very easy to cheat but i expected that among unity devs there is a certain degree of honesty (and i am sure most people are honest). I was thinking that if someone has to cheat he just gets the prize and has to live with the shame but now i realized it is unfair to those who really try hard to win and see it as a challenge. Anyway i am really flattered that there are actually some people playing it because the demo is fun.

It seems i have to improve a bit on the demo, i will probably introduce an online highscore and some anticheat engine as soon as i am finished with the support requests the just overwhelmed me after the sale.

For the month of may i will just take the 3 highest scores and give away the prizes as planned(if there is a cheater among them i will tolerate it for now). For june i will only accept video proof, sorry for the hassle! Shadowplay will come in handy, those who dont have nvidia cards wont have it as easy but well, thats how it goes for now.

39. Becoming

Becoming

There is a simple answer to this, the objects share the same material, so either you work with presets or you make a material set for each scene.

40. Becoming

Becoming

smart ;) yes i have thought about it but it would be much easier to just upload all scores to a server and check there if the winner scores show up. This is what i'll probably do.

41. Zeblote

Zeblote

Nothing's stopping people from uploading fake score to your server... don't waste your time.

42. Becoming

Becoming

Blending the terrain with horizon is much trickier when it can't be flattened, the easiest way that comes to my mind is to bake the displacement and export it as an obj(check the unity wiki for an exporter) to a 3d program. There you can also put your terrain and fix the transition by hand. If you have it there already you can also let a polyoptimizer run over the horizon meshes and reduce the polycount drastically.

For the flat and slight "hillish" parts you can also use blendmeshes, just scale them very large on X and Z and very little on Y. The actual mountains can be done with local displacement using the displacement patches. This way you can have pretty high resolution on the mountains and still have good performance.

Baking and optimizing is basically also the way i would suggest for those who want to have the best results on mobile.

43. Becoming

Becoming

I was hoping that the anti cheat toolkit from the store would make it hard to do that and i think for saving 35 bucks it would be a bit too much effort to hack it.

44. Becoming

Becoming

I'll send you a PM with a potential fix in a moment ;)

45. Becoming

Becoming

I just sent you a PM, sorry for the delay... it was just too much at once for me after the sale.

46. Becoming

Becoming

Horizon is set up to take only a single directional light for performance reasons, for local lighting you can use the emission features.

47. Becoming

Becoming

Noted!
    Can you import it to a fresh project and see if the problem persists?
    Nope, not at the moment but i have to fix the demo for the cheating problem and then i'll finally make the long overdue mac demo...

48. Becoming

Becoming

That is the case if you just make a build of the example scene as it is(it is setup for desktop), firstly it uses displacement which is not supportetd by majority of devices, secondly the building process is stuck because you have not defined the shader keywords and therefor there are thousands of shader variants pushed to the device. There is a simple way to solve this, just define the shader keywords like explained in the manual. I know this is not ideal for first time users and also the reason i suggest that users should make themselves familiar with horizon before switching to mobile. The overall process is not difficult but a certain knowledge of Horizon[ON] is definitely usefull. I will do as puzzlekings suggested and prepare a tutorial and a scene that is suitable for mobile.

For now here is a checklist for mobile:
    • Dont use displacement unless you know that your target device supports it. If you really need displacement on mobile, bake it.
    • Dont use too many textures(change the features accordingly to suit mobile possibilities) especially on GLES2.
    • Dont just build but first define the shaderkeywords(i am not sure if this is still neccesary for unity 5) see the manual for defining shader keywords.

49. TonanBora

TonanBora

Drat, looks like I better get to popping more balloons, and recording those videos!
    An online highscore board for it would be fantastic! That way, the competition could go on! :D

50. Konst

Konst

Thanks for the answer. Just wanted to make a real(alike) sun movements in my small scene. I also use ProFlare asset for flares which doesnt work quite good with directional light. In this case would be cool to choose between one directional or point light for HorizonON, in a future at least ;) So far asset is really good.