Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hoping to learn how to create an old-school first-person turn-based step-based dungeon-crawler

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Ham08, Apr 24, 2015.

?

Are you interested in this kind of tutorial?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ham08

Ham08

I have learned a lot from all the great tutorials around. Thank you everyone for sharing your great knowledge and experience. I guess I consider myself an advanced beginner to intermediate on some concepts programmer and advanced beginner to intermediate using Unity. I love it. It's fun!

I have been wanting to learn to create an old-school, 3D first-person, turn-based, step-based, party-based, dungeon-crawler like "Eye of the Beholder", "Wizardry", or the more recent Might & Magic X Legacy with Unity, but have never found, in all my searching for years, a tutorial that shows how to at least build the basic foundation that I can learn from, that I can expand and elaborate, that I can add my own flare and additional game-play mechanics to make it, what seems to me, more fun to play.

If any of you know of any that exist, or are interesting in making a tutorial for a basic foundation (sort of a skeleton foundation of these type of game mechanics) I hope that you will share where I can go to learn from..

I guess my first and biggest problem is that I don't understand how to set up a proper player character controller to control this kind of movement or how to use arrays to define the level grid spaces with properties such as passable/notpassable/damaging/slowed-movement, etc. to deal with collision with walls and other obstacles.

If anyone knows where tutorial like this is, if it exists, or are willing to create a tutorial with a basic setup of this kind of game from start to finish, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't speak for anyone else, but it feels like to me that there are plenty of old-timers that would love to learn to program their own old-school dungeon crawler like this. I may be wrong, but it seems like a tutorial like this would be at least somewhat popular, don't you think?

Cheers!
    Ham08

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. joubqa

joubqa

Oh yes! This is exactly the kind of tutorial I've been looking for (in vain). Please do this :)

3. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

4. manutoo

manutoo

My useful tip : don't do it..! :p

I likely got a good bunch of new white hairs trying to figure out how to make a 30-year old technology work against all modern principles which are the base of Unity.
    80% of my game engine is unrelated to Unity, and then I had to sew it with the 20% that is bound to Unity. It's really not a beginner job, a lot of stuff is unnatural, and if you don't know where to start, you'll probably don't know where to finish, even with a tutorial.

And if you try to take this road anyway, do not allow sloped floors, it makes everything so much more complicated to handle.

Else, you can make an Ultima Underworld, or anything with normal 3D movement, it'll be much easier to create, as Unity is made to handle this kind of stuff.