Search Unity

Hmm... What the hell is going on?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by cristo, Dec 16, 2014.

1. cristo

cristo

Can anyone tell me why the Door isn't turning up as a gameObject in the script in the inspector? I'm probably doing something stupid, but I've tried 20 different combinations to make it work and it still resides in this half-dark inaccessible font, (i.e, I can't drag an object from the hierarchy to the inspector).
    The animation is legacy. It plays if I tick play automatically.
    Just can't get the Player to trigger the animation.

Attached Files:

2. codezeero

codezeero

you can use Door = this.gameObject as the script is already attached to the GameObject Door .
    try making the Door to public variable and drag and drop the GameObject "Door" to the Script .

Finally get the animation component using get component function .
    Then play the clip
    Door.GetComponent<Animation>().Play("Take 001");

3. Sbizz

Sbizz

You're in Debug Mode Inspector ;

UnityDebug.jpg

Select "Normal". And your variable is private, so you can do nothing from the inspector. Set it as public if you want to drag something in.

Edit: this is kind of stupid to do that if you want to have the current gameObject 'cause you already have a variable named "gameObject" inherited from MonoBehaviour.

4. A.Killingbeck

A.Killingbeck

It won't show up in the inspector as you're assigning it at runtime. The reason it's shown as inaccessible is it's a private variable and you have the inspector in "Debug" mode. If you change the inspector back to normal mode, you won't see the variable at all.

5. cristo

cristo

many thanks codezero,

Thanks so much for your help. I thought I understood how to do this, and then tried to quickly do it again and ran into three hours of pain. Probably a common experience in coding. ;)

codezeero likes this.
  6. cristo

cristo

7. codezeero

codezeero

Its a good practice I would say, you make mistake and learn from it so you will never re do the mistake again . have a good time coding buddy and remember this community is always here to help you .