Search Unity

Highlighting System [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slice3d, Jul 10, 2012.

1. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Hi,
    I'm apply "highlighting system" in my project.
    It's work nice.
    but, at runtime in background.
    then It's not work.
    how can i fix it?

2. EpicIndustries

EpicIndustries

Hi

The system looks fantastic. Do you have an ETA on Unity 5 compatibility? I'm itching to get my hands on this :)

root8888 likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, great plugin, thanks for putting it together!

We have an issue in Unity 4.6 where highlights are seen through walls even if Highlighter.SeeThroughOff() has been called. Disabling anti-aliasing in Player Settings / Rendering section seems to fix this, but I was wondering if this is a known issue. This seems to happen only in Forward / Gamma, and does not happen in Deferred (Gamma or Linear).

The attached screenshots demonstrate the issue, and I would appreciate your help!

highlighting-with-anti-aliasing.PNG highlighting-no-anti-aliasing.PNG

4. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

I had a bit of trouble with the Linear colour space initially. Something about my project settings that I couldn't figure out what.

I fixed it by creating a new project and making sure that the demo scene worked. Then I imported all my files over from my old project. I lost some info (like input and layers), but I wasn't using it much anyways.

So if you screen goes dark in Linear mode on a mac, it can be fixed.

So far I am LOVING this asset. Exactly what I wanted and so easy to use.

5. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

I just read that this does not work with 2D objects...what kind of 2D objects does it not work with? We aren't using Unity's sprites, but we are using basically quads with 2D textures with alpha transparency. Using this can we replicate the Transparency bit from the webplayer demo?

Edit: Bought the tool, and yes we can use it for 2D objects. It must be just official Unity 2D Sprites that don't work in 3.0.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  6. daisySa

daisySa

Any ETA for Unity 5 compatibility (i.e. the Linear colour space bug whereby the screen goes dark)?

root8888 likes this.
  7. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

We use a camera that isn't always full screen for our gameplay (on iPad our game runs in a 16:9 strip in the center of the screen), this makes the highlights render in the wrong position, offset from the thing they are highlighting. Does anybody know what I would need to change to fix this?

Edit:
    Found it kinda mentioned earlier in this thread :)

In HighlightingBase:

//shaderCamera.projectionMatrix = refCam.projectionMatrix; // Uncomment this line if you have problems using Highlighting System with custom projection matrix on your camera

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  8. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

The system is working, but we're getting this warning in the editor:

HighlightingSystem : Framebuffer depth data is not available and can't be used to occlude highlighting. Highlighting occluders enabled.

Our depth buffer is set to 24-bit, but the rendertexture being passed in there has its depth as 0. Any idea what we need to change? This is on iOS.

Also, one level of our game is crashing due to running out of memory when I add highlights to it, does this system use a lot of memory, and if so, is there a setting I can use to lower that?

EDIT:
    The problem with the Framebuffer depth was the HighlightingMobile script wasn't physically above other post-effect components with OnRenderImage calls on our camera. We had moved it above them, but apparently, if you change the order on a Prefab, you must change it on the base prefab and apply the changes globally, or Unity discards the local change. I moved the component to be the first in the camera after the base camera components, and the problem went away.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  9. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

Another question (I'm full of em!) The highlight seems to have a dark color around it (which can become quite thick depending on the settings used). For example, if we have a white highlight on a white background, it ends up with a dark grey edge around it, though it should be blending with white. We'd prefer not to have this dark line, any idea how to get rid of it?

10. _Lenn_

_Lenn_

This asset does not work in Unity 5. (in 4.6 it is a great asset)
    I think many ppl really need this updated for Unity 5.
    Please upgrade this otherwise nice asset! :)

root8888 and daisySa like this.
  11. lmbarns

lmbarns

What purpose do the Clothrenderer's serve? I commented them out in Unity 5 and I'm still getting outlines around objects (it's working)....haven't tried transparent objects but for general meshes they outline just fine...even with the oculus dk2.

12. EpicIndustries

EpicIndustries

Hi,

Sorry to keep on about this, but how is the Unity 5 compatibility going? Do you have an ETA?

Thanks!

root8888 likes this.
  13. slice3d

slice3d

@EpicIndustries @daisyDynamics @_Lenn_
    Thanks! I'm working hard to release an update as soon as possible and having a good progress so far.
    I'll try to release an update within next 3 weeks if nothing urgent happens.

@roydor
    Unfortunately, Highlighting System is not compatible with Unity 4.6 GUI, since CanvasRenderer is not derived from Renderer component, but implemented in a completely different way.

@SuHwanK
    Sorry, could you please clarify your question?

@Rocket Alien
    Thanks!
    Native depth buffer (used for the highlighting occlusion feature) is not available when hardware anti-aliasing is enabled. You should apply highlighting occluders if you can't use AntialiasingAsPostEffect for some reason. Please read sections '6.5 Antialiasing' and '6.4 Highlighting occlusion' in the provided documentation for more info.

@8bitgoose
    Thanks!
    Sorry to hear you've had problems with the Highlighting System, but I'm glad they've been resolved.
    Although, please make sure that this fix is applied in your copy of the Highlighting System package.

@Dreamzle
    You should be fine until you render your sprites with any component, derived from Renderer base class and "RenderType" is set to "Transparent" or "TransparentCutout" in the shader you use.
    To extend the list of supported renderers - check the 'types' list in the Highlighter.cs script.

With the upcoming update for Unity 5 - it will not be necessary to keep the HighlightingRenderer component on top of all other Image Effects.

Box blur, used in the Highlighting System is really fast compared to the gaussian blur, but it comes with some visual drawbacks. Try to set Downsampling to None and increase number of iterations.

@daisyDynamics
    Linear color space fix is there. For the Unity 5 compatibility ETA - please see above.

@_Lenn_
    Thanks! Please see above for the Unity 5 update ETA.

@lmbarns
    ClothRenderer has been removed in Unity 5, so it's safe to remove it from Highlightable renderer types list.

root8888 and daisySa like this.
  14. silentslack

silentslack

Hey,

Is it possible to exclude children objects from the highlighter? I want to specify that the child gameobject (Icon) isn't included in the highlight.

15. yezzer

yezzer

MSAA on RenderTextures with GearVR doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

16. yezzer

yezzer

oh wait - @silentslack - is that for GearVR? (waves from VRBrighton)

17. silentslack

silentslack

Hey dude, small world :)

Yep currently working like a madman to finish for GearVR - have deployed small test builds on the GearVR but haven't checked the highlight system, are there issues? Oh noes...

18. yezzer

yezzer

Well I'm having problems when MSAA is enabled on the RT's via OVRManager. Using Unity 4.6.1. Also whenever a highlight is active it decimates the FPS!

Of course if MSAA isn't enabled on the RT's it looks.. well.. unpleasant, and I'm loathe to use AA as an image effect on GearVR.

19. yezzer

yezzer

Oh yeah, and in the OVR SDK I'm using (at least), changing the MSAA on the RTs between scenes doesn't work.

20. CaptainKirby

CaptainKirby

Hey, just purchased this great asset, and I am very pleased!
    I am trying to give the blur a grainy look, would this be possible ? I am assuming that i should alter the blur shader(maybe use a noise texture), but I am finding a hard time wrapping my head around the way it all works :)
    Thanks!

21. slice3d

slice3d

Unity 5 update heads up:
    Sorry for the delay, but it seems like I've just finally resolved all major issues with Unity 5 (depth buffer overwriting, highlighting occlusion feature, soft particles, D3D9 half-texel offset, etc). Though there is still a lot of minor tasks to do, so I'll try to release an update within 2 weeks from now.

@silentslack If your Icon has a component derived from Renderer (MeshRenderer for example) - see my answer to Christop here.

@yezzer As far as I know - Unity Technologies is working on a native VR support, so I think your issues will be resolved in the nearest future.

@CaptainKirby Replied to your email.

22. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Hi slice3d,
    I used highlighting system at my project.
    target is obj model file attach at GameScene.

so i have problems.

1. Not work Highligting a smaller highlighting Object, than another highlighting Object.
    2. a part of GameObject.(Child Object) apply Highlighting. and then Highlighting a part(Child Object) of GameObject(Parent Object)'s outline.

thank you.
    and sorry my bad english.
    here is my code.(Highlighter->SetColor(Color value))
    Code (Csharp):
    2.         private void SetColor(Color value)
    3.         {
    4.             if(GameObject.Find("Poso").transform.childCount != 0) return;
    6.             if (currentColor == value) { return; }
    7.             currentColor = value;
    8.             opaqueMaterial.SetColor(ShaderPropertyID._Outline, currentColor);
    9.             // Case #1. Highlighting All Child Object.
    10.             if(!hotkey)
    11.             {
    12.                 for (int i = 0; i < highlightableRenderers.Count; i++)
    13.                 {
    14.                     highlightableRenderers[i].SetColorForTransparent(currentColor);
    15.                 }
    16.             }
    17.                                                          //Case#2. a part of Object.
    18.             else
    19.             {
    20.                 foreach(HighlightingRendererCache c in highlightableRenderers)
    21.                 {
    22.                     if(c.rendererCached == subRend)
    23.                     {
    24.                         GameObject poso = GameObject.Find("Poso");
    25.                         GameObject subObj = (GameObject)Instantiate(subRend.gameObject);
    27.                         if(poso.transform.childCount != 0)
    28.                         {
    29.                             for(int i=0;i<poso.transform.childCount;i++)
    30.                             {
    31.                                 Destroy(poso.transform.GetChild(i).gameObject);
    32.                             }
    33.                             poso.transform.DetachChildren();
    34.                         }
    35.                         Destroy(subObj.GetComponent<MeshCollider>());
    36.                         subObj.transform.parent = poso.transform;
    37.                         subObj.transform.position = subRend.gameObject.transform.TransformPoint(Vector3.zero);
    38.                         subObj.transform.eulerAngles = subRend.gameObject.transform.parent.transform.eulerAngles;
    40.                         subObj.AddComponent<Highlighter>();
    41.                         subObj.GetComponent<Highlighter>().ConstantOn(Color.white);
    42.                     }
    43.                 }
    44.                 hotkey = false;
    45.             }
    46.         }

23. EpicIndustries

EpicIndustries

Hi,

Are we still looking good for the Unity 5 update?

24. slice3d

slice3d

@EpicIndustries
    Yeah, fixing bugs and wrapping up the release. I will send an update for a review to the Unity Asset Store tomorrow.

To All

I will be able to address all support requests right after this. Sorry for the inconvenience, but the bug-free Unity 5 update is really important for everyone, and lots of issues will be automatically resolved after upgrading to this new version.

25. slice3d

slice3d

Highlighting System 4.0 has gone for a review to the Asset Store.
    Changelog from the upcoming 4.0 update:
    • Unity 5 compatibility
    • Windows Phone 8 compatibility
    • Highlighters now rendered via CommandBuffers. Simplified setup and usage – only HighlightingRenderer component is required on Camera
    • Highlighters now culled on the CPU before rendering
    • Ability to save custom highlighting Presets in editor (Presets shared between projects)
    • Added support for ParticleRenderer (Legacy) and ParticleSystemRenderer highlighting
    • Other improvements and performance optimizations

26. slice3d

slice3d

If someone haven't noticed yet - Highlighting System v4.0 has been released in the Unity Asset Store.
    Please update if you're using Unity 5.

@SuHwanK
    Oh no, you should never touch HighlighterInternal.SetColor()! You should modify UpdateRenderers and/or GrabRenderers methods instead. Though I still don't understand what you're trying to achieve, sorry!
    Maybe you can explain it with images? Just show me desired vs current result.

SuHwanK likes this.
  27. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Okay. Upload 3 images.
    current result, and desired.
    H1.png
    1. Highlighting Tree Object.
    H2.png
    2. Select a part of Tree Object.(Not Highlighting)
    H3.png
    3. Select a part of Tree Object in Unity "Scene" Tab.

a part of Tree object is attaching highlighter.
    i'd copy a part of tree object.
    (Create Instantiate a part object and Setup for highlighting)
    but not working.
    so, what can i do for work?
    thank you.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  28. EpicIndustries

EpicIndustries

Just bought the Unity 5 version thanks! :D

Has Basic usage changed?

For example HighlightingBlitter doesn't seem to exist

Could you update your first post?

Cheers

29. fastcall

fastcall

Hi,
    I got one big problem after updating version of the Highlighting System and migrating project to Unity3D 5.0.2f1.
    Highlighting isn't updating after changing visibility of child objects.

highlight1.jpg

highlight2.jpg

If I call ReinitMaterials(), nothing happens. I still see highliting of invisible object.
    Do I have to do something or I should wait for the next version of the system?

Thank you.

30. slice3d

slice3d

@SuHwanK
    If I understand you correctly - you want to be able to highlight individual parts of this tree.
    In this case you should assign Highlighter component to every child object of this tree and implement high-level controller, which will contain references to all those Highlighters.
    In this high-level component you can implement any highlighting logic you want.
    Let me know if you need an example - I will make one for you.

@EpicIndustries
    Thanks! Sure, I will update this as soon as I will address all support requests.
    For now - please read provided documentation, which is always up to date:
    "2.3 Upgrade notes from v3.0.x to v4.0
    1. HighlightingMobile and HighlightingBlitter components have been removed. Use only HighlightingRenderer instead. It is no longer necessary to keep HighlightingRenderer as a first Image Effect on Camera - order of this component (among other Image Effects) defines the point at which highlighting will be applied to the screen (this replaces removed HighlightingBlitter component functionality)."

@fastcall
    Hi! Thanks for your bug report. I'm investigating your issue and will let you know how to fix this.

31. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Thank you very much your kind.

I'm instantiate part of tree object. and clone object transform parent to another place.(Not same parent)
    and set up clone object for highlighting.(addcomponent<HighlightingSystem.Highlighter>)
    but It's not work highlighting.
    thank you.

32. sudhir_kotila

sudhir_kotila

Screenshot_2015-06-10-13-37-44.jpg Hi,
    I have facing this type of problem.
    When i build up this in my Android project then it will be displaying like this.
    It should be displayed only highliting border but rather then it will displyed glow in my whole model.

Can anyone help me to resolve this my problem ?

Thank you in advance.

33. chaseholton

chaseholton

Just updated to Unity 5.1 to find a few errors with Highlighting System! Sad day, its been super beneficial in my game so far.
    These are the errors I'm now receiving since the update. I'm not smart enough to troubleshoot these kinds of things haha.

Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ClothRenderer' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,25): error CS1950: The best overloaded collection initalizer method `System.Collections.Generic.List<System.Type>.Add(System.Type)' has some invalid arguments

Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Highlighter.cs(30,25): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `System.Type'

34. slice3d

slice3d

@fastcall
    Here's your fix. Replace FillBuffer method in the RendererCache.cs script with this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.             public bool FillBuffer(ref CommandBuffer buffer)
    2.             {
    3.                 if (IsDestroyed()) { return false; }
    5.                 if (IsVisible())
    6.                 {
    7.                     for (int i = 0, imax = data.Count; i < imax; i++)
    8.                     {
    9.                         Data d = data[i];
    10.                         buffer.DrawRenderer(renderer, d.material, d.submeshIndex);
    11.                     }
    12.                 }
    14.                 return true;
    15.             }
    Thanks again for your bug report!

@SuHwanK
    Not quite sure I fully understand what you're trying to do, but I'll try to make an example based on your description.

@sudhir_kotila
    Thanks for your bug report!
    Investigating this issue.

@chaseholton
    Just get the latest version of the Highlighting System from the Unity Asset Store.

35. waxx

waxx

I'd like a highlight to be behind player, I tried using SeeThroughOff() and this yields results as presented above. Any idea how to get what I'd like?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  36. iSetsu

iSetsu

I just buy "Highlighting System" in assetstore and can't import it in project. Unity show me message like this:
    Error while importing package: Package has unknown format
    I have Unity 4.6.1f1

37. waxx

waxx

Upgrade to Unity 5.

38. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  39. slice3d

slice3d

@waxx
    It was not possible in the previous version of the Highlighting System, but thanks to the recent v4.0 update (and introduced CommandBuffers in Unity 5) - it seems like I've just found the way to implement that. I don't guarantee anything, but in case of success - I'll add this as a feature to the upcoming patch update.
    HighlightingOverlay.png

@iSetsu
    Yes, current version is compatible only with Unity 5+. If you need an older version of the Highlighting System, which is compatible with Unity 4.x - just send me an email with your invoice number.

@SuHwanK
    Sorry, but what did you mean under "set rendering level(like renderer queue)"? There wasn't a word about that in all your previous messages.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  40. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Forexample, First Draw Highlighting a parent object. and next draw Highlighting a child object on the firstdraw highlighting.
    thank you.

41. slice3d

slice3d

@SuHwanK
    Oh, so you want to get such result? (don't be misled - I photoshopped this image)
    photoshop_overlay.png
    I'm sorry, but unfortunately this is not possible without significantly increasing Highlighting System complexity and as a result - it's performance requirements.

42. SuHwanK

SuHwanK

Okay. That's right(image).
    Also what do you mean by complexity?
    so, what can i do to make it function like the picture above?

43. RandomPolygons

RandomPolygons

Hey, the highlighting system is nice but I have an issue.
    I updated my Unity to 5.1 but then the highlighting stops working, nothing happens when I select the object. But when I downgraded to 5.0.2 and then it works. I tried to downloaded the latest version from Asset store but didn't help.

Any idea what could have changed in between these versions which could cause this and how to fix this? I don't get any errors, just one warning (which I also got in 5.0.2). If you're curious about the warning it is:

HighlightingSystem : Framebuffer depth data is not available and can't be used to occlude highlighting. Highlighting occluders enabled.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    HighlightingSystem.HighlightingBase:OnPreRender() (at Assets/Plugins/HighlightingSystem/Scripts/Internal/HighlightingBase.cs:264)

EDIT: I checked if the demo still worked with 5.1 and it did. But the demo uses different scripts than the ones in the documentation. So I'm not sure where the problem lies.

EDIT 2: Ok, I think I know the problem. It's not the highlighting script that is the problem. After hours of debugging I realized it's the prefabs I have created which is the problem. I could remove this message but maybe this will help someone else in the future so I will leave it here.
    So there's nothing wrong with the script but the error is mine/Unity's new functions. :p

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  44. FuriousAvocado

FuriousAvocado

Hi guys,

I am using the latest version of the plug-in with Unity 5.1.1f1. When my project is set for a standalone build the highlighter works fine but when I change the project settings to an Android build the highlighter colors the whole object and not just an outline. This happens even with the demo project packaged in the plug-in.

Help please? :)

Thanks!
    /ivo

impul101 likes this.
  45. Kmartin_ECS

Kmartin_ECS

Hi,

We just upgraded to this new version from the previous one, and everything is working great except for one problem. There is one situation in which we are rendering a camera on top of another and culling out various layers. When we try to use the highlighting renderer on that camera, we are receiving these console errors over and over:

Dimensions of color surface does not match dimensions of depth surface
    depthSurface == NULL || rcolorZero->backBuffer == depthSurface->backBuffer

Any idea what is going on?

46. impul101

impul101

I am having this same issue! Please help with a fix. Thanks

47. KJoanette

KJoanette

I'm applying the highlighter to a 2D mesh (no backfaces should be culled since my mesh shows fine) but when I rotate the mesh 180 degrees the highlighter doesn't show from the back side. Is there a way to fix this?

48. silentslack

silentslack

Enabling 'Virtual Reality Supported' causes highlighted objects to fill rather than outline:

Any idea what's happening here and if it's a easy fix? Thanks man

49. ScrappyRMH

ScrappyRMH

Does the latest version work with Unity 4.6.6f2? When I try to import the package I receive the following error:

Error while importing package: Package has unknown format
    UnityEditor.AssetStoreContext:OpenPackage(String)

50. slice3d

slice3d

@finger.k4 @impul101
    Hi!
    Here's how to fix highlighting in Android emulation mode on Windows:
    Open HighlightingBase.cs script and change the beginning of the Initialize method to this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.         static protected void Initialize()
    2.         {
    3.             if (initialized) { return; }
    5.             // Determine graphics device version
    6.             string version = SystemInfo.graphicsDeviceVersion.ToLower();
    7.             if (version.Contains("direct3d") || version.Contains("directx"))
    8.             {
    9.                 if (version.Contains("direct3d 11") || version.Contains("directx 11")) { graphicsDeviceVersion = D3D11; }
    10.                 else { graphicsDeviceVersion = D3D9; }
    11.             }
    12.             #if UNITY_EDITOR_WIN && UNITY_ANDROID
    13.             else if (version.Contains("emulated"))
    14.             {
    15.                 graphicsDeviceVersion = D3D9;
    16.             }
    17.             #endif
    18.             else
    19.             {
    20.                 graphicsDeviceVersion = OGL;
    21.             }
    23.             // Initialize shader property constants
    24.             ShaderPropertyID.Initialize();
    @SuHwanK
    I'm sorry but this is not possible to achieve this result with the Highlighting System.

@Seijiro
    Oh, so it's not a problem with the Highlighting System? Phew! :)

@Kmartin_ECS
    Hi,
    Thanks for your bug report. I was able to reproduce this issue and working on a fix.

@KJoanette
    That's easy to change - simply add 'Cull Off' to the HighlightingTransparent.shader

@silentslack
    It works fine for me on both PC and Mac (Unity 5.1.1f1). Any steps to reproduce this issue?

@ScrappyRMH
    No, latest version of the Highlighting System is compatible only with Unity 5+
    Please send me your invoice number - I'll send you the version, compatible with Unity 4.x.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015