Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug High CPU usage using Unity 5.4.0p1

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Deleted User, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi everyone,
    I'm using Antergos Linux release 16.7 (based on Arch Linux) with the KDE 16.08.
    One of my 4 cores reaches the 100% from the moment I've launched Unity and it stays still until I close Unity.
    That's all.
    This doesn't happen when I launch the compiled project alone.
    I also tried Unity 5.4.0p1 on Kubuntu 15.10 on a different computer and the same problem occured.

Attached Files:

2. aaulia

aaulia

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you very much. I suspected this was known. I'll wait.

4. 1rel

1rel

Same issue here. On my Manjaro/Arch Linux box (using Xfce) one of my 4 cores is maxing out on 100%, as long as the scene is not in play mode (like discussed already).

It is really really nice to see the Unity Editor running under Linux! But this issue kind of a show stopper in my case...

5. dirtycoder

dirtycoder

It's a known issue. And it's the only thing that stops me from trying to use Unity on Linux.
    Also you can keep track of the known issues at the bottom of the first post in this topic.

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, I have reported this too.
    It's a known bug, it's been here for so loooooong that I a named this bug Spock.
    Spock can be hard to deal, but you kind of get used to him.
    Give a chance to Spock. <3

7. dirtycoder

dirtycoder

I'm sorry for Spock, but no. :(

8. aaulia

aaulia

Just wondering, do any of you guys check the temporary solution in the link I gave? I don't have Unity 3D linux right now (the download is huge and I'm on quota crap right now).

9. arcooke

arcooke

I'll definitely check when I get home from work and let you know.. this has me excited, the CPU issue has been driving me absolutely mad. Thanks for the link!

EDIT: It works!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  10. aroskuski

aroskuski

I've been using that for a while. It doesn't eliminate the idle usage completely, but it does bring it down from 100% of a core down to more like 8-16% of a core.

11. 1rel

1rel

Thanks aaulia, that solves the issue to a point where things become usable, nice! - Definitely better, than letting the editor rest in play mode all the time (previous "fix"), and then forgetting about it when working on something...

12. dirtycoder

dirtycoder

I haven't tried the fix, and probably won't and will just wait for an official fix...
    But cool that it works! :)