Search Unity

Hierarchy2 - A powerful Hierarchy extension

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by thienhaflash, Jan 16, 2014.

1. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today, Hierarchy v1.3.10 is up. Please remove the old version completely and import this new one !

@cybervaldez : not much changes
    - Fixes for Unity5 & Unity 4.3
    - Compatible with MultiScene
    - Improve reference (have a look at the reference settings above)
    - Clean up / restructrue / minor performance tweaks

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  2. cybervaldez

cybervaldez

I'm an interested buyer, just a few things:
    1. Can I request a feature that allows us to set a custom icon in the hierrarchy?
    2. In your 1st post, the plugin is marked as 15$ but in the asset store it's 25$? (i guess it's just an old post?)

Thanks for making it compatible with MultiScene too, I have that plugin.

thienhaflash likes this.
  3. radimoto

radimoto

I'm getting the following error with Hierarchy v1.3.10, on both my existing project and a completely new project

(Filename: Assets/VietLabs/Core/Editor/module/EditorResource.cs Line: 28)

EditorResource <eye> not found at path=Assets\VietLabseye.png you may have just move Vietlabs folder around, trying to detect the new path ...

None of the Hierarchy2 icons appear so this update appears to be unusable..

thienhaflash likes this.
  4. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@cybervaldez :

1. Something like this has been planned, not exactly what you want and I can not tell for sure when will it be available but it is planned to be delived in next 1-2 updates.
    2. Yep, it's an old post. The price increase after a while, when there are enough new features added. Actually, the first version of Hierarchy2 cost only 5$

Besides Multiscene, the integration has been planed for PrefabEvolution, UVC & Behaviour Designer. I can not yet tell exactly when will this available but it should be in next 1-2 updates.

Thanks a lot :)

5. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@radimoto : I will create a new project and import Hierarchy2 to test right now. but, in the mean time, please tell me which version of Unity are you in ? Did you remove the Vietlabs folder completely before importing Hierarchy2 ?

As the error tells, it can not find the icons so can not shown ... anyway, I'm checking again now ...

Update 1 : Just checked, the icons is inside Vietlabs/Graphics/Editor normally and the icons being shown correctly in Unity 4.6.1 / Windows 8.1 x64

Can you create a new empty project and test it again ? Which OS / Unity version are you in ?

6. radimoto

radimoto

I'm using Unity 4.6.1f1 Pro on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.1

I've updated EditorResource.cs and reversed the path separators from \\ to // and I'm no longer seeing any errors.

publicstaticstringresourcePath {
    varpath = dirList + "//Graphics//Editor//";

Debug.LogWarning("VietLabs//Graphics//Editor// not found, make sure you have imported correctly !\n" + dirList.xJoin("\n"));
    return"Assets//VietLabs";
    }

thienhaflash likes this.
  7. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Oup, maybe it's because of Mac :( I don't have a Mac to test it right now but maybe I need to borrow someone to make a quick test. Thanks for pointing this out radimoto, I will resolve this issue in the next update making Hierarchy2 compatible with Mac.

Thanks a lot, radimoto :)

8. Demigiant

Demigiant

@thienhaflash As a general indication, it you're using Unity's file methods you should always use a normal "/" slash on any OS. When using NET file methods instead it's "/" for Mac and "\" for Windows.

thienhaflash likes this.
  9. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@lzitmee : Thanks a lot for the tip, lzitmee :) I'm not working on a Mac so this information is very valuable to me :) Will change all the slash then :)

10. Demigiant

Demigiant

To extend the tip, an even better way to get the correct slash to use relative to NET methods is to call Unity's Application.dataPath, whose result contains slashes relative to the OS and to NET. Then you can check if it contains forward or backward slashes and store the right one as a variable. That way, if Unity Editor opens to Linux in the future you won't need to change anything :p

thienhaflash likes this.
  11. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey I just updated to the new version and I would love to use the script icon option. Only thing, I can't find a way to set the script icon, so nothing is showing? Am I missing something? Thanks! :)

12. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@lzitmee : Currently if you don't have script attached or that script is in ignored folders, the icons won't be shown. I do that to prevent polluting the Hierarchy with unnecessary icons... So popular library components like NGUI's won't shown an icon, not sure if that's your case. It's been planed to be configurable in the Reference so you can remove / add your specific ignore folders...

Would you please try to create a new Monobehaviour and attach to some GameObject to see if it's working ... btw, can you tell me which Unity version & your OS so maybe I can have a look again to see if there's something wrong ?

13. Demigiant

Demigiant

Oh I understand now. It works perfectly with MonoBehaviours in lose scripts. I was working with a project where I use an external assembly to code everything, and I realize now that those are not recognized by Hierarchy2 even when attached to a GameObject, but that's no big deal :)

14. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I haven't check that case before but currently if Hierarchy2 can not track down the source file it will not shown, maybe I should add MonoBehaviours inside dll support in updated versions :) Thanks a lot for the idea lzitmee :)

15. Saxi

Saxi

16. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Saxi : It's a brilliant idea, I will have a look to see if it can be done or not ... From what I can see right now it should be doable ...

17. OnePxl

OnePxl

18. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Absolutely cool ! Thanks a lot OnePxl

I will integrate it into Hierarchy2 for the next update, I don't even know it exist before, so thanks a lot again !!!

@everyone : If you have any suggestion or feature request please do tell me, I will try my best to add it all for Hierarchy2

Thanks a lot !

19. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hey can I suggest adding the feature @Saxi suggested only as an additional option from the preferences? I like to keep Hierarchy2 and the Unity editor in general as light as possible :)

20. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Absolutely what I planed to do, man, I'm about to turn it off by default (As I think that it will have some performance overheads), then assigning some hot keys to quickly turn on / off the behavior, so you will always have it at hand.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, lzitmee :) It's a good one :)

21. OnePxl

OnePxl

How about holding ctrl while hovering over the hierarchy highlights the objects? Or something to that effect.

22. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@OnePxl : Sounds reasonable to me, will absolutely try it out to see how it works :) Thanks for the suggestion, man :)

OnePxl likes this.
  23. tosiabunio

tosiabunio

@thienhaflash : any news regarding UVC integration? I can open prefabs for editing from Assets menu but I would prefer to do that from hierarchy window... A simple offset would suffice if UVC is detected.

24. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@tosiabunio : I actually do the offset, and it's working fine but I encounter somewhat weird problems where the locks is not working correctly anymore, still inspecting, I will try to issue an update this week. Thanks a lot for reminding me, man :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    tosiabunio likes this.
  25. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Besides UVC, I also got some integration requests from Jess for uFrame, NodeCanvas, PrefabEvolution and support for HierarchyDraw. And some bug reports on isolation modes

So looking ahead for Hierarchy2 v.1.4.0, everyone :)

tosiabunio likes this.
  26. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today, UVC seems to be working fine with Hierarchy2 now

tosiabunio likes this.
  27. Meceka

Meceka

Hello, hierarchy 2 is causing a very bad performance impact on my unity editor. It started by itself and when I remove hierarchy from project folder and performance impact was gone. I tested without removing and just closing hierarchy tab, and it works fine when there isn't hierarchy tab available. Is this a known issue?

28. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@Mecaka : It's not a known issue. Can you give me some more information about your OS & Unity setup also something about your scene. Which version of Hierarchy2 are you in ?

29. Meceka

Meceka

Reimported hierarchy and it works fine now :/ I have no idea what changed.
    4.6.2 Windows 8.1 latest version (it was latest version when it didn't work well, I imported same from C:\Users\**\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store

30. Meceka

Meceka

I tested on another scene before posting that, when I tested it in my main scene, unity runs about 0.2fps I suppose.

I tried in an empty scene, runs well, loaded that other scene which was working fine, it works fine too. Then came back to this scene. Realised there are some Letter Icons (they are prefab icons i guess) on hierarchy. Then i deleted those gameobjects and performance impact was gone.

Then I realised that you shared a gif showing that we can change icons from preferences. (Documentation is old and I didn't know this since a long time)
    Un-ticked prefab, and now it works perfect. There is some major bug on that prefab icons.

31. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Thanks a lot for reporting this, Meceka, I will have a look and issue an update asap. Thanks again for reporting, You are the man.

32. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's almost lunar new year here at Viet Nam... so, I wish everyone a Great New Year, year of the Sheep ...

Just as any long vacation (longest here, official 10 days off) I had time to put more focus on Hierarchy2 this week, and this time the performance was high in priority ...

I knew that Hierarchy2 does not perform very well as I did not do any optimizations on it before. I supposed it to be good enough and was putting more focus on features and bugfix. I thought to myself : Hey, it's only several icons on the Hierarchy, how can it kills the performance? Until Meceka report a serious problem about performance, I realize that it's time to do something about it ... After lots and lots of change (almost a rewrite, but thanks god, it's modular enough to just copy / paste and modify a little bit here and there !), the current internal alpha version of Hierarchy2 v1.4.0 perform quite well, about 2-3x faster and almost zero allocated (some are essential and some are from Unity's internal I can do nothing about ... )

Someone ask me for a cheaper, lite version of Hierarchy2 (5$ should be fair I think), so I'm thinking of adding one limited in features set, only the eye, lock, parent indicator and maybe some more helpful shortcuts. This will absolutely good for people that have no interest in custom script icons, layer / tag icons, or advanced features like isolate, camera look through... or just limited in budget. So what do you guys think ? What should be in and out for the Lite version ?

tosiabunio likes this.
  33. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today ...

As Saxi suggested and from OnePx's codebase, here come the SceneView Boundary Highlight. I did some adjustment from OnePx's work, hope you guys like it, what do you think ? Which version do you prefer ?

34. jerotas

jerotas

What's the purpose of that? Might be pretty cool depending what it's showing.

thienhaflash likes this.
  35. OnePxl

OnePxl

It looks great; though I didn't write that code I linked!

thienhaflash likes this.
  36. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

It's showing the boundary of the objects when you rollover the GameObject in the Hierarchy so you will have an overview of how where and big / small this GameObject is. It should help a lot on a big / complex scene I think ...

37. OnePxl

OnePxl

Did you implement a preference for holding a modifier, or does it always show the bounding box?

38. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

I think it's more handy just to move your mouse to get the boundary, holding shift is somewhat holding you off. So I go for no modifier keys, but you can turn if off and on by pressing a shortcut. I haven't yet determined which one is good, anyone has a suggestion ?

39. Meceka

Meceka

I think we should be able to toggle showing that bounding box in preferences. In some cases I have lot's of debug rays, colliders, etc. And will need to disable hierarchy's boxes when modifying them.

40. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Code (CSharp):
    1. I think we should be able to toggle showing that bounding box in preferences
    Absolutely, man, and it's even faster if you remember the shortcut to turn it on & off
    Code (CSharp):
    1. you can turn if off and on by pressing a shortcut

41. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

Good news for today : H2Lite beta1 is now available for existed customers of Hierarchy2, please send me your invoice number and try it out !

H2Lite is not just a strip down version of current Hierarchy2 but harnessing lots and lots of optimizations and features redo to achieve maximum performance possible, some included :
    - Inlining parts of heavily used codes instead of function calls
    - Caching everything that takes a long time to process
    - Using constants configuration where instead of saving to EditorPref
    - Minimizing render calls as much as possible
    - Stripping down parts of features that are little uses​

For the features, currently H2Lite included :
    - The script indicator
    - The lock icon
    - The active icon
    - The child count / combine children.
    - A shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Shift + 0 to quickly toggle using H2Lite​

Still some more thing to add (beta2, maybe ...) :
    - A shortcut to create new GameObject
    - A shortcut to reset Transform (position / rotation / scale / all)
    - Third party extensions integration
    - Documentation​

The idea is collect only essential functions that benefits users the most. If anything you think it's a must in H2Lite then raise your voice! I will always on all my ears !

Thanks a lot.

42. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

Hi there!

First off, I just wanted to thank you for a fantastic tool - Hierarchy 2 makes working with Unity so much more enjoyable! The whole team is going a little less insane everyday thanks to you ;)

One thing that I would LOVE to see as a part of Hierarchy is the ability to color-code gameobjects in the hierarchy view - not sure if this has come up before but when working with large scenes, getting a quick overview via colorized objects would really help to orient quickly. If this is at all possible to implement, please look at the mockup I attached to give you an idea of what it could look like:

Hierarchy2_Feedback.png

Thank you again for a great plugin and for being active on the support!

43. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@RupertMcG : It's a good idea, man. I will implement it in the next version.

Thanks a lot for your feedback :) and btw, your mockup looks really great !

44. RupertMcG

RupertMcG

You are awesome, thank you so much!

Ofcourse this is where I bring up another thing that's been annoying me and everyone I know :) Is there a way to keep Unity from automatically opening the group/parent gameobject in the hierarchy as soon as an object inside it is selected? This also happens when you add objects to that same parent, and is driving me insane :p Unity opens a group that may have hundreds of objects in it, then you have to scroll all the way up top to close it again, every time :) An option in Hierarchy 2 to allow or disallow this behaviour would be a godsend...

Many thanks again, looking forward to the next update!

OnePxl likes this.
  45. mdrotar

mdrotar

Small request for a future update: When you create a New Empty Child or New Empty Sibling from the context menu while working within a Canvas tree of the new UI, it would be great if it could create a new object with a RectTransform instead of a regular Transform.

Thanks for a great asset and awesome support!

46. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@RuperMcG : I understand what you mean and it's cool, man. I will absolutely have a look to see if it's doable or not
    @mdrotar : That's a good idea man, will definitely do it in the next update. Thanks a lot

Not sure why I haven't got any alerts about those comments being added, previously the alert works fine to me. I usually check alerts several times a day ...

47. Victor_Kallai

Victor_Kallai

Hello again ;)

I'm getting a lot of warnings on Mac from Hierarchy and the icons are not showing:

VietLabs\Graphics\Editor\ not found, make sure you have imported correctly !
    Assets/VietLabs
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    EditorResource:get_resourcePath() (at Assets/VietLabs/Core/Editor/module/EditorResource.cs:28)
    EditorResource:GetTexture2D(String) (at Assets/VietLabs/Core/Editor/module/EditorResource.cs:56)
    h2Icon:Draw(Rect, GameObject, String, Nullable`1) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/core/h2Icon.cs:40)
    h2Active:Draw(Rect, GameObject) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/ui/h2Active.cs:26)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2:EditVisible(Rect, GameObject) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:435)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2:h2DrawIcons(GameObject, Rect) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:802)
    vietlabs.Hierarchy2:HierarchyItemCB(Int32, Rect) (at Assets/VietLabs/Hierarchy2/Editor/Hierarchy2.cs:1113)

I've deleted the plugin several times, and re-imported it, but nothing has changed.
    The warnings are filling up all the console, and unity starts to work very slow because of it.
    What can be the problem?

48. OnePxl

OnePxl

It can't find "VietLabs\Graphics\Editor\", did you move the Hierarchy2 folder after import?

49. mdrotar

mdrotar

50. thienhaflash

thienhaflash

@mdrotar : Thanks for your help.
    @OnePxl, @Victor_Kallai : Sorry for this inconvenient

Some of the new features :

Component Icons

Inspector Lock

I did a lot of optimizations for Hierarchy2 recently and the current version is already pretty stable, anyone want to give me a hand on testing it by joining beta group for Hierarchy2 v1.4.0 ?