Search Unity

DAILY DEAL 50% OFF Heroic Fantasy "Werecreatures" Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PROTOFACTOR_Inc, Sep 25, 2015.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hi there! This is the next pack of characters in the pipe. Some nice "were" creatures to populate your heroic fantasy project or even some other genre. This pack should include: Werecrab, werefish, werehog, weretoad, weresquid, weresnake, wererhino and werecroc.
    This pack will have Legacy and PBR support as well as on place and root motion animations.
    The pack gathering multiple models will be created once 3 of these would be done. As usual upon each new released Add-On the price of the pack will go up until the last Add-On is done.

HEROIC FANTASY WERE-CREATURES PACK

DIRECT LINK TO ASSET STORE

WERECRAB

WERECRAB WEB PLAYER

WEREHOG

WEREHOG WEB PLAYER

WERANGLERFISH

WERANGLERFISH WEB PLAYER

WERERHINO

WERERHINO WEB PLAYER

WERESQUID

WERESQUID WEB PLAYER
    Hope you guys will be looking forward to grabbing the pack.

If you have any questions or comment, fell free to reply on this thread or send me a PM.

Cheers! :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    Sliceandkill and Gozdek like this.
  2. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

3. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

***reserved***

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Since they are lycanthrope creatures will they also have full body morphability back into human form?
    :) Just kidding.
    Nice concept for your pack, and interesting selections for the types of were creatures.

PROTOFACTOR_Inc likes this.
  5. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

They are "were" creatures. A Lycanthrope means literally lycos : wolf and antropos: human so basically a werewolf... :) Anyways, would be crazy if I could manage to create such a morph, right? :) But heck, no, don't expect that.
    As for the selection of character, I definitely wanted to keep me out of the usual minotaur ish, werewolf ish creature ( that I already created long ago). Really looking forward to the weresquid and werefish on my end.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah that would be a crazy morph, and a serious waste of development time for you.

All your concept decisions sound pretty original. Do you have concept sketches?
    Maybe look into kua-toa concepts for reference on werefish, and bullywug for weretoad. Those are original D&D creatures, but have varying styles of concepts.
    Might also consider calling it a were-piranha or something more specific - so to leave open options for different species of werefish creatures.

7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

The morph would indeed take a serious and tedious time to create but would be a wonderful addition. It's definitely a cool idea. I could absolutely think about some scenarios with that. Might be kind of too specific and niche though...

references you mentioned: might give it a look, always inspiring to see some other artist's point of view and artistic decisions.

Don't have any concept sketches done though. Usually do them in Zbrush in speed sculpt and see if they make sense to me. Once I find a shape to be the good direction, I just keep at it. For the werefish , I wasn't thinking about the piranha but more about something abyssal with some glowing // flashing stuff. Some can be really creepy.

8. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Yeah it would definitely be cool to see it happen on one complete clean mesh - but the best process to set this up in a game would be to have subtle morphs on the human character mesh and also some subtle morphs on the were creature then poof "Fiona/Shrek" shape shift with lots of covering fx that hides the ol' model switch-a-roo. :)
    That's how Id do it anyway.

9. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Indeed some intermediate morph targets would be needed to reach the first and last moment of the transformation. Would think about doing it the same way I think.

Anyways, little update for the week end. Low poly version is now done, 10.5 Ktris and uses 2048*2048 textures. Right now just the legacy version is ready. Will do the PBR version later on. Here is what it looks like at the moment.

Hope you guys will like it.

AaronClark likes this.
  10. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Looks real good. Nice quality.
    The cuts on the back might be slightly too dark but I really like the gradations in the base colors.
    Do you mind sharing your texturing process? Are these textures generated in a sculpting program?
    Quality stuff!

11. hopeful

hopeful

As for the abyssal fish, maybe you're thinking angler?

Looking forward to this set. :)

12. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

@theANMATOR2b : Glad you like it.
    I might tweak a bit the texture and tone the cuts and sratches down a little. I think you’re right. Still a work in progress...
    Nothing out of the ordinary for texturing, either go with photoshop or substance painter after baking all the necessary map in topogun or Xnormal. Usually do the base color texturing on the high rez model in zbrush.

That's it.

13. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Exactly! :)

Glad to see you on board.

14. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

This isn´t pleading for a freebie. Just a suggestion.

When you have the pack going, maybe after a few new creatures, you should consider adding your old ´were´ creatures to the pack. ´werewolf sold separately´ just sounds funny for a were-package.

How I handle were-morphs. Fade in - Fade out, lots of dust and debri particles and a push-back on the player character that knocks him into the air so he can´t get a good look at the whole transformation process close up. Smoke and Mirrors... smoke and mirrors.

Edit.. seriously, leave the anglerfish ´bait´ as something we can change.. can you imagine the hilarity of a were-angler with a donut?

15. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

The werewolf is an older creature that would either need to be updated or totally redone. It has a more cartoon ish feel than what is planned to do.
    We were mostly talking about morphing I think, but of course the decision that makes most sense in development cost would be yours.
    Regarding the were-angler, what's wrong with the glowing / flashing appendix? Not that it's hard to make it an optional part to hide or show; but it's a pretty cool weapon. Didn't get what you said about the donut...

16. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Sorry if I came off too serious. It was a joke that the were-angler would have a donut as the lure.. or maybe bacon strips. In the wild they use the lure to bring fish into their mouths.. but if it were a were-angler, it would be trying to trick humans.. hence the donut. I can already picture Homer Simpson dangling from its mouth.

17. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

lol, yeah that plus the fact it was a hard morning for me... I totally didn't get it... haha! :) thanks for explaining so that my slow brain grasps it! :)

Update: character is now rigged and skinned and already has a set of 8 animations.

18. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey rosor - I got a chance to look at the image of the werecrab again, and I think you might consider lightening up the head area just a little bit. There seems to be some nice detail in that area, and looking at the overall composition of the texture shading, the face seems a little dark to me. I think if it was similar to the upper arms and claws it would look even better.

Nice progress. I'm guessing you are not married nor have any children. :)

19. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

@ theANMATOR2b : Mmm, just wait and see. Must be the lighting in the render. It was a quick render set up to tease potential customer, and the shadowed area are not bright enough. It looks really cool in real time though. I'll try to get this done ASAP and embed a Sketchfab viewer so that you guys can see. Just need to finish up all the animations. Should be pretty quick, just a simple biped. Hopefully, there won't be a big load of freelance gig before being done with it.

Edit: here is another quick render. Hope you see better.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  20. Enoch

Enoch

What I would love to see is a smaller version of what this creature is based on. IE a werecrab also includes a small hermit crap that has a matching texture. So even if no morph was available I could scale over time via a animation curve and simply swap out creatures after it finishes. I guess its a poor mans morph but with some particle effects it could be very workable.

21. hopeful

hopeful

@Enoch - There is another crab model by PROTOFACTOR, but unfortunately it is a completely different type of crab so it won't work for this purpose. However, there are more normal looking snake (viper), crocodile, rhino, and pig models by PROTOFACTOR ... possibly one or more of them might be usable in a pseudo morphing scheme with upcoming were-creatures.

If the werefish is based on the angler fish, there is a model for the angler in the store by another asset maker.

22. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

@Enoch : I'm sorry but I'm not planning on doing anything like this... Just the were versions will be available in this pack. Alos as @hopeful mentioned we have several animals that can match the were counterpart, however it can be weird to have a rhino transforming into something slightly smaller ... Just my opinion though.
    Update: just need to create the death animation and it will be possible to showcase the model in Sketchfab!! :) The model will have a set of 26 animations (8 being root motion variations)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  23. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hey guys! Here is the sketchfab viewer for the Werecrab.

The unity web player will follow shortly. Also, not sure if this creature should be released directly or if 2 others should be created prior to the release of the big pack and individual packs...

24. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

25. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

WERECRAB is now live on the Asset Store! DIRECT LINK

26. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Next one to come: Werehog, well it's pretty much a wereboar as well. This one will have some oggle able props, shoulder pad, forearm pad, weapon (mace).
    Here is the rough mid/ high poly version (which is still an early WIP):

Hope you guys will like it.

AaronClark likes this.
  27. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

This is brilliant ... can't believe I missed this thread.

28. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

I was wondering what you were doing... lol
    Edit: glad you like it.

hopeful likes this.
  29. hopeful

hopeful

If it's not too much trouble, see if you can have the clothing / weapon meshes be optional. I might want my were-creatures in a sci-fi / mutant scenario.

30. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

No worries
    No worries, looks like I mispelled a word in the previous post. I was saying toggle able, like show / hide. They will be separate objects. However I still want to keep the underwear thing that will be in the texture.

31. hopeful

hopeful

LOL ... I wondered what you meant. (I'm a little sleep-deprived right now.)

So "toggle," not "ogle." ;)

32. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Now that is funny!
    That's alright - oggle able props will be nice also. ;)

Keep up the awesome progress. BTW how'd you get the werecrab through asset approval so fast? Is there a fast lane I'm not aware of?

33. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Lol, yep... sorry about that. Wasn't meant to be a joke... hahah:)
    trusted asset publishers can see their content published faster indeed.

34. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Little update, low poly version of the model is now done, legacy texturing is done as well, PBR texturing almost complete. Model is also, rigged and skinned and ready for animation. Not sure when the animations will be done since some freelance gig just cam up...
    Here is a quick render of what the model looks like so far. hope you guys will like it. Geometry is 14732 tris with all the models displayed. shoulder pad and forearm armor can be shown / hidden since they are separate objects.

theANMATOR2b and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

You know, when you started this thread I counted the werehog as among the critters I probably wouldn't be using. But now that I see his charming pot belly, I'm thinking he has definite character potential. :)

36. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

He's got something from those star wars characters guarding the entrance of Jabba's palace. Glad you like it.

37. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

One of my favorite characters from the SW universe when I was younger. Then Nintendo stole the idea from Lucas and used it in Zelda. They look nice in that world as well.

Nice progress. Check the bicep area texture.

38. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

I know, no worries. Need to tone down some few things in that area. Thus is the legacy texture, need to bake things efficiently but sometimes it needs some extra tweak.

39. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks great ... loving it so far.

40. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Glad you like the content of the pack so far :) Hope you'll like the others even more.

41. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

little update: Werehog will have a set of 30 animations (10 being root motion variations), just need the death one for the animation set to be complete. A few, tweaks in textures and skinning and set model should be ready by Monday.

42. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

There we go! Werehog should be live on the Asset Store in a few minutes. Meanwhile you guys can go check it out either on Sketchfab or in its web player.

WEREHOG WEB PLAYER

43. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

WEREHOG is officially live on the ASSET STORE :)
    DIRECT LINK

44. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

sweet ... can't wait to pick up this pack. Hope it's released soon as a pack.

45. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Need to be a little patient, once the third were creature would be ready it'll be possible to create the pack. Price of the pack on first release will be around $70 / $75, pretty much the price of the 3 models separately, but will have 5 free add-ons. The complete pack should cost around $125 / $130.

46. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Awesome ... will buy as soon as it's available.

47. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

If at all possible, can you give a few of the were creatures different types of weapons such as one with a spear, one with a 2 handed sword / axe and so on?

48. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

What do you mean? Multiple weapon types per creature? Or each creature with a different weapon type?
    I was thinking about doing the were-angler next, and give it a halberd and a sword. All in a fin-ish style.

49. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I was just thinking having each creature with a different weapon style. So that way, you could have the were-creatures be a faction by themselves. Some with halberds, spears, swords ... perhaps one with a bow and perhaps another as a spell caster?

50. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Not sure if you'll have any range weapon guys or spell casters. I know that the were rhino Will have a similar weapon as the bruiser dude in vindictus: a big heavy log with,some kind of spikes on it.