Search Unity

Heroes of Rune *Free to Play Browser-Based MOBA Game!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jonkuze, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

*Free to Play Browser-Based MOBA Game!

Check out Heroes of Rune - Alpha Gameplay Trailer on YouTube: Youtube.com

About Game:

Heroes of Rune
    is an epic new casual game fusing elements of Multiplayer RPG and MOBA style gameplay. Team up with friends for Quests, Raid challenges, engage in fast-paced PvE, PvP combat in an open-world environment. Once you are ready for more action, go head to head with other teams in the Rune Wars.

Rune Wars includes a unique capture & defend gameplay with traditional MOBA objective of destroying the opposing team's ancient. Unlike other MOBAs, Heroes of Rune will not include lanes or auto-spawning minions. Players have the freedom to roam the environment, hunt various monsters for experience points, collect gold, purchase upgrades, and spawn minions that will follow heroes directly into combat!

Heroes of Rune rewards players with Battle Points for their achievements throughout the game. With Battle Points players unlock additional game content such as new playable characters, and skins, along with earning higher ranks on the leaderboard. Players will also have an option to unlock this content through the purchase of in-game currency, but have no fear! Heroes of Rune will not adopt a pay-to-win model. Heroes of Rune will offer an equally balanced player experience regardless of play style.

STORY (PROLOGUE): The World of Gaea has fallen into peril as strife brews amoung divided heroes. Some seek to control and summon the powers of ancient Runes, while few have chosen to defend it! will order be restored once again... or will all perish! Gaea's Fate lies in the hand and sword of Heroes of the Rune Wars!

Game Features:
    • Free To Play: No purchase necessary to play.
    • Play Anywhere: Play the game anywhere, anytime on any Windows, Mac, or Linux-based OS with WebGL enabled Web Browsers.
    • Open World: Explore a realm of various terrains discovering monsters, loot, and up to 6 players in a single game session.
    • Heroes: Begin with a Knight Defender, Black Wizard, or Guardian Angel. Unlock 6 additional Rune Heroes all with unique skill and abilities.
    • Inventory: Manage a hero's inventory of up to 12 slots available to store/sell or swap in/out loot or purchased boost items anytime during gameplay.
    • Quests: Join a Sandbox gameplay session that includes free-roaming, quests, raid challenges, fast-paced PvE, PvP combat in a friendly, open world environment.
    • Rune Wars: A unique, Capture & Defend gameplay with traditional MOBA objectives. Unlike other MOBAs, players are free to roam an open world, hunt monsters for loot, purchase upgrades, and spawn minions that follow heroes directly into combat!
    • Battle Points: BP is awarded for the players' progress and achievements in both gameplay modes. Battle Points are used to rank players and unlocks additional game content.
    • Gems: Gems are purchased to help unlock heroes, acquire cosmetic upgrades, and additional content that is otherwise unlocked through BP. *No pay to win.
    • Leaderboard: Compete with other players for top PvP, PvE kills, or join the ranks among the best players of the game. *Ranks determined by BP & Stats.
    Social Networks:

Visit Official Website: Heroesofrune.com | Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com | Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  2. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Wow man, really coming along!

jonkuze likes this.
  3. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks! So much more to do... = )

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Great News! Heroes of Rune was Nominated for "Most Promising Upcoming Game Award" at Casual Connect, SF - Indie Prize Showcase! We didn't win, but I will still take it as a win and confirmation of heading in the right direction! = )

5. jaybennett

jaybennett

Kuroato,

I think you are a very skilled gamedev (have the UnityAGK and seen you around before) but for this preview I have some criticism:

1. Combat mechanics didn't show anything besides point and click. I think you need to really spend time on the ability system, otherwise it just looks like very boring interactions right now.

2. Visuals and art style is same-old same-old. Nothing we haven't seen before. I think you could make a much more original style and capture more interest.

I think you have a lot of talent in making games so I just want to see you succeed on this one :)

6. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks for the Feedback, really appreciate it. Regarding the Combat, yes it is very Basic right now because I am only showing the Alpha Demo in that Gameplay Preview Trailer. We are working on the Combat System, so much more to come.

Regarding art style... I wish I could invest more on this, but it would cost me an arm and a leg to hire full-time artists to revamp the art style. I think we can manage to do something new and exciting with the gameplay style we are aiming for. So for now, the art style will not change, but the gameplay will definitely be something to keep an eye on if you like MMORPG and MOBA style games.

7. jonkuze

jonkuze

Support Heroes of Rune by Giving our Epocu Campaign a Tweet or Facebook Share! Click here: http://epocu.com/campaigns/heroes-rune/, and support! http://Epocu.com is a New Game Discovery Platform, Great for Indies with Upcoming Titles! Check it out, and show some Love to Heroes of Rune!

8. GeneBox

GeneBox

Love it, like the art a lot too! Good job!

jonkuze likes this.
  9. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks GeneBox so much more to come! = )

10. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update: Just updated the the description of the Game on this Thread, so scroll up to learn more... ;)

11. jonkuze

jonkuze

12. chrisall76

chrisall76

Looks nice, good job.

jonkuze likes this.
  13. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Chris! :D

14. balaam

balaam

This looks really pretty!

15. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Balaam, I am trying to aim for a colorful, friendly game environment that can appeal to a wide audience.

16. jonkuze

jonkuze

Check out the Latest Unity Bar & Grill Podcast for a review, and Q&A regarding Heroes of Rune's Development Process. Thanks Unity Bar & Grill crew for inviting me (Jonathan Malave, Creative Director of MijiKai Games) to be apart of the Podcast! You can check out our segment here at 25:30 on Youtube.

Note: you may notice a small lag or delay in audio but it will restore in the video.

17. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Was really great to have you on, look forward to having you on again in the future.

jonkuze likes this.
  18. jonkuze

jonkuze

Help Support Heroes of Rune with a Tweet or Share via our new Thunderclap Campaign! Please visit http://goo.gl/fR2Sch for more info, we only need 100 Supporters! Thunderclap is like a Kickstarter for Games but without donating any money! We appreciate your Support!

Also if you have an Upcoming Game yourself try using Thurderclap for Promo! ^_^

19. jonkuze

jonkuze

20. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update: We just updated the game's description above so check it out for some additional details about the game. Also we just wanted to share that Heroes of Rune has been Featured on a number of Notable Websites today such as mmoattack.com, mmohuts.com, and onrpg.com to name a few! Keep following us for more updates, more to come...

21. MrAkroMenToS

MrAkroMenToS

May I ask you how many developers do you have? Did you do the whole game yourself?
    I would like to ask you about a little bit of the systems what you use.
    Do you made a new server program or do you use SmartFoxServer? (If you use your own what is it? some type of Socket server?)
    How many hours did you spent to develop the game?

It looks great ;) Good job!

22. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks for the compliments!

Regarding Questions... Team, there are 2 Developers, 2 Character/Level Design Artists, 1 Music Composer, and 1 UI Artist, although not everyone is working on the game full-time except for the Developers as the entire team is fully outsourced. For the Servers we are using Photon Cloud Networking. How many Hours? hmmm that's a tough one, lets just say this project has been in development somewhere between 4-6 month. The project originally began as a different project (game) titled "CoinRPG" you can play it here at http://coinrpg.com... I have since abandoned this CoinRPG game idea (for now...) as it evolved into what is now Heroes of Rune (in other words re-purposed the codebase and heavily modified since for Heroes of Rune).

23. MrAkroMenToS

MrAkroMenToS

I am really surprised that you guys use a prewritten server. I for my little game made a new server with sockets and with my own database connector, ect.
    Although i thought deep in my brain that you are not alone :) I hope that this will be a "game" one day, good luck for that.

A little advice. I personally more like the action combat system, than the point and click combat system. (it is just a personal thing)

24. jonkuze

jonkuze

Well I'm not limited to a Pre-Written Server... Photon Cloud does not allow for Server Logic unless you decide to use a Photon Dedicated Server. So really at anytime I can switch over easily if needed. If I use Photon Dedicated Server I can write any Server Side Game Logic I require, Photon Cloud simply helps players to Connect to each through their Master Server or Lobby that Broadcasts the Game and Handles some Messaging... so yes in Photon Cloud there are some Limitations but again, we can move to Dedicated anytime we need. Hopefully I explained that correctly... I'm not a Networking Pro lol...

Action Combat System is Cool! But the Game Idea I am aiming for is a mix between MMORPG and MOBA so the combat system I have should work just fine for this game i'm pretty sure.

25. MrAkroMenToS

MrAkroMenToS

I dont want to change your mind about the game what You (and your team) created. I am just telling that the gamer world saw a few cool action comat games.
    For example there is TERA online (action combat MMORPG). There is SMITE action combat MOBA game. So you are not limited to the point and click system, because some ppl done it before.

Anyways, let's change topic. What are you planning? When can we play with the game, or at leas some beta test (or alpha test). I would like to try it as soon as possible :) It seems to be a good game if you keep working on the combat system and the on the skill system.

jonkuze likes this.
  26. akyoto_official

akyoto_official

Even though I'm not in your target group (casual gamers) it looks quite nice, keep up the good work!

jonkuze likes this.
  27. jonkuze

jonkuze

No worries, everyone is welcome to share their thoughts... I actually really Love Action Combat System! But I decided against it for different reasons, one of them being that a Point and Click System actually makes the game much easier to Play, while a Action Combat System would not be considered a casual game as you require further time and skill to improve your accuracy of combat, while a Point and Click System Auto-Locks your Target and you are Guaranteed an Attack Damage as long as you are in Range to Attack the Target.

There are other reasons I decided against this Combat System, but that's one of the main reasons above... as my target Market is Casual Gamers. Not the Candy Crush type of Gamers lol, but the kind that enjoy MMORPGs like World of Warcraft, MOBA's like Smite, or Dota2 and others that take more skill and time to play but these people don't have the time anymore to continue playing these games... My Goal is create something that is easier and fun for people to quickly get into and play without much time and effort learning complex play styles.

My Dream is to Create more Real-Time Action Based Games, but the problem with this Dream is that it's not so easy to compete with other Bigger Game Titles that Do Real-Time Combat / Action Games Much Better...

So when you are deciding on the kind of game to Invest alot of Time and Money into as an Independent Developer you need to think very wisely about your Competition, your Market, and how Expensive it would be to accomplish something better than the Competition or Create something Unique that People can Enjoy that is Unlike other Games on the Market. That's my Goal here... to Do something New and Try to Not To Compete with Others in a Saturated Market of Cloned MOBA's and MMORPGs.

I should have a close alpha, beta coming up in maybe the next 2-3 Months from Now... If you Signup for the Newsletter, Mailing List you will get an Invite to the Closed Alpha, or Beta. http://signup.heroesofrune.com

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  28. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you!!! = )

29. MrAkroMenToS

MrAkroMenToS

I see your point and I understand it completely :)
    It is true that if you are alone or you have a small team, you cannot face against a mountain (by mounain I mean a big company with thousends of workers). That is why people invented indie games, to give space for the small groups.
    Kepp the hard work up, and hopefully we will se eachother in the alpha test. I subscribed for the newsletter. ASAP i get it I will start to play with it. 'till then bye, See you soon.

30. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Mrakromentos! I will keep you guys posted on the latest.... = )

31. GuitarJonas

GuitarJonas

Keep up the good work :) Looks so amazing :)

32. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks alot! Working hard on this, and putting everything I have into it!

33. jonkuze

jonkuze

34. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

11/10 would play.

35. jonkuze

jonkuze

Ha! Nice Khelton! and Thank you!

36. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! New Heroes of Rune - Alpha v0.6 Gameplay Preview with Commentary Reviewing the MOBA Gameplay Mode.

Deon-Cadme likes this.
  37. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Did you use any assets (for mechanics)for this game, if yes, which? And would you sell a barbone version of the game as a kit?

38. jonkuze

jonkuze

No I didn't use any Assets for Game Mechanics at all, I don't think there is anything on the Asset Store that would allow you to create something like this... it's all Custom Coded from scratch. I don't have anything that I can sell as a barebone version, but definitely something I could consider for a future game kit or something.

JessieK likes this.
  39. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Impressive work!

jonkuze likes this.
  40. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Devision4, I am hoping between the next 2-3 Months we'll be ready for Closed / Open Beta Testing...

41. jonkuze

jonkuze

Updated! Heroes of Rune - Alpha v0.7 Update: We've Completed the In-Game Level Up System, Includes 8 Hero Attributes! Also Check out New Heroes of Rune Preview Screenshot! More Updates Coming Soon...

Screenshot_09.png

42. TheRaider

TheRaider

Looks great :)

43. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Raider! We are definitely working hard to bring a new quality game to market! I can't wait to start Close Beta testing but still won't be for another 1-2 Months I think due to some recent set backs, but we're making good progress.

44. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! We decided to do away with the Micro-Transaction Feature. So all additional content such as Heroes and Skins will need to be unlocked through Playing the Game and earning Battle Points. Battle Points earned provide Players with Higher Rankings on the Leaderboard and will be the only way to Unlock additional content for now. We might just keep the game free of Micro-Transactions depending if we can Monetize the game enough through site-based Google Ads. I have had previous success doing so, so it might be possible again with Heroes of Rune.

45. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! Meet the Rune Heroes...

46. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Hey Kuroato I've enjoyed lurking watching this develop and the conversation you've had with other devs.
    I like the fact your going down your own path. It's cool.
    One thing that stood out to me was the animations. They are both smooth and transition nicely.
    Two other things stood out to me also. Compared to the animations the camera looks a little stiff. It might be just the video but it looks just a tad stiff compared to the smooth moves of the characters on screen.
    Also the timing of the audio in the attack animations seem early to me. When the knight and the monsters attack the audio plays before they perform the attack. Just a couple little things I thought I'd mention.

Keep up the good work. I like reading about the decisions you make and why you made them

47. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you! I really appreciate the Feedback. I think alot of the things you saw and commented on from the video are probably bugs due to Alpha Build. I'll keep all of it in mind for the Beta Build. Closing in on that in about 1-2 months... lots of tweaking, integration, optimization happening or to come. Thanks again for feedback and following our progress.

48. jonkuze

jonkuze

IndieDB's 2014 Indie of the Year Celebration Begins! Fans Please Visit http://www.indiedb.com/games/heroes-of-rune. Vote and Help "Heroes of Rune" Win an Indie of Year Award! Thank you so much for your Support!

49. jonkuze

jonkuze

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  50. JessieK

JessieK

I'll be honest I would love to see something like that on the asset store, I also love the style to this game I am going to check it out when I get in tonight looks awesome.