Search Unity

Heroes of Rune *Free to Play Browser-Based MOBA Game!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by jonkuze, Jul 21, 2014.

1. jonkuze

jonkuze

Actually now that I think of it, that's not 100% true regarding a barebone version lol...

I have two Codebase versions... one that was developed for about 6 Months that was used to create CoinRPG "http://coinrpg.com", but then we added so much more in the past 6 months to support Heroes of Rune MOBA Gameplay.

The Codebase for CoinRPG I can possibly consider turning into a Game Kit because it is much much easier to work with and setup in comparison to the Heroes of Rune Codebase. But the major different between them I would say for example is that CoinRPG Codebase does not have an Attribute Leveling System, or a Built-in Flexible Skill System where you can generate all different kinds of Skills. In other words, If I released CoinRPG Codebase as a Barebone MOBA Game Kit, if you want more features you'd probably have to code it yourself as I wouldn't be able to support it beyond basic usage and setup, and it would be somewhat limiting to Basic Game Mechanics like the following:

Click to Move, 360 Camera Control, Click Target Enemy, Basic PvP, PvE Combat, Basic Close or Range Attack, 2x Special Attacks / Damage Skill, 1x Healing Skill, 1x Haste Skill, Multiplayer via Photon Cloud, Leadeboard, Basic Item Collection and Storage to Database, along with User Registration all Setup.

I have so much going on, along with a day job, family, will be tough to manage support and add-on features for that Game Kit if I did release it. I would also need to see that there is a Demand for such a Game Kit otherwise I'm a little at risk of releasing some precious source code that helped me create Heroes of Rune. So I don't really want to shot myself in the foot by creating competition for myself haha...

So maybe after Heroes of Rune is Successfully released I can then consider turning the first version Codebase into a GameKit.

2. jonkuze

jonkuze

By the way thank you! ^_^

Heroes of Rune is still in Development, but if your interested in joining an Alpha Test later this Month or Possibly by the First Week of January, Signup on the Website to our Mailing List and You'll get an Invite.

3. JessieK

JessieK

Oh awesome I will do that now then I saw all of the gameplay and bits and assumed it was ready to be played my bad :p as for the kit thing, you would be the only kit for any engine right now that could provide the MOBA game play quickly and by the looks of things professionally made, there's a really bad one for UDK as a tutorial and another online that's barely even working, I would assume with the massive amount of MOBA players and the lack of kits to assist them they would be a relatively high demand for such a thing (I would compare it to things like the fighting game kit that's on unity where you would probably be able to charge a bit more than your other kit as its a little niche and people would still, but I can totally see what you are saying about creating your own competition.
    Just signed up to try out your game though looking forward to it!

4. jonkuze

jonkuze

Cool look foward to seeing you in game and getting some feedback! ^_^

Yep, it's tricky... if I had a way to know that there were at least 5,000 - 10,000 people lined up to buy a MOBA Game Kit i'm releasing then sure i'd do it right now lol! because that would be a guaranteed profit and I wouldn't have to worry about if my game was a hit or not lol.

although you gave me an idea... what if I say created something like a Kickstarter where we could see how many people signed up to buy the game kit. As the number of Signups increase the Cost of the Game Kit Decreases... as with Higher Demand I could lower the Price probably to as low as $20 - $30, but if only 1,000 people signup pledging to buy it then the price would need to be much higher to compensate if you see where I'm going with it. Once we reach a set number of Signups, people will then Pay the $20 to $100 fee for the Game Kit, but I would just Hold the Funds Until I see that all the Pledgers actually Paid... then I'll release the Game Kit to all those who Paid in Advance. But if no one actually makes the advance payment then I just won't release the game kit at all and just refund everyone's money.... it's just a way of securing my investment!

Actually Now I just wish someone could create that platform for us to do something like that lol.... hmmm lets see i'll search around as see what i find.

5. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! We are closing in on a playable Alpha Build v0.8, and we'll need some Closed Alpha Testers to Join us for some Serious Testing & Feedback!

So if you would like more info be sure to Signup for our Mailing List on the Website here: http://heroesofrune.com

(Note:Beta Signup, and Subscribe both are the same)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  6. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! New Screenshots of Work-in-Progress (Alpha Build v0.8)

Screenshot_10.png

Screenshot_09.png

LoDx likes this.
  7. jonkuze

jonkuze

Heroes of Rune: Closed Alpha Test! Recent
    Features on TwoDashStash & ExitGames.

Heroes of Rune - Newsletter #3

It's been awhile since our last major update, but don't let the silence fool you. We have been hard at work to bring you some awesome news today! Heroes of Rune is finally ready for Closed Alpha Testing! If you are interested in joining us for a Closed Alpha Test soon, please reply to info@heroesofrune.com with theSubject: "Lets Play Heroes of Rune!" Please keep in mind the Alpha Test will be limited to a handful of players, so the sooner you reply, the better your chances for gaining Early Access.

*Note: Players who secure a spot for the Early Access will receive an Access Key (sent via E-mail) to a Secure URL, Webpage with access to the Unity Webplayer version of Heroes of Rune: Alpha Build v0.8.

In other news, Heroes of Rune was recently Featured on Exit Games, Photon Powered Games Showcase! Exitgames.com. Also Featured on an awesome Indie Video Game first-look and review website, Two Dash Stash! We are grateful for the positive feedback, reviews, features, and look forward to sharing more Heroes of Rune awesomeness with you all in 2015!

That's all for now! Thank you for reading; We look forward to continue sharing more exciting news regarding Heroes of Rune development.

Website: Heroesofrune.com | Follow us on Twitter: Twitter.com | Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com

Newsletter URL: http://us8.campaign-archive2.com/?u=985653734ab11d32d6820bf6f&id=c8d4e680cb&e=dc47289c07

8. BFGames

BFGames

Are you using PUN for this?

jonkuze likes this.
  9. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yes, I'm using PUN (Photon Unity Networking) downloaded from the Unity Asset Store, and Photon Cloud.

10. BFGames

BFGames

How do you handle player accounts, progression, cheating and stuff like that?

jonkuze likes this.
  11. jonkuze

jonkuze

Player Accounts, Progression are handled via PHP, MySQL. We are currently using an encryption method to secure the data sent between the client and MySQL Database. (i'd rather not disclose the encryption method to help prevent further hackers lol, if they know how to hack what we are currently using). The encryption is only to secure the Database, Player Stats, Achievements etc.

We'll have to look into ways to secure the client by using something like the Anti-Cheat Asset that helps to prevent Memory Scans, Speed Hacks, or Damage Boosts etc..

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  12. BFGames

BFGames

Yeah the problem is that people can alter stuff like money, levels and all that locally before its sent to the server... :/

13. jonkuze

jonkuze

Yep, that's why i'm hoping the Anti-Cheat Asset will work well for that... Although even they disclose that there is no guarantee it will prevent all hacks. Any persistent hacker will keep trying until they find a way sadly.

I'm confident that between my team and a partner company I will be working with to publish the game, we'll find the best method to properly secure the game client from local hacks.

All we can do is try our best to secure our games, but even the best of the best (million dollar budget) games are hacked. Managing hacking through manual IP bans and stuff like that will probably be apart of our hacking management strategy in the near future when the game goes public. I think even the big guys have to manage hacking this same way as well...

14. BFGames

BFGames

Yeah. Im doing the same with my game (Gunjitsu). As an Indie you just have to live with the possibility of hacking sometimes. In our case a auth server setup is too expensive so we just do what we can to manage.

jonkuze likes this.
  15. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! We are very excited to announce that we are closing in on the last bit of polishing work that needs to be completed between tonight and tomorrow (Saturday), being very hopeful that we can Launch our Closed Alpha by Sunday! Looking forward to a fun full day of Heroes of Rune: Closed Alpha Testing! We also plan to Broadcast via Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/heroesofrune. Follow this thread for further updates.

16. ColouredPixelsUnity

ColouredPixelsUnity

Looks great!

jonkuze likes this.
  17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Is Agnes' last name Oblige by any chance? ;)

18. jonkuze

jonkuze

19. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks! ^_^

20. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! There is still room for more players in the Closed Alpha, so if your interested please be sure to email info@heroesofrune.com with the Subject: "Lets Play Heroes of Rune". We are planning to Launch Closed Alpha tomorrow (Sunday) hopefully if all goes as planned today! ^_^

21. jonkuze

jonkuze

Major Update!

OK everyone, it's official... after many long sleepless nights, cups of espresso cafe', and bowls of cereal! MijiKai Games is proud to announce the Launch of Heroes of Rune: Closed Alpha! Official Launch time is between 7PM - 8PM EST.

If you have already registered for Closed Alpha, keep an eye out for an email with your access information. Anyone who is interested in Joining the Closed Alpha, there is still time, and additional slots available.

Join Closed Alpha: Reply to info@heroesofrune.com with the Subject: Lets Play Heroes of Rune!

We are looking forward to your feedback, suggestions, and ideas to help improve Heroes of Rune!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  22. Sykoo

Sykoo

This looks very nice!

23. jonkuze

jonkuze

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  24. jonkuze

jonkuze

MijiKai Game Studio has officially launched Closed Alpha for their upcoming browser-based MOBA “Heroes of Rune.”

Official Alpha Gameplay Trailer: Youtu.be

We'd like to thank all of our fans for the ongoing support that helped carry Heroes of Rune into Closed Alpha! The game has been in development for about one year; evolving from a prototype state into a living breathing colorful world we hope many will come to enjoy. We are still accepting new Alpha Testers and looking forward to everyone's feedback to help us build an awesome game that will be played for years to come. To register for Closed Alpha, please reply to info@heroesofrune.com with Subject: Lets Play Heroes of Rune!

randomperson42 likes this.
  25. kalamona

kalamona

I like that though you use Asset Store assets, you still managed to keep a coherent and consistent style. I see so many great, but misused assets, it is really refreshing to see that someone does that right :)

jonkuze likes this.
  26. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Kalamona, means a lot coming from you as an Asset Store Vendor and Artist yourself. I think it's an art in itself to be able to properly sort through assets, mix and match them just right to get a coherent, consistent style as you mention. I am probably using a mix of Assets between 3-4 different Artists, Vendors. It took some time though, as I was following them for sometime to see if they would all release all the different pieces I needed to avoid major costs in art for the game. I'm totally grateful for the Asset Store and Artists like yourself that can help us Designers / Developers focus more on the game thanks to your assets.

27. Xitech_

Xitech_

Really cool! I am impressed.

jonkuze likes this.
  28. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thank you! :)

If you want to join the Alpha, be sure to email info@heroesofrune.com with Subject: Lets Play Heroes of Rune

29. jonkuze

jonkuze

News! Today we are proud to Announce Heroes of Rune: Open Alpha! visit http://heroesofrune.com/ to Signup Today! We look forward to your Feedback!

chrisall76 likes this.
  30. jonkuze

jonkuze

We are proud to announce that Heroes of Rune got some aweosme Coverage on IndieGameMag.com!
    Check it out http://indiegamemag.com/browser-based-moba-heroes-of-rune-launches-in-open-alpha/

IndieGameMag.com is a pretty well known Online Indie Game Review / News Channel with 48,000+ Twitter Followers. While not the biggest news channel around it's definitely a great start to get Heroes of Rune some attention. Big thanks to IGM!

chrisall76 and AndrewGrayGames like this.
  31. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Time to check this out for myself! Awesome job man.

jonkuze likes this.
  32. jonkuze

jonkuze

Thanks Khelton it's been a while since we last chatted on Skype, I don't think the game was playable then so yes please do check it out! I'm also open for a Live Chat / Twitch Run if you every want to do something for Unity Bar & Grill again.

33. jonkuze

jonkuze

Latest News! MijiKai Game Studio announces Heroes of Rune - Square Enix Collective Campaign

As Featured on Square Enix Blog / Website:
    http://na.square-enix.com/us/blog/open-world-multiplayer-rpg-meets-moba

Square Enix Collective Campaign

Today MijiKai Game Studio is proud to announce the launch of Heroes of Rune - Square Enix Collective Campaign! "Collective is a curated platform that enables creators to post ideas, and gamers to judge whether those ideas should become reality or not." We are very excited to have Heroes of Rune featured on the Square Enix Collective Platform, and on the front page of Square-Enix.com. While it almost feels like a dream come true, there is still lots of work ahead before we can celebrate.

We need the up-most support from our fans and followers at this time. Our goal is not only to make Heroes of Rune a reality with your help, but to create a truly unique Casual MOBA gaming experience driven by player feedback. MijiKai Game Studio invites you to show your support for Heroes of Rune. We also encourage all to share your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions on how we can improve upon the game idea and overall gameplay experience.

To Vote and provide Feedback, please visit:
    http://collective.square-enix.com/projects/108/heroes-of-rune

34. jonkuze

jonkuze

Update! *Heroes of Rune has only 10 Days left on Square Enix Collective! We need your support to help us make it through to the next phase. Please visit bit.ly/HeroesofRune, vote and provide some feedback to show your support! We really appreciate your time and effort to support Heroes of Rune! Thank You! :D

35. jonkuze

jonkuze

Heroes of Rune (Free MOBA Game): Watcha Playin'? Gameplay First Look @FreeMMOStation

36. jonkuze

jonkuze

MijiKai Game Studio is currently seeking a Partner / Developer for our upcoming title:

Heroes of Rune - A Free To Play Browser-based MOBA Game! Click here for more info...
    Official Website:
    http://heroesofrune.com/

Gameplay Trailer:
    https://youtu.be/EWIe5rq8SE

Heroes of Rune has been in Development for over a year now. We have completed a playable Open Alpha version of the game currently available to play online at http://heroesofrune.com

We have self-funded the game for up until recent months due to some personal financial issues that arose that has halted development of the game since.

Last year Heroes of Rune was nominated for "Most Promising Game Award" at Casual Connect (Indie Prize) event in San Francisco http://bit.ly/CCSFeature. Our project has also been featured recently on IGM http://bit.ly/IGMFeature, a notable indie game magazine; MMO Play News http://bit.ly/MMOPlayFeature, along with a recent feature on Square Enix Blog & Website http://bit.ly/SQEFeature.

Our greatest desire is to help introduce a fresh new perspective to the MOBA game genre by successfully bringing Heroes of Rune to Market. Before we can achieve that goal we must find the right partner to help us move forward.

The right person would be a passionate game developer skilled in C# programming, must have Networking experience, particularly with Photon Unity Networking. You must have an interest in Fantasy, RPG/MOBA style games. We are looking for someone who can communicate their ideas and work flow clearly. Finally someone who can share our vision and passion for this project to help us move forward for a revenue share.

If you happen to be the right person, we have some additional perks to share. MijiKai Game Studio and Heroes of Rune was recently accepted into an awesome Incubator Program based in Silicon Valley known as "Core Labs Game Accelerator". This means that we access to particular resources that will help us to stay on track to succeed with bringing Heroes of Rune to market. http://corelabsaccelerator.com/portfolio#portfolio.

You are joining a real team with proven experience, achievements, and realistic goals to bring a unique game idea to market.

If you are interested, please contact Jon for more details:

Jonathan Malave
    Creative Director | MijiKai Games
    "... We Create Epic Casual Games!"
    Phone: +1 (786) 245.5287
    Email: jon@mijikaigames.com