Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Heroes of Asgard - A new free to play MMORPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ManHunterITA, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi guys,
    what I'm presenting is called Heroes of Asgard, a project that I'm developing as Lead Programmer.

I write immediately some reference, if you want to read a detailed page.
    Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/free-to-play-mmorpg-heroes-of-asgard

Heroes of Asgard is an hack 'n slash, old school MMORPG, but with the inclusion of new ideas and a gorgeous graphic (we tried to reach a good graphic level).
    It is based on the concepts learned from Metin2 (our team played the aforementioned title), which has influenced us so much.
    For the history and description of classes, I refer you to page Indiegogo, where it is explained really well.
    The development is still in progress, we are working for months now and I'd much pleasure to receive comments and a tons of constructive criticisms!

Best regards,
    Emanuele, Crimson Games Lead Programmer

2. Pixelated-Worlds

Pixelated-Worlds

No constructive criticism yet, but let me be the first to congratulate you on what looks like the start of a great game, I'll be sure to follow your progress carefully.

Good luck

3. Sykoo

Sykoo

This looks like something that can come out as being very fun! I wish you the best of luck at this project, I really like where it goes!

4. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Thank you for your compliments!
    We hope that our idea will be appreciated by users!

Stay tuned!

5. ImAldu

ImAldu

I was skeptical first going into this but I can honestly say this is pretty good. However, I think you should consider a Kickstarter campaign or IndieGoGo campaign as you'd have more luck crowdfunding there most likely.

6. l0cke

l0cke

Hmm, almost all videos are from complete scenes from kits made by manufactura 4k (killstar).

And it is very funny to make concept art pictures based on assets you already bought. Just the opposite direction of content pipeline I know. But OK, people outside from Unity community will never discover this...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  7. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

We purchased manufactura's maps because we liked them and we will use them in game, but the concept is for totally new maps we are creating.

8. l0cke

l0cke

Everybody likes it, so there is now 10 indie mmos with identical scenes ;)

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Asset Store is here for this purpose.
    But we are at start of this project, so we can't exclude that we will completely change all manufactura's maps! ;)

10. l0cke

l0cke

Well, I thought asset store is here for buying assets and these scenes are there as inspiration how to use these assets. Not just take these scenes, make video and say look, we have great game. But OK, it is your approach and I really wish you good luck, there is lack of good mmo games.

11. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

No, no: there is a misunderstanding. We don't just take his maps and put them in game. Probably I missed this part.
    I (and another guy) edit and re-edit all of them to fit with our design purposes (new paths, new exp zones, changed some texture to fit with our color palette).
    In addition, in those maps performances are low (for old pc) because there are too many details, so we changed all details and some shaders in those maps to improve framerate count.

But this is a process that we are still making and reiterating to obtain exactly what we want. Probably in the video you can't see it properly, I will make a devlog on this argument soon!

Thank you for your observation!

12. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Update:

while we are waiting for character presentation, here is a glimpse of Talos. It is still a work in progress, but our guy is making certainly a good work!

Summary:
    "Talos, a strong and mighty kingdom who fought bravely against the titans, where names of those legendary heroes are now recorded in the book of Asgard. Talos is the birthplace of great heroes. The Talosian are proud of their ancestors and train hard each day with an aim to continue the legacy and be remembered forever."

Screenshots:

Teila and bartm4n like this.
  13. Archania

Archania

Looks great. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

14. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

"Shake my hand"
    - Sura

Sliceandkill likes this.
  15. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

New updates on Talos map!

Sliceandkill and theANMATOR2b like this.
  16. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

As promised, here is one of the update for the characters!

The character in question is the Sura (many of you know from experience just in Metin2, but for those who do not know what is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asura), an entity halfway between the man and the devil, able to develop its strength through the Dark Arts and evil. His body is gradually eroded and corrupted by the evil that he uses as his strong point.
    Here is a screenshot:

Please share your opinions! :)

17. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

It looks like the head is slightly too big, maybe too wide for the body - I don't know, there is some proportion off - maybe her upper torso is too tall?
    The textures seem like a mishmash of styles, The head is quasi-anime, the necklace piece is nice but doesn't match the body clothing except for having the same blue glow as the the silver bracelet, and the chest seems to be a minimally edited photographic manipulation.
    The lower left arm is really cool but it looks like there was a lot of small detail lost from the sculpt.

18. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

Looks like a great MMO, and am excited to try it out when it is released.

19. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

UPDATE 20/06/2015
    • Tested and debugged monsters spawning on various clients
    • Tested and debugged area of interest for players and monsters
    • Minor changes to the skill system, a skill now can invoke a specified script
    • Minor changes to the bonus system, you can now assign an array of callbacks to be called when the value of the bonus changes
    • Tested, debugged and improved the first skill (the classic melee attack)
    • Added elements in the GUI to bring clarity to the world of game (names of players and monsters, physical damage, magic damage, critical damage, heal amounts, etc.)
    • Fix on MonsterGroup: now for the respawn is necessary that the whole group of monsters is dead
    • Introduced exping and leveling on server side
    • Introduced exping and leveling on client side, with its effect (to be improved)
    • Parallel tasks: rewritten some service to improve maintainability and performances

Soon, probably, I will post new screenshots or a video. :)
    Stay tuned!

Best regards,
    Emanuele

20. XCO

XCO

Lovely!

21. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

It was a period without substantial upgrades, this. The reason is that I found it necessary to rewrite the server side services to improve maintainability and standardize them (as well as add new features).
    So let's see what happened to Heroes of Asgard in recent weeks!

Client side:

• Proceeds the making of the Ascalon map
    • Introduction of new scenes for choosing characters, character creation, choice of the kingdom and the city (and all the boring things in the interface part xD)
    • Adaptation to the new server side standard
    • Atmospheric agents now are visible (for example, the rain is leaving puddles in the world)

Server side (it's a bit technical stuff that I will write, but I will try to make it easy):

• Rewritten authentication service
    • Introduced a system for verification of the last packet sent and poking linked accounts
    • When you create a character, you can choose, in addition to the kingdom, even the city of departure, if there is anyone
    • Now the connection that identifies each connected player contains within it various additional information, allowing faster access to account information and (in theory) a fix to an old bug
    • Introduced a wrapper of networking features
    • Prepared the wrapper to accommodate a new algorithm of data broadcasting, the space partitioning, which will complement the area of interest that had already introduced
    • Slimmed shared library between server and client (12KB first against 6KB now)
    • A new system of errors sending to the client, with the specific error code
    • A new logging system on the server side
    • Split the roles of the various managers: now every manager manages its packets
    • Rewritten entities management towards a entity/component based
    • Rewrote the WorldManager and movements synchronization
    • Any other stuff that currently I don't remember, but there are certainly since I have revolutionized the entire project

I was also starting to manage time and season in the maps, so that there was a day/night cycle and a rotation of the seasons. Do you think that interaction should have these events on the world?
    If you have other ideas write them here: I'm here to discuss and try to create something that can embrace users' tastes.

Greetings,
    Emanuele

22. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

23. bartm4n

bartm4n

This looks amazing, great work so far!

ManHunterITA likes this.
  24. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looking good.

Some of the scenes photos are identical (Texture wise) to what I have for my game lol... Well I guess that's to be expected if we all buy from assetstore.

ManHunterITA likes this.
  25. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Little update: we created also Meteor system (look at storyline) with a really cool effect (a trailer will be available soon).

Server side:
    - Meteor system
    - Mining system
    - Refactoring of some systems not based on MySQL: now they are based on MySQL
    - Misc (fixes and stuff)

Client side:
    - Meteor system and effects for Meteors
    - Graphic improvements (grass, flowers, terrain)

Graphic:
    - Warrior class is coming soon
    - Game cinematic in progress
    - Game trailer in progress

26. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Here we are with a little preview, as promised. This is Meteors' fall effect!

27. maxer1293

maxer1293

What about Kickstarter or Steam Greenlight? Hope you fill release it soon... <3

28. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

We tried with Indiegogo, some time ago.
    We are working hard to release it as soon as possible :)

29. Nasben

Nasben

The game will be very similar to metin2, no?

30. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Exactly!
    We all played to Metin2 and loved its quick mechanics, we want to extrapolate only its good and nice concepts (hack 'n' slash combat system, a simple learning curve and fights between players), so we can fit parts that missing with our idea of MMORPG, to pull this game to standards of today massive online games. :)

31. S4G4N

S4G4N

hehehe, I just knew I would find you here

32. Nasben

Nasben

What languages will be available on game?

ManHunterITA likes this.
  33. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

At the moment we are already providing for English and Italian (cause two of us speak Italian as native language, we already write translations when we create something new :p).
    In the future, we will translate it in major languages, such as: Chinese, German, etc.

Also, we are using one of my Asset Store plugin to create localization (Localizatron, if you want to search it). This means that all localization strings are stored in one easily shareable file. Of course we can't translate it for each existing language, so for minor languages our community can easily create its own localization: we will be happy to add it in game after some internal revisions! :D

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  34. Nasben

Nasben

the game will be free ? or pay ?

35. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

The game will be a Free To Play MMORPG.
    I think this is a good formula for a MMORPG!

36. Nasben

Nasben

When will be the server on approximately??

37. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

As soon as possible, in according with development.

38. FTD123

FTD123

Release date?:D

39. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

As soon as possible, in according with development of course! :)

In some days I will post something on new features added: in this weeks I had no time to update threads :p

Best regards,
    Emanuele - Crimson Games Development Department

40. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Update!

SERVER SIDE:
    We added various new objects on maps: I'm talking about Mining Spots and Warps.
    At the moment, Mining Spots have no functions attached, but I will create the right behaviour soon.
    About Warps, I worked to create a very flexible system, fully configurable from the map settings. The interesting thing is how these warps are disabled automatically when the map is not available.
    Some bugs have been fixed on items and bonuses linked to them. Now serialization of these bonuses has been rewritten and is more powerful. Bonuses are generated randomly item creation according to specific parameters (I must add another generating parameter, but I will do it soon because now it is not strictly necessary).
    Various parameters have been added to the character: race, gender, class and subclass. With this change I have prepared the way to allow the creation of different races (not only humans, we already have one in mind).

There are two special features, however, that are most important to me and to which I have worked in this period.

The first is definitely the Weather system.
    The world of Heroes of Asgard now follows the seasons. The maps have their temperatures, their moisture. These parameters determine even when it rains, when it will snow, when it is cloudy, when it will be sunny. Furthermore, they will vary in a semi-random way to generate a weather that isn't easily predictable.
    The seasons, the way I structured now, actually follow the flow of the real world seasons.
    Also the duration, then, will be the same. I'd like to have an opinion from you on this concept. I think it can be a good way to have a good longevity and allow various types of seasonal activities (eg, agriculture is difficult in winter, while in summer can be improved).
    Also, I had in mind to strengthen or weaken monsters and player characters based on weather conditions.
    A player who comes from the northern lands, for example, will benefit from a snowstorm. And viceversa. As well as monsters accustomed to cold temperatures, will be stronger if fought at low temperatures, with snow, while they will be weaker when the temperatures will be high.
    This could introduce a smarter way to play, trying to take advantage of the environment. Attack, for example, the Northern Kingdom on Winter may not be the best idea...

The second thing is more technical: concerns networking. The current implementation of server-side is "limiting" in certain aspects and can not be distributed across multiple physical machines. This can be a problem if the number of users will grow exponentially in the game. I'm studying and I'm preparing for this reason a new networking system, fully distributed and that will break down the limitations of the current implementation.

GRAPHIC:
    Also, we want to show our new class: the warrior.

I will update this thread soon, with new information!

Let me know your opinions, your suggestions. We always pay attention to what the players want!

Best regards,

41. Nasben

Nasben

I think that the weather system is a really good idea, there must be different types of maps and in each three kingdoms will be nearest from one of those maps where the weather is different, so people has different weather characteristics depending the kingdom ;)

ManHunterITA likes this.
  42. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hello, a little technical update today!
    Of course our work on maps, characters and animations continues (new guys have meshed properly!), but in this post I will talk a bit of new introductions on server side.

Introduction of Actions
    Each entity representing a character (playable or not) has been assigned an actions handler. Actions influence what the player is doing, how long, what animations will be activated and which result there will be eventually.
    Everything is synchronized with the client, which shows the player (and surrounding players) the action starts, the rest of it and its end.

Introduction of Status
    Each entity representing a character (playable or not) has been assigned a status handler. A status indicates the status of that character, how long it lasts and its effects. In combination with the actions, open interesting scenarios.

Fishing
    We have introduced fishing. It was possible thanks to the combination of an action and a status. It is activated by a skill and allows you to launch your fishing rod, wait a random time within a range and hope for a fruitful drop.

Mining
    We introduced the mining, that is the action of mineral extraction from deposits that are located around the map. It was possible thanks to the combination of an action and a status. It is activated by a skill and allows you to start the extraction of the mineral, wait a random time within a range and hope for a positive extraction. You will drop minerals and precious materials.

Wallet
    The Wallet is substantially the player's wallet. It contains all the currencies that he was able to conquer and allows its management.
    Yes, I said "all currencies."
    This is because every empire that you will find in the game will have its main currency and on its territories (all the various maps that make up the empire) the loot will contain more that currency.
    There are also neutral territories, which provide neutral currency.
    I would like ideas on how you would like to see exploited these currencies! Respond in many!

Also fixed the quality system of equipped items, now it is calculated correctly (for the uninitiated, the same object can have different qualities that multiply its power).

Various fixes and refactoring included in this new build, but they are many and very specific, and I do not think anyone could have interest for them!

Aaaand, of course, some screenshots and videos I forgot to post (I'm so sorry)! :D

Greetings,

Nasben, S4G4N and theANMATOR2b like this.
  43. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Another sneak-peak about our new desertic map!

Nasben, RavenOfCode and S4G4N like this.
  44. nickster076

nickster076

It has been a while since we had any updates.
    Im super hyped to play this game, since Metin2 had the best upgrade/pk system imo.
    I could not believe a small group of people wanted to achieve this goal, much respect.
    Can you give any information on what still has to be done before this game comes into alpha ?
    Would it be this year perhaps ?

Good luck guys!

S4G4N likes this.
  45. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi!
    Sorry for missing updates! I will write a summary for you!

In these last months we worked really hard to complete our milestones.

We introduced a lot of stuff: pets, mounts, skills, etc.
    We also fixed and optimized a lot our existing codebase!

At the moment, we are ready to record our first video, as planned. This video will show our maps with monsters and meteors, with our characters and their skills.
    We also want to record some fight scenes, for this reason we are tuning our combat system to fit properly with our ideas.

Our artists are working on maps, props, characters and items at this time.
    Here some screenshots:

On client side currently we are refactoring our GUI system and we are improving what we already have now.
    Warrior's skills are completed!

On server side I'm introducing a distributed architecture in those last days and I'm refactoring combat system and some AI behaviours (until I will not be satisfied :p).
    I also introduced a big improvement on proximity lists for network actors: now this is managed on a separate thread with some optimizations too.

I will prepare a post with more in details information, with a changelog too!
    And, of course, I will try to prepare more screenshots for you!

Stay tuned!

Best regards,

RavenOfCode, Voltarrens and S4G4N like this.
  46. ImAldu

ImAldu

Looking good. I particularly like that castle in the snow and that hellhound looking thing that I assume is a pet or mount.

ManHunterITA likes this.
  47. Neuthor

Neuthor

Do you already have a release date?

48. ManHunterITA

ManHunterITA

Hi,
    we are working hard in this period to complete this game. I will update this thread soon, I have a huge changelog! :)

We are trying to achieve our alpha test for this December, we planned this date with our team.
    We will also try to post articles, images and videos as soon as we can, accordingly with our developments! :)

RavenOfCode likes this.
  49. benm98

benm98

un-believeable Emanuele, this looks like the perfect MMO, metin2 style and the graphics are up to date, no words, keep up the good work, cant wait for the alpha test :D

ManHunterITA likes this.
  50. kleos44

kleos44

Hello everyone,
    I have one good comment, there must be a difference between resistance and protection from arrows, otherwise the archer is destroyed, pity. This character is avoided in metin2 because all have defenses. I am eager to play heroes of asgard.

Greetings to all ::)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.