Search Unity

Help for a noob, about 3d or 2d

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by LunaTrap, May 28, 2015.

1. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Hi! my name is Luna

im a expirienced Cosntruct 2 user, in fact i was making a really big and beutiful game on that engine

but as you may imagine, the limitations of that engine and the constant bugs and low performance made me transition to unity.

i have watched some tutorials and after that i have a good idea on how the engine works, and i love C#, but im not yet prepared to start a game on my own.

the problem is, is there a problem if i start learning unity with 2d only ?, after all, the game i was making on C2 was 2d, i think it would take me way too much time to learn 3d just to start making the 2d game i was making with C2 on Unity.
    would it be hard for a person that learns unity 2d first to transition into learning 3d? i ask this becuase i have plans for 3d games in the future too.

what do you recommend?

2. darkhog

darkhog

I don't think you'll have any problems with learning 2D first and then transition to 3D, as concepts and features here are pretty similar, only with added dimension.

Do what I'm doing: Learn features as you need them. Don't waste your time with learning something that you don't currently need.

/edit: Also I'd suggest to make some simple game to get accustomed to the engine. My go to "test game" is either Pong or Arkanoid, whichever I feel more like to do at the moment. It's usually first game I'm making in any engine to get myself accustomed with engine and decide whether I like it or not.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't really any "Unity 2D" and "Unity 3D", it's all just Unity, which is a 3D engine. For example, sprites are objects in 3D space like everything else. Basically don't worry about it.

--Eric

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  4. ChaosWWW

ChaosWWW

You can make some amazing 2d games in Unity, I wouldn't force myself to learn 3d if I was already good at 2d. The good thing about Unity is you can take advantage of 3d features like shaders and image effects in your 2d games to add extra polish.

As for learning 3d, if we are talking about 3d art then it's going to be a big learning curve. I know many amazing 2d artists (way better then me) that could not make the transition to 3d. They ended up getting very frustrated and gave up. Personally, if I was really good at 2d art I would play to my strengths and stick to that, 2d games are a lot easier to make and a lot of people like them.

5. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

thanks a lot guys! i will start with 2D

6. jhocking

jhocking

I dunno if starting with 2D is actually easier in Unity. I mean, that approach works fine I'm sure, but since Unity actually started out as a 3D engine with 2D grafted on later, it may feel more natural initially to work in 3D.