Search Unity

HELP! Can't log in consistently

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ErisCaffee, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

I don't know what just happened but for some reason I am able to log in to the forums right now after struggling for a couple of hours, so I'm taking this opportunity to post a plea for help from a forum admin.

In both Firefox (lots of addons, though I've also tried with all of them disabled) and also in Chrome (totally default settings with no addons) I am able to log in to the main unity3d.com site and access any untiy3d.com/XXX url while remaining logged in. But as soon as I click over to forums.unity3d.com the site tells me that I am NOT logged in If I then go back to one of the main untiy3d.com pages it tells me that sure enough, I am still logged in. The forums (and seemingly any other subdomain of unity3d.com) simply doesn't seem to be able to recognize that I am logged in.

Furthermore, if I try to login in from the main forums page itself, literally nothing happens. I click the person icon at the top of the page, then click the Login link in the popup window and the browser simply reloads the main forum page without ever giving me a change to log in again. If I do this while checking the Javascript console I see some CORS errors with some .woff and .ttf files being blocks, and I see a JS syntax error on line 1 of the file cp.js

Of course, right now, I was suddenly able to access the forums. At the moment I am in Chrome, and I have no idea how it is that I'm able to access the forums at this time. I swear that something must have changed on the server side.

I'm going to continue pounding my head against this, but any advice and help to get things working correctly and consistently is greatly appreciated.

2. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

Another piece of info that might help: I just restarted Firefox and tried to login again. This time I went directly to the forums before logging in and I was actually able to get the login page to pop up, I entered my credentials and got no errors, but when the forum page reloaded it still said that i was not logged in. However, when I clicked the login link again I once more got the earlier behavior where clicking the link does nothing.

It's as if the login page will pop up if I don't already have a cookie set, but once the cookie is set id.unity3d.com recognizes that it has nothing to do, while at the same time forum.unity3d.com is unable to read the cookie. Strange.

Also, and I don't know if this makes a difference or not, I can't access the forums via SSL. Whenever I try to go to https://forum.unity3d.com I get redirected back to the plain http URL.

3. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

Hmm. I updated Firefox and created a new default profile and even that doesn't help. But a fresh install of Seamonkey works just fine. I am baffled.

[EDIT] I take part of that back. Seamonkey has now stopped working too, though it worked just fine the first time I tried it. This really seems like a server side problem.

4. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

Well, I slept on things and nothing is better this morning, but things have gyrated randomly. Whereas last night I was able to log in using Chrome, but not Seamonkey, today it's the opposite. I can log in using Seamonkey, but not Chrome. Again, both of these browsers are in absolute default configurations with no addons or settings changes of any kind.

5. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

The forums don't currently use your UnityID which is why you're seeing yourself logged into the homepage and not the forums. As for your issue with logging into the forums, we are looking into fixes as it's already been brought to our attention.

Sorry for the inconvenience until then. :(

6. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

Hmm. Well something like that is definitely going on, but what it means is that I can either be logged in to the main site and asset store OR I can be logged in to the forums, but I can't be logged in to both at the same time. That really is kind of a serious bug then. I hope it gets fixed soon.

At least with two browsers I see to have a workaround for now.

7. goat

goat

I notice I've been being auto-logged out too and the cookie or whatever they call that nowadays used to keep you logged into the forums with the same browsers for months is now expiring overnight. I can only imagine it's a futile attempt to stop those Korean & Arabic spam floods others have complained about. Of course it's ineffective stopping spam to log out non-spammers.

8. Ryiah

Ryiah

Why would they do that? The @hippocoder would be out of a job if they succeeded. :p

9. goat

goat

Maybe the spammer(s) are using a public library or Internet Cafe public computer of legitimate Unity users that also visited that same internet cafe computer or maybe they are cracking ridiculously easy Unity Forum user passwords.

Only guessing but the forum SW and in particular the login is acting very weird since this year. ErisCaffee is not imagining things.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

They've been messing around behind the scenes. In case you hadn't noticed the login page isn't the same one. That wouldn't be a problem normally except they don't have an actual web developer (or they didn't at the time of Lithium).

11. goat

goat

OK, no I don't visit so often anymore. I figured they just changed a cookie exp date or something.

I just sent an email to support because the menu headers at the top on the blogs.unity3d.com lead to 404s and other really old links.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I stay logged in more or less permanently, unless I close my browser, so whatever problem exists doesn't affect everyone. There was an issue recently where the forums kept logging everyone out, but it was fixed fairly quickly. Try clearing your caches.

That's not what they're doing. In any case the Korean spam flood was resolved through other means. (At least for now.)

--Eric

13. ErisCaffee

ErisCaffee

And it just keeps getting weirder. Under Windows using Firefox ESR 45.3 I can't log in to the forums at all unless I disable all addons. But under Linux with Firefox ESR 38.6.1 I can log in just fine. I wonder what the difference is?

14. goat

goat

Hmmm...I'm just getting my cookies expired much sooner than they used too. At least that's what I think it is. Don't really care that I have to re-login.

As a warning: I received one of the most convincing phishing emails recently about an Apple account I had not used in a very long time telling me I need to go to an Apple page (and of course the email included a link) and tell Apple not to delete the unused account to keep the account.

Lucky for myself that the Microsoft Edge browser / Microsoft intercepted the click to keep me from going to that site.

Now I wonder how this phishing site knew that I had not logged into that Apple account for a very long time? I still get email forwarded from that account occasionally. I didn't get the same phishing email for the Apple account I still use daily. Hmmmmm.....???.....

Usually, I check such links in the few email I get that are convincing (eg lots of convincing ones used to be disguised as LinkedIn emails).

I'm not that worried about it. I'm not Hillary Clinton & the DNC.

15. MV10

MV10

I saw the Lithium-esque login page just once, and I have to login if I'm gone for more than about 10 minutes, but ever since (and before) then login is automatic when I click the login button. Which is great because that one brief glimpse into the Lithium Abyss nearly gave me seizures.

16. goat

goat

Well I did some more investigating on my PC and determined the reason for my 'lost cookies' is if Windows 10 runs low on RAM it will shutdown the offending app which a lot of the time is a web browser, in this case Windows 10 MS Edge. It has shut down other browser and other apps too such as Unity although generally it closes the app using the most memory. Having a bunch of tabs open to a YouTube video or any of these modern media news sites stuffed with ads is usually the culprit for closing a browser down. Some web pages also seem to have memory leaks and will grow in memory usage, even unviewed in a hidden tab.

17. Ryiah

Ryiah

18. goat

goat