Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Heads up: Unity mac store rejection Unity Deprecated API Usage - QuickTime

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MikeHergaarden, Dec 5, 2013.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

A heads up to save someone some hours figuring out what this is:
    The mac store now rejects even (empty) unity 4.3.1 projects with the following reason:

I submitted an bug report to Unity and have appealed the rejection at apple. I hope of of the two parties comes with a solution.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

thanks, good to know..

here we go again

3. tiburon

tiburon

I got the same rejection. Hope this can be fixed soon :sad:

4. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

So, here's what I found out on this so far:

Our web cam code uses the QTKit framework, which is deprecated in 10.9, which is why Apple is not accepting submissions for the app store. The solution to this is to rewrite the web cam code to use the newer AVFoundation framework instead. Luckily, that is not too hard, as we already use that code on iOS.

It is somewhat annoying, however, as we already rewrote that code just a few months ago to use QTKit (up from the even older Sequence Grabber API), because QTKit was not yet deprecated at that point, and, unlike AVFoundation also supports 10.6 (which is still our current minimum spec for OS X). This also means that we will lose web cam support on OS X 10.6, but I think if the choice is between keeping web cam support on 10.6, and Mac App Store publishing support, the solution is obviously to keep MAS support.

So, I will fix this code to use the non-deprecated AVFoundation framework for 4.5. The question for us to find out, is if this fix will go back to 4.3.2 (as it is not a trivial change), or if we'd rather chose a faster fix by temporarily disabling webcam support in OS X standalones to fix this. Does anyone critically need web cam support in OS X standalone?

5. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks for the reply Jonas.
    I don't know any devs who need webcam support in OS X standalone. Disabling webcam support for now sounds like a better option then not having any working mac store apps at all. All webcam enabled apps cannot be submitted either. Those who use webcam and do not use the store can always use 4.3 or the current 4.3.1.
    Our Mac store launch is eagerly waiting for a fix since Apple even denied a complaint ticket and keeps to their new policy.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  6. BBRome

BBRome

Temporarily disabling webcam support in OS X standalone, Christmas is here...

7. djhardrich

djhardrich

I'd have to also agree with temporarily disabling webcam support; the company I work for has me under the gun to submit an OSX build to Apple before Apple's winter/Christmas deadline (for a cross-platform launch). Our app doesn't use the webcam in osx either. Thanks for the reply Jonas, please post in this thread if a hotfix/patch release is pushed out!

8. orb

orb

Another vote for temporary solutions while some well-tested code is underway. Web cam code may be rarely used, but I have pondered it for a prototype (gaming tools). Maybe at the same time check that third-party components like FMOD aren't also using anything likely to be deprecated soon!

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

i vote too for disabling the webcam, having unity not able to publish to the mac store until a new major release is not a good idea, quick temporary fix please

10. BBRome

BBRome

Any news? nobody else needs to publish MacApp Store before Christmas?

11. PavelB

PavelB

We are desperately waiting for this fix. What's the status?

12. MichaelHerring

MichaelHerring

Unity Technologies

13. pajamajama

pajamajama

+1 for disabling webcam support in the meantime.

14. Entwicklerpages

Entwicklerpages

I don't want to hound someone, but can anybody tell me when the webcam support will be re-enabled (with the new AVFoundation Webcam)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Nobody can tell you that. Maybe the next version if it's not a big project, otherwise a later version.

--Eric

16. BBRome

BBRome

simply do not install 4.3.2!

17. orb

orb

That's not going to help if it's blocking MAS approval.

18. Entwicklerpages

Entwicklerpages

Yes I know.
    It was only a question. I haven't a MAS account but I am a Mac user and now I make some experiments with the webcam and the microphone functions. But I don't like it to use old versions for a long time. I hope the AVFoundation don't make any problems ;)

19. jfcampos

jfcampos

Any news on this topic? I must be one of the few that needs webcam support on Mac Standalone :(

20. yuriythebest

yuriythebest

Hi! I'm using Unity3D 4.3.1f1 and also got the same message when trying to submit to the Mac App Store:

What should I do as I need to submit this app ASAP for a client? Should I downgrade to some other version of Unity? Please help!

Note: My app does NOT use any webcam or quicktime functionality, is it possible to disable that somehow?

21. Zeblote

Zeblote

Update to a newer version of unity

22. carmine

carmine

Is there any word on when WebCam support for Mac will be put back in?

23. JohnHeap

JohnHeap

Just like to add my voice.... Currently working on an application that depends on crowd participation. I had hoped that Mac WebCam support would have made it into Version 5. (I'm assuming it hasn't as crashes on myWebCamTexture.Play(), whilst fine on PC version). The event is in November so a bit of time, but....

24. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

WebCam support for OS X has been back for quiet a while now. If it crashes, submit a bug report.

25. forestjay

forestjay

How are people processing video to get around the rejection of QKit?