Search Unity

Handling multiple screens in a 2D adventure game

Discussion in '2D' started by PicoFoundry, Aug 29, 2014.

1. PicoFoundry

PicoFoundry

I am very new to Unity and have been looking into using Unity for 2D games. This is probably a silly question but I have not been able to find any similar examples. I am interested in creating a small point-and-click adventure game, probably only a few different screens the player can navigate. However, all of the tutorials and examples I have seen are make use of a single screen, such as the 2D game development walkthrough (http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/2d/2d-overview) or are platformers that scroll as players move through the scene.

I was wondering what the best way to handle multiple screens in an adventure game would be. Should each separate screen be a different scene, or is there a better way to handle this? Will the use of separate scenes possibly cause poor performance when moving, say, through a door and loading the scene for the new room.

2. Pyrian

Pyrian

Well, you can put the new screen somewhere else on the same scene, or you can make a new scene for each screen. A screen would generally be such a small increment that you are much better off using the same scene. Just offset it so it's out of sight; that way you can scroll through the various screens in Scene view.

3. PicoFoundry

PicoFoundry

Thanks, that is a good idea, I had not really thought about doing it that way. I will play around with that in mind.