Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Hand painted texture pack - Natural Surfaces

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Blaze_K, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Ravart

Ravart

Really like your art, reminds me of Diablo 3 (at design was the only good point about this game)

Further I would like to ask for permission to use your preview textures inside my preview project ( a dummy project to get attention for crowdfunding).
    If the project goes through, I buy your package, if not, I will still try to buy it by siphon off money somewhere else ;)

Keep up your good work!

2. crafTDev

crafTDev

In the meantime, could you post links and names to all the textures included in the pack?

3. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

I finally got a reply from Unity team.
    It turns out that the problem was a little tag on my preview pic, stating that there's a discount during first three days.

"We don't allow sellers' self-discount events because we run a couple of Asset Store's official sale events and we don't want too many sale events. (It decreases overall package prices and makes buyers to only aim on sale events when they need Assets)"

Guess what? my previous package, hexagonal texture pack also had a discount tag and nobody had a problem with that.
    I'm not sure how to handle it now. I want there to be a discount but if there's no info about it on the asset store page the change from discount to normal price will look strange for people who don't use forums.
    Perhaps i will start with a price that's halfway between intended discount and intended normal price and i will raise it when i add more textures.

@ DarkPhoenixX
    I dunno what to think about this kind of request.

You mean that your campaign would make it look like my textures were made specifically for your project?
    or that campaign would state that this pack will be bought if the goal is met?
    btw, dummy project? what's that?

4. ChristopherC

ChristopherC

Hi,

Really nice textures. Need to see it with NRM and spec/gloss, it will increase the volume.

5. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

Got your PM.

Thats an interesting reason to reject your asset. I think you can have sales (since my package DaW is still in intro sale), you just cant advertise it as such on icons etc, but you can use text to talk about your sale in the item description.

Anyways, Im hoping to see theme packs soon since the mega pack is up on the store.

7. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

A shout out to the first buyer! I hope you'll find these textures highly useful!
    btw, in case someone missed it, here are overview pics showing all the textures in the pack:

@ jrDev - yeah, I will prepare them as soon as possible but I got some freelance work so they have to wait a little.

8. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hopefully sooner rather than later. I've decided you will be my main source for textures but I'm waiting for separate sets to be on asset store, I don't need all of what is in the big pack and I don't have funds to purchase the pack, so I'll wait a little longer...

9. tylernocks

tylernocks

You should add water as I consider that to be a natural surface.

10. p6r

p6r

+1 for water...

6R

11. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Yeah, water is on my list. it's just that it's one of the more diffucult subjects to paint so i'm not sure how to go about making water yet.

I'd be happy to get more suggestions about what all of you current buyers and potential buyers would like to see in the first update and future ones.
    flowers? nettle? rocks from different climates? snow pack? something else?

And would you rather have me work on this pack, or start some manmade stuff like stone roads, pavements, walls etc?

-------

I recently noticed that some of textures in the pack have artifacts visible when you look at them from up close.
    That's because I overdid sharpening and techniques I used when I began making this pack made artifacts pop out more.
    I just wanted to let you know that this issue is being worked on.
    -------

btw, here's another long grass variant:

and some new rocks:

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  12. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Take a look at first texture from another new set, white stones:

Original size on left, tiled 2x on the right.

---------------------------
    In other news, if you'd like to try out some single textures before buying bigger packs now you can do so!
    first bunch of textures from this pack is now available at www.handpaintedtextures.com, right on the bottom.
    More will come soon!

13. crafTDev

crafTDev

So um, any plans to put up separate sets yet? I'm still waiting :-/

14. Ravart

Ravart

Sry, I didn't describe my request decent, but now it doesn't matter, cause you released your pack and I can buy it.
    Are updates included or do I have to buy a second package?

15. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Sorry about that, jrDev.
    I'm super busy so I keep forgetting about preparing those packs. (and well, writing descriptions isn't particularily fun task)
    Do you have some favourites that you'd like me to prepare first?

@ DarkphoenixX - that's good to hear! All of updates that don't stray from original theme will be included so all of current buyers can get them for free. The price of package will most likely go up once more content is added so if you want to save monies now's definitely a good time to buy it.

16. crafTDev

crafTDev

Mud, Ground and Forest sets....

17. crafTDev

crafTDev

I actually just bought one of your textures from that www.handpaintedtextures.com. Funny enough, I was initially purchasing textures from there, but I needed more surface types.

18. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Nice! I hope they serve you well. A bunch of lava textures should be soon available there as well.

Sadly the huge amount of freelance offers that I've been getting leaves me very little time to work on asset store stuff.
    But whenever I find some time I try to work on new textures or rework old ones.

Here's one of my attempts at snow textures:

19. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Here's another one from the red/brown rocks set:

Tiling still needs some tweaking.

20. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Another one of them snowy textures:

21. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

The second texture from white rocks set:
    Still WIP.

22. StarAbove

StarAbove

Very very nice. Any updates on new textures you are planning to do?

23. SteveJ

SteveJ

There seems to be a slight inconsistency with the following set of textures:

HPTP_NS_GrassPatches1
    HPTP_NS_GrassPatches1a
    HPTP_NS_GrassPatches1b

I've tiled them left-to-right here:
    http://www.stevejarman.com/temp/ground.png

The first image (HPTP_NS_GrassPatches1) seems to have a slightly lighter colored base layer to the other two so - when tiled - the seams between them are quite visible.

Anyway chance of fixing that up in a future update?

24. Mcg

Mcg

just bought this myself very nice pack :) , some few variation updates would be great like snow as already mentioned etc :D

25. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Hello!
    Sorry for late reply, It's been ages since my last post here.
    The huge amount of freelance work I had in recent months made it very difficult for me to find time to work on asset store stuff.

But I certainly haven't forgotten about this particular package. Its popularity exceeded my expectations and I wish to continue supporting it.

So, the first bigger update is ready!
    It contains about 25 new textures, most of which were painted from scratch, rest of them are new variations for textures that were included previously.

I also fixed tiling issues and other small problems in some of old textures.
    Forest textures have been brightened to match other sets better.
    I'm still experimenting in order to find the best global brightness and saturation level, so please keep in mind that some settings may need to be changed after you download the update.

I will prepare a sheet showing new additions tomorrow.

-----------
    SteveJ - you're right, this kind of inconsitency is present in some of textures. I'll fix this one asap.

Mcg - Thanks! Update will be online soon.

-----------

In other news, the amount of content increases so price will also increase in order to remain adequate.
    The first increase will be just 5$ more, and I will submit that change in 1 week from today. So I hope that potential buyers will still have plenty of time to buy it cheaper.
    Next increase will happen only after more textures are added.

26. Mcg

Mcg

awesome look forward to checking it out!

27. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Here's new stuff:

This sheet doesn't show everything that was added, remaining 5-6 textures include few snow variations, one sand variation, one grass patches variation and one ground with pebbles variation.

28. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Just a heads up, the update is undergoing the review process and should be available for download soon.
    Also, only 3 days of old price left!

29. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

The 1.10 Update has been accepted to asset store, grab it now!
    And let me know if you have any requests for future updates.

Also, price change will be sent for approval about 10 hours from now.

30. p6r

p6r

Thanks a lot for this update...
    Water textures ???

6R

31. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

Hello again!
    It seems that interest in my hand painted stuff is still high, which makes me very happy.

I've been rather busy during last few months so I had no time to focus on Unity assets.
    However! This month I started painting new textures in my free time, which will unevitably turn into a brand new package.
    The theme of this pack will be roads, pavements and floors.

I'm not sure about amount and price yet but I suspect that first release will feature about 20-30 textures.
    I will try my best ensure that the package is compatible with Natural Surfaces in terms of style and brightness, though I learned a lot of new techniques and I think the overall quality of this pack will be higher.

Here's a little teaser:

More updates will come soon, perhaps in a new thread.

32. alex_d

alex_d

The longer i scroll down, the bigger urge is to purchase this pack. The quality is insane, and this is exactly what i was searching for our project.

33. metric-meditation

metric-meditation

34. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Getting this! Using in my project unless I can learn to paint like a pro.

35. Anderrenjokuak

Anderrenjokuak

Only 65$? That's not a very god price for me I was thinking that it was for free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

36. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

You clearly have no idea how much time goes into hand painted textures. Hours and hours for each one. $65 is more than fair.

Deleted User likes this.
  37. Blaze_K

Blaze_K

@ Anderrenjokuak

Please keep in mind that it took me over 1,5 month of hard work to create, organize, prepare and release this package.
    Also, few months after initial release I made and uploaded a whole bunch of new textures that every buyer could (and still can) get for free via update.

I really don't believe the price is too high and judging by sales quite a lot of people found it reasonable as well.

Awesome! May the textures serve you well.

-----

Btw, I encourage anyone who's interested in my stuff to check out my new upcoming hand painted pack here:

Hand Painted Texture Pack - Floors, Roads, Pavements

38. alienheretic

alienheretic

Very nice work indeed can you add some ice cliffs?

39. Blaze_K

Blaze_K