Search Unity

H1Z1 cheaters to apologise publicly

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by minionnz, May 20, 2015.

1. minionnz

minionnz

I see that excuse for anti-DRM/piracy a lot - has that actually ever happened?

And as for software ownership, it's my understanding that the EULA has always granted "permission" to play the game? Even in the earliest PC games

I don't see the problem with renting games/software at all - and I think this "I want to own my games, not rent them" argument from (very vocal) gamers is holding the industry back.

As for renting property, furniture etc, I think I'd like to know that I would be able to change things (painting etc) without asking permission - some sense of ownership.

jpthek9 and landon912 like this.
  2. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

It's supposed to happen when ever a company loses their license, but the games previously had no way to enforce it. Old arcade games are a good example. Besides destroying / taking the unit, there's no way to enforce the laws if the developers who made the game lose the rights to some characters in the game in the already sold units.

Online games can patch them out. Games with strict enough drm can just shut the product down / shut down the auth servers. When PT was removed from PSN, people thought they could continue to play it if they already downloaded it. This is true if you're offline, but if you go online, the PSN tries to verify your access to a game that does not exist on the store, then you're locked out of your PSN game library :D

PT is probably the only instance of this that a lot of people would be aware of. Blizzard Entertainment purchased the IP for Robot Arms Glitch in the System and that's why there's no sequel. If they had a way to shut down original copies of the game I'm sure they would, since they own the rights to it now.

DRM always-online games, single and multiplayer, are the [unfortunate] future. EA has already started making their older games unplayable & removing them from existence rather than simply provide offline patches. It really is up to piracy to preserve gaming history - and continue playing a product you paid for but the auth servers have shut down. Maybe the EULA states that you don't own the game and the company can take away access at any time for any reason, but I don't think the general public, gamers especially, are going to accept that.

EA also has no incentive to enforce it or stop piracy. If it becomes the norm that you expect games you own to disappear / be taken away from you after a few years or less, there is no reason to buy games. You can rent them for cheaper and you never really "buy" the game anyway, you're renting it either way. All we know for sure is that the next few decades will be very interesting ;)

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are a ton of games I used to play as a kid that I can't buy now. And its not just the software, its the entire system, from hardware to operating systems to input devices to the actual game itself. To run them today you need to use emulators and copies of the software. In many cases this is illegal. And if the various companies twenty years ago no longer support there product in a legal fashion, it doesn't take much of a stretch of the imagination to imagine that the same thing will occur twenty years from now.

That doesn't really give you an excuse to pirate the latest release from Blizzard, but it does give some support to the idea of pirating old games once they are no longer legally supported.

Pecek, angrypenguin and wbailey79 like this.
  4. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@BoredMormon what about games only a few years old that are unplayable because the authentication servers were taken down?

5. wbailey79

wbailey79

Interestingly this thread seems to have gone from 'Apologizing for cheating in a video game.' to 'Does DRM in video games create a gray area concerning ownership and encourage piracy?'

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

The absolute time doesn't matter much with this argument. Its just if the game is still playable legally or not. In fact, consumer law might actually be on your side if the servers are pulled after a very short time. This makes the product sold "not suitable for purpose", at the least this allows you to get a refund on the purchase. That would be an interesting one to see tested in court.

Welcome to the discussion forum. Between myself and @Tomnnn we can derail any thread.

7. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Technically no since you never owned anything in the first place. I'm sure if you read through the EULA of even super old games, there's something in there about owning revokable access rather than owning the game itself. Now the question has been answered so the derailment is over :D

Go team! \ ( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °) /\ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡ °) /

I like the way some laws work though. I could put myself in unrecoverable debt by permanently seeding a pirated file between two computers. Sounds like a fun use of my life.

8. Amon

Amon

If you want to know the effect cheaters have on a game, its customers and the costs the producers of the game have to make to try to stop it, just do a search on Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer. They use to charge, like an in app purchase, for certain game play addons etc similar in fact to Fifa Coins that allow you to improve your team. Now think of it this way. When boosting your team and spending money, real money, to help attain a higher rank, get your players to score more goals, go up a season, or buy that star player; you bust your backside getting there, blood - sweat and tears etc. you pay to enter competitions to ultimately, if your good enough, get the top prize - real cash reward................

............... But you can't because you got cheated by a f%*& @ng lag cheat who, when there is 5 game minutes left and they are losing, lag the game with a cheat ultimately ending it and tricking the server system in to thinking you did it. You lose a game you were winning and at the same time you get blasted or ultimately banned by Konami for cheating.

I don't play Pro Evo Anymore. Since the 2013 version the laggers are using more sophisticated connection laggers but also like I said the software they use to cheat, when used, makes it look like you quit the game or lagged it.

Go to any forum, respected forum, dedicated to Pro Evo and you will see what I mean.

Putting it in simple terms, whether its FIFA 15 Ultimate Team or the equivalent in Pro Evo, Unreal Tournament, Counter Strike, any multiplayer online game that allows purchases with real money or not, cheating steals from the legitimate player who follows the rules and does everything by the book. Whether that theft ends up being financial, losing a season, losing a round etc it all ends in on thing which is the greatest loss, the greatest theft; your enjoyment playing the game online.

That's why cheaters can kiss my ass.

Pecek, NomadKing, Teila and 2 others like this.
  9. Barianos

Barianos

If it was just a couple of people cheating, they would have been banned, stayed banned, and nobody would even talk about it. What happened here, if I got it correct, is that the cheaters were awfully many, and by banning them, the game lost a whole lot of traffic. Off course that is not good for the company, nor for the players of the game, since in a MMO you need more people to make the game more fun.
    So, how I see it, the company didn't make a good job protecting the game from cheats to start with. There will always be cheaters, or at least people that want to cheat. If you can't stop them from doing so, it has consequences, just like cheating in a game has consequences.
    So the consequence for not being able to keep hacks to a minimum, or completely out of the game, is that not only will a big percentage of your players cheat, but the game will actually attract people who find cheating more enjoyable than simply playing. So, you have to decide how to manage this thing, and I'm sure it's not easy at all. And here we have what gigiwoo already said,
    Instead of letting their game become a game only for cheaters, or let their game become deserted, they ban the cheaters, make a huge story out of it, and possibly benefit from the hole thing.
    Is it a good or a bad thing? Well, neither in my opinion.
    If you are one of the cheaters, you get a choice. You either value the game enough to do something and get back to it, or you don't, and just take the consequences of cheating.
    If you are a player who did not cheat, you might feel it is injustice to let these people back into the game. But you still get more people to play with, which is what MMOs are about. And the hole publicity of the matter, is bound to get you even more players to play with.
    And the company, they made the best out of a bad situation, they probably even benefited from the situation. What was "expected" from them, was to not benefit, but they did something different, something innovative, that turned out for the best. to some people they might be the "evil capitalistic corporation", to me they are a bunch of smart people, who did a mistake in building their game, but once the problem came to their door they made sure all people involved would get the best out of the situation. That is quite impressive...

Kiwasi likes this.
  10. wbailey79

wbailey79

Thank you, I now consider myself informed. You may carry on. :cool:

Kiwasi likes this.
  11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I got banned from COD : MW2 because a hacker created & left an infected lobby... then I became the host. There was no reasoning with valve, so I downloaded the same hack tools that the hacker was using (created by someone called 'agentgod' lol) and bypassed the vac ban so I could continue to play :D

Hackers are annoying but damn those tools are effective.

I hear that may happen in Diablo 3 because of turbohud. I'm curious on how blizzard will go about detecting a random executable file reading memory without changing anything or touching the game files at all, but people are concerned about the population drop it will cause if they do. Not sure where it's coming from, but the number I keep seeing for the number of turbohud users is around 30,000.

There is an art to derailing threads whilst staying somewhat related to the original topic and keeping the discussion friendly.

wbailey79 likes this.
  12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

So what does it do, then? Assuming that all calculations are done on the server and you only get told about things you can see and/or hear, what can people achieve by looking without touching?

13. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

There's 2 main features for turbohud. The first is displaying actual damage numbers. I still haven't tried it for fear of bans, but his is what I'm tempted by. On every skill, it shows the actual damage, taking everything into account from skill bonus to element bonus, attack speed etc. There's also a counter for your actual damage done and average damage per second calculated from you killing things. I imagine that would be handy for figuring out what build is most effective for the gear you've got. This information is all drawn in over the screen. It doesn't touch game files or memory because it's an overlay :D it's TurboHUD.

The second function is what concerns players and blizzard, in part because the game designers there have stupid ideas. TurboHUD can also show where enemies are on your minimap and what powers they have. This allows players to avoid instant-death by avoiding monsters with jailer (blizzards fault). Right now, damage scaling is so out of control that a player with maximum and zero 'toughness' fair about the same against a jailer enemy.

Some idiots at blizzard decided that enemy crowd control abilities should deal damage. Jailer, as the name suggests, traps the player for a moment so they can't move. At some point, it was modified to also deal a huge amount of damage, and that's a problem with damage scaling because it's unavoidable. It is cast on the player instantly. Running into one of these monsters is literally the difference between success or failure in some time based game modes, so the information this gives is super valuable.

Side note on poor design - I watched someone use an invincibility bug to get into a level 100 greater rift. Blizzard hasn't even tested it, because the health scaling went so out of control that the monster health reached its max limit and couldn't display correctly. It capped around 999 billion and it was out of 320 trillion. I recall another thread on here about number limits, and that exceeding certain thresholds is probably bad design ;) But wow. A blizzard AAA game 3 years into release... with untested content... Even the slaughtering grounds is a complete game. I hope that burn hurts, acti-bliz.

Kiwasi likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

So blizzard is basically hiding pertinent secret data on user computers, and hoping no one looks?

I hope they do better with credit card data.

Pecek likes this.
  15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah. That's why I made this assumption:
    Seems like this is essentially a "wall hack" equivalent. Client PCs shouldn't know about stuff they can't see/hear, but apparently in this case they do. (I assume there's some pertinent reason for that, but this is a great example why it should be avoided when possible.)

Kiwasi likes this.
  16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Why are they idiots? Sounds to me like they wanted to make min/max builds like the one you mention extremely risky, which seems reasonable enough to me, and have succeeded in doing so.

17. cl9-2

cl9-2

And possibly video games? Do you think cloud gaming is or will be a viable choice for vendors and developers?

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I think everything is going toward services. The average person consumes tv content using netflix. That's less boxes, it's less waste, it's cheaper and everyone ends up making more money while the consumer saves more money.

This dynamic will be extended to everything, and is already practically there with things like PS+.

With software, it's a little different, but you do get people subscribing to adobe, to Unity, to whatever services and so on. People like to consume entertainment in small chunks and like to pay in small chunks, that much is clear. How long before steam offers a broad subscription to play any game that the sub service supports, similar to netflix?

Is digital ownership actually really worth anything vs paying less for digital access? Shelf space? a small boolean on a server indicating you 'own' this title?

zombiegorilla and cl9-2 like this.
  19. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Some keywords for the future: renting, recycling and renewable energy. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think renting, from a resource management perspective, is more about not letting anything go to waste, than removing the notion of ownership. People can probably still own and micro-manage their properties but they need incentives not to let them go to waste... in every scenario, we'll find ownership already does come with responsibilities, and it should the owner responsibility, for example, not to waste real estate... maybe by setting large taxes on homes that aren't being used at all. And have the state absorb abandoned properties that are just rotting in some sort of legal limbo, with no living owners, not only unused but not paying taxes.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
    cl9-2 likes this.
  20. cl9-2

cl9-2

Also, with streamable gaming, piracy and game asset theft would become a relic of the past.

21. Teila

Teila

Is there really a difference with digital content? I spend $3 to rent a movie with Amazon and have a specific time to watch it. But what if I want to rent a movie for a child? Children love to watch the same movie over and over again, sometimes into triple digits. So, I can buy the movie from Amazon for $15 and the child can watch the movie as much as he/she likes. I "own" it but honestly, if Amazon were to shut down, it would simple by a long term rental. Same with anything you buy from Steam or other places. You could store them on your computer or off-site, but still once your computer moves beyond the technology of that save file, you can't watch it. I have old games I love both in digital and disc form and can't play them because they are too old. So basically, I "rented" them long term and now they are useless.

So..to get back to the cheaters....if cheating becomes the norm and it is allowed in order to "build the populations in MMO", then the cheaters are no longer really cheating. They are playing the game the way the "company" wants them to play the game.

However, I believe that a game that bans cheaters, even if it is 24k cheaters, will grow as people who respect their diligence and consistency come back to try the game. If someone told me tomorrow that a particular MMO got rid of all the bots, I would pay to play it and that is saying a lot since I haven't played an MMO in a while.

Yes, I like MMO's because of the social interaction, the more players the better. But I would rather have half the number of players as long as they are quality players. Bots that don't respond to you or griefers/cheaters who only want to use you for their own enjoyment do not impress me. I would rather then not be there, even if the population is smaller. I think a lot of people feel the way I do.

22. wbailey79

wbailey79

Keeping with the topic of ownership. An attorney for the auto manufacture GM has recently stated that "It is our position the software in the vehicle is licensed by the owner of the vehicle."
    http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/20/general-motors-says-owns-your-car-software/

Obviously they are not speaking video games, however it is a similar subject in regards to digital rights and software.

23. cl9-2

cl9-2

From a safety perspective, I think Gm's approach is correct
    At the very least, if the software is modified, the warranty should be voided and any registration to operate it on public roads disallowed.

24. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Because they introduced unavoidable damage into a game with infinite scaling. I'm sure you're familiar with the gaming term "1-shot" which, as it sounds, it when you or something else received >= maximum health in 1 attack. They're idiots because the scaling for monster health exceeds the maximum damage players can have and the monster damage exceeds the maximum toughness a player can have. They've made defense pointless because even perfect gear cannot mitigate damage values that approach infinity :p

As for how DatModz finished GR100 in 6 minutes... there is a weapon that deals I think 100000% damage to enemies below 10% health. When he entered GR100 the enemy max health was in the high trillions and their starting health was in the billions because of number limits - this is obviously untested or content they hoped the soft limits would prevent people from reaching, either is pathetic. What's even more pathetic about it is that the GR difficulty became a bell curve :p When monster max health exceeds the number limit for the type storing their current health, they start off with <= 10% of their health already, so they're easy prey for the weapon I mentioned. This happened to the boss too lol. 320 trillion max health, but only 999 billion to start with. That's 1/320 so the weapon was super effective.

In short - as damage approaches infinite (or >= than the soft caps on player health and damage mitigation), health and defense become useless and everyone should become glass cannons and pray they don't run into a jailer mob. Or in the case of TurboHUD, they can get farther than anyone else by seeing the jailer monster on the map and avoiding it.

Also, their intention failed. Adding damage to CC abilities was to stop ranged characters from standing away from the fight and attacking from a distance. Well... if you stand on the edge of the screen out of range of jailer, you can still do that. The implementation is an utter failure :)

25. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

What about the other way round - if it really does not make a difference then why won't Adobe grant people perpetual licenses with maybe a simple cutoff date for further updates?

26. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

@Tomnnn come on man those jailers are no issue. So they temporarily stop my movement. Big deal. They will get their ass kicked as soon as I am free. And you know there is gear to reduce the impact of such effects, right? I hear a lot of people complaining about the arcane sentry too. OMG those lasers are too strong. Well get some resistance or better yet I found a ring that converts arcane damage into life. Lol

27. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@GarBenjamin being stopped for a moment isn't the issue. The damage jailer does in GR50+ is the problem. The immunity amulets (used to be rings - now they're amulets) don't solve the problem because thunderstorm is the same. It strikes multiple times dealing just as much damage as jailer does. You can't gear immunity for both, and 99% damage reduction still deals over 1 trillion damage. You got over 1 trillion health? If you come across a jailer thunderstorm elite pack, you need several trillion health to survive half a second because their abilities have no cooldown.

And of course, you can get jailed and then be stuck there for all 4-6 strikes of thunderstorm, taking several million damage in the process either from the jail or the lightning :p

T6 is a joke. The highest difficulty outside of 'greater rifts' equates to only greater rift level 25. The scaling between each GR level is exponential, and someone got to GR 100 showing the highest monster health (and rough damage equivalent) is over 300 trillion. It's a design problem to gear players to withstand <1billion health and give monsters the ability to spam >1trillion damage.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  28. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Well man Cain never said it will be easy. I will get on tonight and look for these thunderstorm jailers. Never seen them. Even if I die be fun battling. Usually I want there to be more challenge. So if there is an elite pack that although I am trying my best I get slain in 3 seconds or less that will renew my interest in the game. There has to be some impossible challenge / wall I can throw myself against again and again (as long as I can improve in gear or skills or tactics) to keep my interest. Mowing everything down like Godzilla is boring. Anyway thanks for letting me know about them.

EDIT: They sound like a heck of a pack. Perhaps my greatest foes because a year or so back I changed my monk to a Lightning Monk. Mine was the first I had seen. Originally I had a fire like everyone else and wanted something different. But these lightning jailers will have high resists to lightning damage. Lol It will be interesting.

Last edited: May 22, 2015
  29. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, of course—you can play whatever games you own at any time. I guess some people only play the latest games and that's not a concern for them, but many of us don't, and it is a concern. Theoretically companies could keep titles available forever since they're just a collection of bits, but theory and the real world definitely do not match up in this case. (e.g., try to get Colin McRae Rally...you can't, the licensing expired and it's no longer for sale anywhere. Fortunately I own a copy and can still play it, which I do occasionally since I have a fondness for that title and I don't even like most racing games that much, so telling me to just play another racing game won't cut it.)

--Eric

Pecek, angrypenguin and dogzerx2 like this.
  30. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I think you owe H1Z1 an apology.

31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

That's kind of the problem :p Monsters out scale the player in both defense and offense.

Thunderstorm is a relatively new elite power. If you haven't played since jailer started to deal damage, you're in for a sour treat. On the bright side, if T6 is your end game, there is more build variety now. I myself use the carnevil mask, new zuni set and the dagger of darts. So I have 22 pets at all time who all shoot poison darts when I do, they pierce through enemies, and I cast wave of piranhas before that so they take amplified damage. The new zuni set also makes it so that enemies hit by mana spenders take +275% more damage from pets :D GR30 (5 levels above torment 6) was a cake walk.

There is a build in the current game that gives monks 6 attack per second. I don't remember what it's called, but I saw a video of it and I'm surprised it didn't bug out the sound or animations, it looks hilarious.

Sadly that won't matter with new games. It's either crack it or feel sad when the servers go down.

32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

But isn't this in areas that are meant to be extremely dangerous?

Isn't that the point? Isn't the game meant to increase in difficulty as it goes on? If the player out scaled the monsters then it'd get easier rather than more challening. If they scaled at the same rate then all that's ultimately changing is the animations. I could be missing something, tut to me it sounds like the issue is more that dying happens in an un-fun manner, rather than the dying in and of itself.

33. jpthek9

jpthek9

I really respect Daybreak for doing this and any coverage they receive, they deserve because their actions are groundbreaking and will push games to a new level of professionalism and quality. Proper difficulty design should certainly be implemented to encourage fair play but regardless, cheating in multiplayer is bad.

I also have respect for the cheaters who came forward because a lot of courage goes into admitting a wrongdoing, especially one that's done publicly. While I think the apologies would've been even more courageous if those players weren't given the motivation of an unban, they are still the select few who can swallow their pride - or, I guess, are so addicted they'd do anything to get their accounts back save spend more money.

34. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Groundbreaking? you mean embarrassing, right?

Kiwasi likes this.
  35. jpthek9

jpthek9

Multiplayer cheaters deserve whatever they get because they're intentionally making the game worse for others, at the same time coercing others to join them and make the game worse for even more people. They're like zombies and should be dealt with accordingly - with lead and molotov cocktails.

If professional athletic sports go ape poop on cheaters, why shouldn't video games?

36. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Because they're video games that aren't used for esports. They're the equivalent of a few guys dicking around on a basketball court, or local football field.

It's not pro unless it's actually picked up by gaming networks for esports.

What it is, is simply a multiplayer game where people are having fun, that the cheaters helped fund in the first place. So yeah, they do need some consideration. The best way of dealing with it is not to drag our industry down to some moronic public name and shame event. Seriously, it's my industry as well and I am speaking out against abuse of customers, regardless if they cheat or not.

I feel passionate about it. I make entertainment, I don't punish people who enjoy my games. End of story.

Instead of being a bully and a loudmouth - I would suggest the game be designed so nearby players can flag bad behaviour and a temporary ban is enforced, each time getting longer until the lesson is duly learned. There's a hundred schemes and methods you can use so that everyone's enjoyment is intact.

Lots of MMOs manage this in a considerate way without having to resort to bully scare tactics and child like playground behaviour. I'm not standing for it, it's about time our industry grew up and acted with a bit of decorum and self respect.

People will cheat. The majority of gamers, if they see an edge, they'll take it. Is anyone having real fun feeling that they are always watched by big brother? I think not. Grow up, game industry.

I don't particularly think it's healthy having more Phil Fish episodes or people taking game development to rock star status. In fact rock stars kind of grew up a while ago and moved on with the times. It's about inspiring, not being a child.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

Most products don't last forever either. If you're going to go the route of renting everything, then you need to start making products that can actually stand the test of time.

38. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

This isn't quite clicking in my head. Who are we renting the stuff from? Some sort of pseudo communist government that owns everything and rents stuff out to its citizens?

I'm not arguing for or against this system yet, I feel like I'm still missing some critical part of the concept.

BTW: Congrats in the derail, surreal to see my favourite mod join the party.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm talking about from clothes, to furniture to cars, to everyday items. We're incredibly wasteful as a race and hoard, covet items that are easily shared. This can't continue forever so at some point, regardless of the item or subject, it makes sense to extend sharing and reuse beyond the immediate family. Since there's illogical resistance to this, it can only mean it makes sense to talk about it, so that in 200 years time (whenever it becomes a real problem), people would have at least discussed the issue in depth before it became an issue.

I don't expect this will be an issue in our lifetime, but I tend to look at our species well-being overall. It's important to me that our species improves, and being more efficient with our resources and our planet is certainly important.

If you look at the news you'll see we're just buying, discarding, buying, discarding. That's insanity. However for 'rental' to ever make sense, it must always be cheaper than outright purchase over the long term.

As for whoever owns said object, I would suggest this doesn't matter, only that a system of less waste and more efficiency without downsides is available. It could be we all 'own' it and take responsibility, it could be anything really. But the idea that one person alone should own and covet a mass produced item seems primitive.

Particularly if said item is used infrequently, or worse, placed in storage. For what? So we can S*** up Earth some more?

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

A game where cheaters exist and use their cheating to abuse other players is not fun for the majority of the players. By condoning this, games are allowing cheaters to essentially become the game. The only way to fight it as a player is to join them and cheat.

Several of the "apologizers" said exactly this.

Most of us play games with the intent to play the game as the developer intended. We enjoy the challenge and realize that the balance will be upset if we cheat. But we can't enjoy the game if we are coerced into cheating ourselves to keep from losing things we worked hard for in the game.

I realize you won't be swayed either. But you stand up for the customer, you say...but what about the majority of customers who prefer a game where the developers actually care about them rather than those who cheat?

In my opinion, it is dishonest for a developer/company to post rules and ask for agreements and advertise their game as "balanced" and whatever, and then completely ignore those things. If I buy or subscribe to a game or buy things in the game store to use in the game and have to deal with cheating (24,000 players, for goodness sake!!), then the company/developer has broken his/her agreement with me as a player. I spent money to play a game that no longer exists.

So..what about those customers? You seem to value the smart dedicated hacker and cheater above the legitimate customer and honestly I don't get that. To me that is the ethical issue here...asking for money from people to play a game that you really have no intention of supporting.

On the other hand, I do respect your taking a stand in all this, in spite of all the opinions in this thread. :) You are tenacious and that is admirable.

41. wbailey79

wbailey79

I'm sorry I have to disagree with you. It isn't realistic to think that ownership will somehow be replaced by renting, or that it is even a good idea. There will always be those that own and those who rent, or some form of that. Likely a mix of owning some items, and renting others of course dependent on an individuals economic circumstances.
    There is nothing immoral, unethical or evil about property ownership.

As for "S*** up Earth some more?" I simply don't buy it. Sure we should be less wasteful, however the Environmentalist Agenda has been screaming 'the sky is falling' at least since the 1970s, and the vast majority of it's predictions have proven inaccurate.

42. Teila

Teila

As an environmental geologist, I can easily say that you have not seen what I have seen. :) Most of those predictions are coming true...sad to say.

Ryiah and JasonBricco like this.
  43. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

No it's not primitive. I think it has more to do with being human. There are things which can and should be borrowed rather than bought. But I can't see it as a system for anything. Especially not items that have or gain personal value for people to posess (like special childrens toys or rings or the like). Also not items that a person wears out easily. Clothing especially.

On the other hand there already are very well established and used systems of borrowing like you said. Even if not in the way you are probably picturing ultimately. Fitness studios, public transport systems, libraries ... all very established and viable options. And those are all options I also frequent. Public transport even to the degree that I never in my life time have owned a car. I do own a bike though. And I use it and I am used to it and I will ride it until it breaks or is rusted to death and in no way in hell would I want to share or borrow it.

Personally I do not see a problem with the borrowing option as long as it makes sense and it remains just that - an option. I cannot see it as a 100% goal. Never ever. Having borrowed goods as the only options again creates imbalance and dependencies. Without balance it cannot work. And 100% wither way is not a balance.

In that regard I also stand by it: For software it makes not much sense either except for the manufacturer. Licenses can have perpetual using rights while still maintinging a small fee. And Adobe to me are a prime example of how NOT to do it. Luckily other companies are starting to make fair and affordable options more and more. And I hope that in the end we wil have a solution that is fair to developers and consumers alike.

The again to be fair: A lot of the people screaming "Global warming is a hoax" right now are wrong as well. As proven by science regularly. It's not happening as fast as predicted but we are royally screwing up a few things with nature we better not screw up. But that's a completely different subject now.

Ryiah and Teila like this.
  44. HemiMG

HemiMG

I understand your argument better now, but you are taking it to far IMO. How would I share my furniture in any meaningful way? I'm not sleeping in my bed right now, but if someone else wanted to they'd have to come to my house and pick it up. Then when I wanted to go to sleep I'd have to go to their house and pick it up. It makes far more sense for me to own my bed and let it go unused until such time as I need it than it does for me to pay for it in perpetuity because somebody somewhere might be able to use it. I don't think there are many people out there hoarding beds and sofas. The same goes for many of the things on your list.

45. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Haha, no :) As I said, these aren't issues for today but I imagine they'd be unavoidable thanks to advances in science and medicine enabling longer lives, more lives and so forth, give it a few hundred years.

46. HemiMG

HemiMG

In a few hundred years we'll probably have solutions in place that make our descendents look back on any worries over the issue more with amusement than empathy. A good example is paper. Trees are much safer now that we are largely moving towards a paperless society than a person a few hundred years ago may have imagined them being. Heck they are safer than a person a few decades ago would imagine them being. Fossil fuels are still a necessity, but are becoming less so.

Ryiah and dogzerx2 like this.
  47. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Maybe will will have a Star Trek like society one day? They already predicted tablets right :D

Ryiah and Teila like this.
  48. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Elon Musk says we're going to have to go Mars to survive:

49. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Nailed it. There are 2 attacks that are unavoidable, which is the issue with scaling damage so high - you get killed with no time to react and no strategy to use. There is a necklace to make you immune to one of the two attacks, but not both. You don't see it coming and it has no time between attacks. So if you're trying to run away, well, it is cast on your location and has a 100% chance to hit you.

Diablo 2 was a level & skill check. Diablo 3 is usually a gear check, until you run into the problem of impossible content and no counter gear. The game is fun so long as you don't bother with some content :p

50. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hear here.

Cars and transportation are one of my personal peeves. The whole "live a long way from work, commute each way, and often bring a whole car which sucks up natural resources and has to be stored at each end" just seems senseless to me. It wastes time, space and resources. I've yet to figure out what it gains us...

Kiwasi likes this.