Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GyroDroid - Access each and every sensor on Android devices [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by pfc, Aug 19, 2011.

1. PixelsFromSpace

PixelsFromSpace

I'm trying out a AR type of program, I want to lay out a cgi 'floor', a grid-like plane, onto the real world floor and stay as close as possible to the real world ground but always get a very small jitter. Could this code manage to 'lock' an object in place and then ignore these tiniest movements? So that when the user is holding the device still (or as still as possible) the Gyrodroid code ignores any movement below a user-defined value, thus blocking out anything but an intentional movement? I'm using an Xperia Play and it's very close to achieving what I want but for these very slight jitters.

2. ganesh-pingale

ganesh-pingale

is it work on iOS?

3. pfc

pfc

Sorry for answering late.

@mocaponeuk, ganesh.pingale: iOS cross-compile is finished and currently in testing. Could take a few more weeks, but hopefully not more.

@Le Lag: Try calibrating your devices as a first step (move the device around in an eight-like fashion in the air - that's the built-in Android way to calibrate sensors). After that, you can choose one of several fallback methods - look in SensorHelper, there are different ways to enable rotation. GyroDroid chooses the "best" regarding which sensors are available on the device, but on some devices, the system sensor fusion is badly implemented. On these, your best guess is to either make a menu option (as in the demo app) to select the rotation method, or to build some kind of heuristics/quality testers to detect whether the current selection works fine.

@KareemErgway: answered directly to your thread.

@TiMus: it should work, but with 2.2 you're definitely missing out on some more advanced sensors (RotationVector and LinearAcceleration were added to the OS in Android 2.3).

@PixelsFromSpace: you can easily implement any kind of camera movement filter you want on top of GyroDroid. An easy way would be to use the provided AngleFilter class to filter the camera rotation more, although with any kind of filtering you will also get worse results on "standard" movement of the camera. One way would be to filter the more, the less the camera seems to be moving.

4. ganesh-pingale

ganesh-pingale

It is possible to control car using this plugin.
    if yes then which sensor gyroscope or Accelerometer and How?

5. pfc

pfc

@ganesh.pingale: what you control is your choice, GyroDroid just provides the sensor input you get from your Android device. Just try out the different sample scenes to see which might fit your usecase.

6. Fred_Vicentin

Fred_Vicentin

I bought Gyrodroid but it's not working on my Galaxy Tablet,

I'm using TurntableSensor example but when I turn it all the axis are wrong, but when I downloaded the sample example on Android Store, it was working fine ! I just opened the Turntable sample scene and exported to android

UPDATING: I'm using Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1v

Its look like a problem on the Rotation of the Z axis, I don't done anycode, just used the sample scene or TurntableSensor, the Demo on Android Store works

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  7. DCrosby

DCrosby

So upon reading a lot about Accelerometer based movement, I understand it's error prone, and has issues with direction. Neither of which bothers me. Since I want to couple Accelerometer based movement with GPS Breadcrumbs to check for actual location, and then using the compass for heading. Do you have anything that gives you position from linear acceleration ?

So if I'm initially standing at 0,0 (Excluding Height because I'm using ground collision and don't care if you jump up and down) and then take a step forward I'd like to be somewhat forward in Z and possibly somewhat sideways on X, and as stated Flat on Y.

BTW I did purchase the Kit, and I can find the FPV_GyroAccel Script, but it doesn't really use the accelerometer unless the gyro is out of commission, and then only for looking around not really for translation, from what I can tell.

-Derek

8. pfc

pfc

@DCrosby: GyroDroid does provide access to the linear acceleration sensor of your Android device. However, there is no built-in position estimation from the linear acceleration, as this is indeed very, very error prone. You can try it, but our tests suggested an error of at least several meters per second. See also this previous answer for more information, including a Tech Talk by Google explaining that the kind of sensors used in Android devices is mostly unusable for position estimation.

9. kolchaud

kolchaud

Hi,

Thanks for your great work.

I have a question. I'm using others controls (2 joypads sitcks) to move my firts person camera and they are conflicting with sensor.
    So I disable sensor (by disabling minimal sensor script) when I use sticks . It works pretty well. But, when I release sticks -I activate sensor script- and my camera view direction is pointing to the initial value. Is there a way to init sensor with a view direction value, which should be in my case to the current camera direction value ?

Thanks in advance.

10. pfc

pfc

Just take a look at the TurntableCamera sample. This applies an offset using the first value got from the sensor. You could do something similar - on reenabling the sensor script, take the current rotation value as an offset to correct the following values.

11. darkanum

darkanum

I've got the same problem.

12. pfc

pfc

@darkanum, what Unity and Android version (x.y, stock/custom ROM/manufacturer) are you using? Also, "got the same problem" means same device?

13. petak_core

petak_core

Hi pfc,
    first many thanks for greate Assetpack Gyrodorid it works greate...

but I have a question about "calculating rotation from a given starting pose".. I used your solution as:
    And it works greate too, but I have a problem when I mooved (not rotate) my phone a look at another place, the camera is little mooving.. (but my phone is on the solid table/desk)...

Do you have any tips how to stop that.. ?
    I tested the same on your Google PlayStore app (CameraAsWindow and RotateAroud) at sometimes that happened the same problem..

Thanks

14. petak_core

petak_core

Hi pfc,

I have one more question, when I use this for rotatin camera and lost marker:
    Code (csharp):
    2. transform.rotation = startRotation * SensorHelper.rotation * Quaternion.Inverse(firstSensorRotationValue);
    my 3d model is realy center on screen (when I lost marker) a X axis works like in CamerWindow, but with Y axis is something wrong, it's little defect..

I made some expertimets and when I used only:
    Code (csharp):
    2. transform.rotation = startRotation * SensorHelper.rotation;
    both X and Y axis work great but 3d model is not on center screen. I have to find with rotation my phone..

Do you have any tips for my problem..
    TY

15. petak_core

petak_core

Hi all,

I would like to say I solved my problem, with startPosition and Y axis. I have to used special settings for my MainCamera, I have to set WordCenter = None in QCARBehaviour.

Thats fix my problems :)

16. pfc

pfc

hey _petak_, good to hear you solved it!

17. boriel

boriel

Hi.
    It seems Gyrodroid stops compiling even the demo scenes with the latest Unity 4.2 update. :( Can someone else confirm??
    The error message is:
    Assets/GyroDroid/Sensor.cs(635,58 ): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.AndroidJavaObject.AndroidJavaObject(string, params object[])' has some invalid arguments

Edit: I'm still learning about Unity + Android plugin integration so the following might not be correct, but this fix seems to work as a temporary solution:

Replace the offending line:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         // create an internal instance of the java class
    3.         ao = new AndroidJavaObject(obj_JavaClass);  // ORIGINAL
    with:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         // create an internal instance of the java class
    3.         AndroidJavaClass jc = new AndroidJavaClass("com.unity3d.player.UnityPlayer");
    4.         AndroidJavaObject currentActivity = jc.GetStatic<AndroidJavaObject>("currentActivity");
    5.         ao = new AndroidJavaObject("com.pfc.sensors.SensorClass", currentActivity);
    This seems (beware!) to work ok...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  18. pfc

pfc

Thanks for reporting, boriel. We will look into that as soon as possible; seems Unity broke something there with their update...

19. pfc

pfc

Hello everyone,

an exciting update is on its way to the asset store and will hopefully be available in a few days.

* fix for Unity 4.2 breaking GyroDroid
    * restructuring to allow for cross-platform sensor solutions
    * experimental iOS support (so supported sensors work the same there, including a virtual linear acceleration sensor)
    * two new sensors: ambient temperature and relative humidity

As soon as the new version is available, we will also update the front page of this thread and the Google Play Store app.

20. venusboysatish

venusboysatish

21. gaitat

gaitat

what would the policy be for people you already have bought version 3.1?

22. pfc

pfc

Unity Assetstore policy is "once bought, always download", as I see. So you should be able to just download the update when it's available.

23. hrvat

hrvat

Hey there! Your demo app works really nice, I have question before I buy, is it possible to include a skybox in the 'camera as window'? So I can practically view the entire 'space' as an example?

24. pfc

pfc

Yes, of course skyboxes etc. are possible. We used GyroDroid for 360°x180° panorama viewing for example.

25. hrvat

hrvat

Thanks so much for the quick response, actually my desesperation was bigger and faster :p Bought the package before :p

I just tried skyboxes, works really nice, btw have you guys tried Augmented Reality Metaio with your plugin? Displaying something with a marker and then using your plugin to work along?

Just worndering :)

26. pfc

pfc

Hehe, nice to hear :).

Yes, we used GyroDroid together with Vuforia (basically same as metaio) to have the sensor take over once tracking is lost. Required some simple changes to Vuforia and worked quite well.

27. hrvat

hrvat

Any example you have with Vuforia? I've tried Vuforia before, but I'm more familiarized with Metaio

28. winkan

winkan

Hi
    Thanks for plug-in, I bought it but when I was import i am getting error:

Unity 4.2 Android - error CS1502

Unity shows error in Sensor.cs line 635.

Thanks.

29. pfc

pfc

@hrvat: there are plenty of Vuforia samples on Qualcomm's website. But we have no Vuforia+GyroDroid sample publicly available, all was contract work.

@winkan: yes, Unity 4.2 broke GyroDroid. An update is on its way and should be available for download in the next few days.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  30. winkan

winkan

@pfc

Thanks.

31. pfc

pfc

Hi all,

the GyroDroid 4.0 update is available in the asset store!

But: we need your help. GyroDroid, as so often requested, now contains iOS crosscompile support. This means that you can switch your build target from Android to iOS, and as long as you use sensors supported on both platforms (orientation, acceleration, rotation vector, linear acceleration), they should work as expected.
    The emphasis here lies on "should". We only had opportunity to test this with an iPhone 4 and an iPad Mini. iPad and other versions of iPhone/iPod etc. are untested.

So, to all developers out there who waited so long for iOS support: please test and report your findings either here or per mail. Thanks!

32. awesomechinese

awesomechinese

hey pfc,

just purchased gyrodroid. im wondering if there's any concrete documentation for script implementation or will i just have the learn from the examples?

is there a post/website/readme.txt that goes through each and every capability and how to implement it

thanks

edit: nevermind, found the readme. thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  33. awesomechinese

awesomechinese

hey pfc,

im working on an augmented reality project that will combine input from the android and other sensors attached to the computer. i just found out that i cant use gyrodroid capabilities in remote, which is the only way my system couldve worked.

im wondering if theres anything at all that i can do to make it work. otherwise, i might have to ask for a refund.

dont get me wrong; gyrodroid is an amazing program, but i just found that i cant apply it to what im working on now.

thank you for writing gyrodroid. i hope that theres some kind of solution.

thanks!

34. pfc

pfc

Hi awesomechinese,
    GyroDroid does currently not support sensor streaming. But you can of course use e.g. Unity's built in networking to stream the data to your PC in any way you want. (We will look into how hard that would be to implement in the next days, but this is not a promise that it will be done at any time)

35. darkmax

darkmax

hi, pfc i purchase your plugins and works great, just two questions.

First - I'm trying to make a AR app based on gps, compass and gyroscope, and I'm using the script MagneticFieldCamera and the compass is working great (if the tabe is face up) but I need to use the table on landscape mode with the screen facing to the person, like on the picture.
    Also I want to combine it with other sensors like the gyroscope, because when the user tilt the table up the ar icons need to move down and vice-versa, so what you suggest i need to do to mix these two sensor, I want something like the scene Exploration Demo, also using the compass to align everything to real world.
    $augmented_reality_iPhone3GS.gif

Second - I read that you now support cross platform for ios, and my question is if i'm using the methods of gyrodroid that you provide to move my camera like I explain above, automatically it should work with the same results on ios or i need to program this myself using the gyroscope and compass methods that unity provides.

One last thing. The AR scene can switch orientations to landscape left and right (never it will show on portrait or any other), so I don't know if i need to make some operations to make it work right on this two orientations.

I haven't test the plugin on ios device, because i don't have always ios devices with me to make tests.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  36. pfc

pfc

Hi darkmax, what you describe sounds a lot like you could just use the MinimalSensorCamera to accomplish what you want. This is basically a full rotational window to the world you are seeing.

I would suggest you take a look at the RotationDemo (the one with the Android inside the gyroscope) and see how that's done. Then you can just place your markers around your camera position where you want them to appear in the real world and make sure that they are always aligned to the camera - done!

The RotationDemo etc. should work without any script changes on iOS. It's still experimental, so we're not quite sure whether it works on all iOS devices until further testing has happened.

To your last question, GyroDroid takes care of compensating all the rotational stuff and just works as expected. You would just have to flip your UI around.

37. darkmax

darkmax

Yeah i saw the rotation demo (my mistake when i said that i saw the Exploration Demo I was referring to the RotationDemo).

I'm using the minimalsensorcamera, and it's working great, what i'm having problem is with aligning the objects to real world, what I'm doing is to create a empty game object with name pivot with the same location of the camera and this pivot has 4 childs (the cardinal points), for example the north cardinal point is located on the position 0,0,350 and the south 0,0-350.

What I have done is to add the script MinimalSensorCamera to my camera, and to the pivot the MagneticFieldCamera but without the 90 degrees on the x value ( transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(0,magneticFilter.Update(Sensor.GetOrientation().x),0); ), but the problems is the cardinal points are not matching my real north.

So I don't know what i'm doing wrong

38. pfc

pfc

You don't have to use both cameras. Just use the MinimalSensorCamera for your camera, and don't add any script to your pivot. MinimalSensorCamera is already aligned by magnetic field, no need to double that.

39. darkmax

darkmax

wow that is much simpler than i thought, thanks.

40. awesomechinese

awesomechinese

Hi pfc,

I see what you mean. The product is wonderful, but again, although I initially thought that I could, I can't apply it to the project I'm working on.

Is it possible to receive a refund on Gyrodroid? I can delete all the unitypackage files from my computer and close my Unity account, as I will likely never be using Unity again.

Thank you.

41. darkmax

darkmax

me again, sorry but again with the same problem, when i run the app it seems the world is not aligned to the real world, for example a object that represents north is positioned in front of the camera in unity3d space, but on the real world the north is on my right. So I need to rotate the world to be aligned to the real north in real time, because on my house when i sit on my desk the north is in front of me and on this time it matches the real world with the unity world, but i need to match on any situation.

if I compile the app on my house with north of the world unity matching the real north, all works great my house, but when I open the app on my office like 3 miles away from my house, the real north and the unity north are north matching any more.

42. pfc

pfc

Hi darkmax, I sent you a PM, maybe we can continue that via email. Seems you have a rather specific problem there. I will post the solution here as soon as we have one.

43. jia309

jia309

Hello, I am new to Unity3d and GyroDroid also.Now i create a game that need to tilt the phone left and right to let the character collect item,now i using the script of scene physics demo named TurntableSensorCamera,but i just want move left and right only (x-axis),how to change it?

44. markspend01

markspend01

Hey Guys well i think that's amazing info about Gyro-droid 2.0 and also accessibility of sensor on android.Thanks!!

Double Ended Load Cells

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  45. pfc

pfc

@jia: for that kind of functionality, one easy way is to apply TurntableCamera to an empty gameobject instead of a camera. Then you can just use that object's rotation (in your case, z rotation) to turn your character. Using this way, you also have easy access to the other axes.

@markspend: thanks for your positive feedback, that became a rare thing in this fast and digital world :).

46. awesomechinese

awesomechinese

Hi PFC,

Again, I'm wondering if it's possible to receive a refund. I am working on a really tight budget, and I need the funds to purchase another sensor.

If it's not okay with you, then I'm fine leaving the issue. I'd just really like an answer.

Thank you,
    William

47. hrvat

hrvat

Have you tested it in iPad 3? It does not seem to work :(

Edit: Tried on iPod 4th generation, doesnt work
    Edit2: Tried on iPhone 4 doesnt work either :(
    Edit3: Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but it's strange because I've testing the scene in many mobile android platforms and it works fine, but not on iOS :(

I tried TurntableDemo, by the way I tried this scene on S3 and works.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  48. pfc

pfc

@awesomechinese: sent you a PM.

@hrvat: we would really like to fully support iOS, however, our testing capabilities rely on external support, like yours :). Sent you a PM. We really want to get these issues solved.

49. pfc

pfc

Due to popular demand, here's a short tutorial on how to use GyroDroid together with Vuforia (AR tracking). The idea is that if the marker is lost, rotational movement is still possible and you can re-lock to the target at any time.

First a disclaimer: the exact details may vary between different Vuforia versions. This here is tested with a very old version (like, the very first for Unity) and the current version (2.6.7) and there werent' any differences.

Step 0: Import both the Vuforia image target sample and GyroDroid into your project
    or start a new one for testing purposes. Open the sample scene with image targets (Scenes > Vuforia-4-ImageTargets).
    Delete all but one of the ImageTarget* objects in the scene, as the following will only work with one (but can of course be modified to work with multiple image targets).
    Remember to change the tracking target loaded by default by "" on ARCamera to the one you didn't delete.

Step 1: Modify a Vuforia script
    Locate DefaultTrackableEventHandler.cs. This script should already be applied to the ImageTarget game object (e.g. ImageTargetTarmac).

Inside the script, locate "OnTrackableStateChanged".
    Convert the "OnTrackingFound()" and "OnTrackingLost()" calls inside this method to SendMessage calls like this:

Code (csharp):
    1.     public void OnTrackableStateChanged(
    2.                                     TrackableBehaviour.Status previousStatus,
    3.                                     TrackableBehaviour.Status newStatus)
    4.     {
    5.         if (newStatus == TrackableBehaviour.Status.DETECTED ||
    6.             newStatus == TrackableBehaviour.Status.TRACKED)
    7.         {
    8.             SendMessage("OnTrackingFound", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    9.         }
    10.         else
    11.         {
    12.             SendMessage("OnTrackingLost", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    13.         }
    14.     }
    That's it for the Vuforia modification! (Pro tip: it would also be possible to register for the ITrackableEventHandler in a new script similar to TrackerEventHandler.cs, but that seems like overkill for most uses if SendMessage works that nicely)

Step 2: Create a new script for the sensor camera
    It's mostly the MinimalSensorCamera.cs from the GyroDroid examples. The only difference is the OnEnable method which re-stores the current camera rotation. (a bit like a mix from MinimalSensorCamera and TurntableCamera)

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class SwitchableSensorCamera : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     private Quaternion initialCameraRotation = Quaternion.identity;
    8.     void Start () {    
    9.         initialCameraRotation = Quaternion.identity;
    11.         SensorHelper.ActivateRotation();
    12.     }
    14.     void Update () {
    15.         transform.rotation = initialCameraRotation * SensorHelper.rotation;
    16.     }
    18.     void OnEnable() {
    19.         initialCameraRotation = transform.rotation * Quaternion.Inverse(SensorHelper.rotation);
    20.     }
    21. }
    Apply this script to the ARCamera that already is in the scene.

Step 3: Create a new script to connect the tracking targets and the camera
    This script is really simple.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ActivateGyroDroid : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     public SwitchableSensorCamera arCam;
    8.     void OnTrackingFound() {
    9.         arCam.enabled = false;
    10.     }
    12.     void OnTrackingLost() {
    13.         arCam.enabled = true;
    14.     }
    15. }
    Apply this script to all ImageTarget* objects and connect the arCam-Variable in the Inspector with the ARCamera.
    You're done! That should do the trick. Basically, whenever the target is found, GyroDroid is disabled, and whenever the target is lost, it's enabled again and saves the starting rotation.

Step 4: Build some geometry into the scene
    Best way to test this is to just place some objects around your image target. Remember to NOT parent stuff to the image target itself, because by default, whenever the target is lost, all childs of it get disabled. (Pro tip: of course you can change that, it's also just a few lines in DefaultTrackableEventHandler.cs)

Remember, the code as written here will only work with a single image target. If you want to support more than one, you will have to adapt this logic a bit (to enable GyroDroid only if not a single tracking target is found and to probably accomodate for changing positions of your world center).

50. boriel

boriel

I'm currently using Gyrodroid, and also programming for iOS. If you want betatesting I'm willing to test :)