GTA styled game

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Thomas96, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Thomas96

Thomas96

Since starting to program on Scratch I wanted to make a GTA type game, now I have blender, makehuman and Unity to make a 3D game! I really need help... I've made a character on makehuman, imported it to blender, (currently cleaning up the model to look real) and want to put the character into Unity.

Will the characters bones or skeleton in blender have any use on the movement in Unity?

And if anyone can just generally help me it would be apprieciated, coz I don't know a thing about javascript, C# or 3D programming.... If you have ever used Scratch you will know how complicated Unity will look compared to Scratch...

EDIT: I also need someone to clothe my character and if I can't do it, give him hair...:D
  2. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

If this is a joke, it's not funny. If you're being serious, well then good luck is all I can say.
  3. moonman

moonman

If your using that avatar as your logo, its illegal... Learn some more Unity before you ask these questions...
  4. appels

appels

some constructive info, start learning with the many tutorials that are floating around and the example projects. Once you understand those, you can maybe think about making a game.
  5. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

there are tons of tuts on youtube, if you watch all and learn, sure you can do a simple GTA-like game
  6. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Where's his avatar from, why is it illegal?
  7. Thomas96

Thomas96

I made the logo myself!
    I am being perfectly serious!
    Would the stupid robot tut be the most helpful one to start with?
    Would the bones on the character from blender be used for movement in Unity, I need to know this so I can either delete or keep the bones...
  8. Ensane

Ensane

why dont u just try it? it would take much less time then waiting for a reply
  9. mehware

mehware

I didn't know robots toot.
  10. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

The logo is obviously a copy of the Rockstar logo, except minus the leg on the 'R' and made into a 'P'. Not very inventive. Surely if you want to make something this big then a real logo made up by yourself is something everyone expects at the very least.
  11. Thomas96

Thomas96

I always thought that it was crap so I'll change it soon...
  12. foundre

foundre

Wow the majority of the posts here have been overtly rude and completely unnecessary. If you have nothing constructive to say move on to the next post where your self centered opinions might be useful.

NOW regarding the actual questions...

It is great you want to get started down this path and obviously your choice of software indicates that you are choosing the best possible options for an independent developer.

here are a list of the potential problems with a GTA style game that you might not have considered. Remember these problems are besides the fact that you have a lot to learn yet.

1. This is a large scale game and generally have 200-300 people system wide working. Even if you want the game to be AAA level and scale down to maybe 10-20 developers it would still take years and would lack a lot of the frills.

2. There are a lot of different roles in game design. Your best bet is to pick one and concentrate on it. If you master it move on to another. In time you could do a project solo but it is still advised against doing so.

3. The most challenging parts of game development are the ones you listed having no knowledge of...that is not a good starting point.

Now regarding tutorials, do as many as you can find. The object is not to mimic what you learn but to grasp the fundamentals of both game design and of the unity software.

Buy your models whenever you can. be sure to purchase the commercial license for them so you can use them. If your skills are more suited for graphics and modeling then do that and pay freelancers or interns to do the coding part but either way my original point is still true...solo = LONG|HARDSHIP|FAILURE in MOST cases.

Here are a list of some resources:
    https://www.design3.com/learn
    http://unity3dstudent.com
    http://www.unityprefabs.com
    http://www.turbosquid.com/

Hope this helps!
  13. Nikolay116

Nikolay116

it is perfectly fine and it is your own business what avatar to use if it does not have nudity or whatever. Also avatars are surely not subjected to copyrights. So relax
  14. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Legally, they're no different. It's just more effort than it's worth to hunt someone down to make them change it.

Course if he's using it as an identification to what he does, and with it being another companies logo only edited slightly and also planning on making a clone of said companies flagship product, then yeah that's like making a drink called Cola Coke.
  15. moonman

moonman

Its the same as the Rockstar logo. You can't make it that similar.
  16. Thomas96

Thomas96

Unless your going to say something constructive or helpful like foundre, bugger off!
  17. spiralgear

spiralgear

There is ZERO chance that ANYONE would EVER be sued for an avatar on a forum. Regardless of what that forum is for, or what the post was about. It simply does not happen.
  18. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

Nobody said they would, I made it clear that LEGALLY, it still comes under the same laws. It just isn't worth the effort. But that doesn't mean it CAN'T ever happen.
  19. Baracuda771

Baracuda771

I never said he would get sued. I merely stated that if he were to use his avatar as his actual logo for his group/company then it would be frowned upon. I was only saying he should make a logo his own idea and not some other logo with a minor change to it.

Also, we were saying that if he were to use it as his logo then he may encounter legality issues. Not his avatar. Avatar and company logo are two completely different things.

Get your facts straight please.
  20. moonman

moonman

Nobody would care or even spend the money to sue over the logo on a forum. But branding their game with the logo would be a problem. Say, the game is crap. It just sucks. And if the person has never played rockstar games, and this is their first time seeing that logo, as soon as they see the rockstar logo they are going to think "this game has a similar logo to the other game, it must be crap too". Then, it would look bad on Rockstar.
  21. Thomas96

Thomas96

Nobodys helping any! As I said , unless you're going to help, BUGGER OFF!
    I am going to change the name and logo soon...
  22. RoyS

RoyS

Sorry I can't help with the Blender Bones as I use 3DS Max, but this post is very good. http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=43550&highlight=blender bones (I started to learn Blender, but like Max interface better.)

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=23842&highlight=blender bones

Here are some other useful tools that you might want to consider for a GTA type game...

The Advanced Inventory System has both a clothing change and inventory as you mentioned clothing your character. http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=57849&highlight=inventory

This car system is pretty good. http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=56257&highlight=car automobile

I've purchased both of the above myself.
  23. oblivionfeet

oblivionfeet

That attitude isn't helping you any, why should people help someone as rude as you? You're basically coming across as some kid who plays a game too much, thinks he can make his own, stumbles through a couple of google searches, gets delusions of grandeur and then expects others to do all the work for him.

So far all you've done is use a model some app provides and imported it into Blender. You can't script, you've got no buildings or anything else, you basically want others to do all the work for you, you're insulting people, you act like you don't need help from "stupid tutorials", shown no interest in trying to learn any of it yourself, or study references or manuals.

So you want constructive criticism? Give up and do something easier until you've a better idea of what you're doing. You're never going to make this game with your current abilities and attitude, so save yourself the trouble and YOU bugger off until you've learned some manners.
  24. moonman

moonman

Second this.
  25. mehware

mehware

Is school back in session yet?
  26. moonman

moonman

haha, yeah. In case you haven't noticed less of me...

Anyhow, I will help you, pm me what you want made.