Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Grouped Images, Buttons ( GUI overall ) still broken in Unity 5.2.3p1.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnpine, Nov 28, 2015.

1. johnpine

johnpine

I am getting so frustrated about the new UI that I have to start a thread about it.
    Everything still broken since the introduction of the new UI.
    Still just a group of buttons are still not working properly. ( Sliders are also not working )

Here is the problem in short:
    Create an area with a Horizontal group of buttons and duplicate some buttons to it. And there you are, it's broken.

Take a look at the image, in explanation.

Step 1) The setup is like this, 4 buttons, the first white and some other colors. The simplest as it can get.
    Step 2) Press Play, try to hover over the other buttons, only the first button gets the hover colors of the other buttons.
    Step 3) Press Stop, and delete the first button, Press Play again, and suddenly the remaining buttons work
    Step 4) Press Stop, and Undo !!! And suddenly all the buttons work. Except. The colors are completely incorrect. Now the correct buttons are hilighting BUT the colors should be like in the Step 1.

So, All Images in hierarchies have incorrect color in currently in all version of Unity. If I save this level after Undo lots of files change in Library folder. The version controls shows the changes.
    Now if I save this scene and start again it will be like in the step 4, hover works but the colors are not what is set in the Image colors.
    When the Library folder is deleted ( like for a rebuild ) you are back to Step 1. So each time you have to wipe the Library folder you end up with a broken GUI, you have to manually delete stuff and then Undo to get it working and then its broken in other way.

So you have always two version of broken GUI, either its getting your input correctly, or the colors are actually not what you set. They are always little of. But most of the time you will have white colors for all Images and you don't notice it. But when the colors are broken they have very weird offset to the colors what you actually want.

I attached the scenes to produce these steps, and the scene after Undoing.

( If some Unity guy is reading, the lates bug report of this is 748342 )

PS: When the Unity can be used for releasing something ?

Attached Files:

2. Asyranok

Asyranok

3. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Don't get frustrated. You will get there.

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Why do you have your library under version control? Not sure if that's the problem, but this is the only thing you are doing different from standard in your post.

As pretty much noone else has the same sorts of problems, its probably something on your end.

5. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

You definitely should not include your Library folder in your source control system. Only the Assets and ProjectSettings folders should be in source control, and it's important to also make sure that you've got the .meta files that are next to each asset in the Assets folder as well. (They are hidden by default).

I downloaded your project and had a quick look... all four of your buttons had 'Target Graphic' set to the first (white) button's image, rather than their own image components, so that's why you were seeing hovers on the other buttons changing the first button's tint rather than their own. When you deleted the first button, the other buttons all then discovered it was 'missing' and so defaulted back to using their own graphics.

As for the weird colors, it's because you have 'Color Multiplier' set to >1 on the buttons.

Unfortunately I have no idea how you managed to get your scene into this state in the first place...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
    Kiwasi likes this.
  6. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

What @superpig said. Not sure how you are managing to do this. Everything points to that first button. If you duplicate in the hierarchy, it should update the references by default. It does if I duplicate one of the buttons in your project. Are you using some tool or editor extension?

What you are describing isn't a bug, it is caused by how you are doing it.

Kiwasi likes this.
  7. johnpine

johnpine

Of course I don't have Library in version control just when debugging to see whats happening.
    And the buttons were created by ctrl-d. In current Unity version looks like they will keep their Image refs correctly if I do it again. But this has happened so many times already when doing grid of buttons they will get broken.