Search Unity

Grass textures

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Deleted User, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, can anyone recommend software capable of making good tillable grass textures?

Edit: I'm really sorry its in the wrong section, some one move ot please

I had a few of the forum sections open in different tabs and got confused ;( sorry

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  2. mathias234

mathias234

BrandyStarbrite likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I mean making a tileable CG grass texture (via high poly sculpts/shaders...) and then baking it down to a depth, diffuse, and if possible, specular map.
    Price Does Not matter at all.

4. laurelhach

laurelhach

You should ask on a different forum if you want any help.. This is not the right forum to ask that kind of questions ..

5. twiesner

twiesner

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

will substance designer give me exact normal and depth maps? not just some old junk generated from the diffuse map, but from(or good as) actual geometry?

7. twiesner

twiesner

Substance designer is a very powerful texture tool. You can use both textures made from external programs like zbrush or photoshop or create your own procedural textures through the use of its filters. You can also load low poly models into it and use the models to help generate certain maps like curvatures and world normal maps.

Maybe I am misinterpreting what you are asking?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I am asking for software like Zbrush that can use actual real 3D geometric data to make normal and depth maps, but is particularly good for making top down grass textures (100's/1000's of grass blades)
    Do you mean to say substance designer can make my normal, depth, spec maps from zbrush all seamless?​

9. twiesner

twiesner

Yes, you can export your texture from zbrush and load them into substance designer and convert them to seamless textures and add or change any detail you may wish. It then generates updated information on any maps you desire and then you can export your map outputs with one click. You can also create some procedural based textures from scratch using the filter nodes in substance designer.

Watch some of the tutorial videos about substance designer for a better idea on how the software works. Maybe even check out the bitmap2material tool on the algorithmic site or DDO http://quixel.se/ if you have photoshop.

But to answer your original question about a good tiling software is a matter of preference. I know a lot of people may still go the old school way and use photoshop's offset and clone tools to make a texture tillable. There are some plugins out there that will convert a texture to seamless but does not guarantee it will be perfect.

For me, majority of the time I use the substance designer to give the textures I create in zbrush color and additional detail and ensure they will tile the way I want them to by viewing them in the 3d viewer. For photo based textures I just use bitmap2material and tweak the exports in photoshop.

BrandyStarbrite likes this.