Search Unity

Graphical stuff by JeyDia

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JeyDia, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TwiiK

TwiiK

The sheer amount of people asking Koola for tutorials whenever he posts anything leads me to believe your estimate of 50% engine and 50% artwork is way off. And calling it artwork is wrong, it's a lot more than that. It's skill or knowledge. He knows how to get the best out of all his tools, including Unreal Engine 4. Sure UE4 may have a lot to offer, but unless you know how to make use of it it doesn't matter. Honestly, I don't really understand what you're saying and I'm not sure you understand it yourself. And when you use values like "10000 times" it's hard to take you seriously.

I would really like to know what, in your opinion, makes Unreal Engine 4 so superior. I've tried both engines. I personally don't like the default look of UE4 and from my limited experience with the engine it's kind of hard to change. I prefer the clean slate you start with in Unity. And I believe you can do almost anything with any engine these days if you're skilled enough. Just look at what Sonic Ether is able to do with Minecraft or what people are able to do with Grand Theft Auto 4.

The fact that UE4 is, or at least started as, a AAA engine means you get a lot of AAA artists with extensive knowledge of it who like to fiddle around with it in their spare time. This plays a large part in why there's so many nice looking UE4 scenes everywhere compared to Unity.

In my opinion Ori and the blind forest is one of the best looking games ever. Angry Birds 2 and Monument Valley are two of the best looking mobile games. And all three games are made with Unity. Unity is very capable in the right hands just like UE4 is.

And lastly I feel like a lot of people have a very skewed opinion of digital photorealism. To get a properly realistic scene you could almost get away without using post processing. Light flares, heavy depth of field, overly reflective surfaces etc. etc. are things I personally don't see very often in real life unless I actively try to produce them. We're exposed to UE4's version of photorealism everywhere we look so it's no wonder people get influenced by it. Even the CGI in movies these days is less photorealistic than what it used to be because everything has to somehow surpass what came before it.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes I get it, you love Unity.. You want to defend it to the hilt and take it away in a horse drawn cabin to live happily ever after. How is "artwork" and "engine" use not knowledge? You have to know how to use it that's pretty much a given. Koola even said it's about lighting and composition, but personally I've seen much better works than Koola's stuff in UE. Examples with breakdowns (in some cases):

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?74605-External-Archviz-Landscape-and-foliage-studies
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?751-Archviz-Project

What's Ori and the Blind forest got to do with 3D rendering? Do you even understand what you're talking about? Ori is pretty much an interactive 2D digital painting, it could been done in anything.

Anyone with any clue knows it's mainly about lighting / shadows and composition (colour balance), manipulating them are key factors in realism it just so happens the shadows, midtones, highlights / crushes etc. (Gamma offset, Contrast balance, tints, correction using opposing colours) are done as post. Things like SSR and AO are just slight enhancements, I'm not talking DOF or any rubbish like lens flare here and that should be obvious.

Firstly I don't believe you understand a pipeline process from end to end, or you wouldn't be disagreeing with me you'd be discussing it:

Here's a rough outline including post:

It's not exactly rocket science chief..! After that it's not so easy to take you seriously either.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
    JeyDia likes this.
  3. macdude2

macdude2

@JeyDia – sorry for derailing this thread, I thought I could get an answer without things getting wrapped up in a UE4 based argument. Your work really does look great though! Have you considered doing an outdoor archviz with GI? I feel you could do a lot with such a scene!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    JeyDia and pcg like this.
  4. JeyDia

JeyDia

No problems, I like debates annd Yes it's a good idea I will try to get some time for that

5. JeyDia

JeyDia

New interior scene in WIP using UBER Shader

06.jpg 01.jpg 14.jpg

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  6. NikProductions

NikProductions

For the reflections, are you using just reflection probes? Or you mix it with SSR?

JeyDia likes this.
  7. JeyDia

JeyDia

its mixed

8. NikProductions

NikProductions

For antialiasing what do you use? And have you considered using SMAA?

9. khos85

khos85

Your work is amazing! I wondered if you would be willing to share just a bit of info, such as which image effects you use to get the wonderful end result. I'd like to try emulate but cannot see how :) no worries if not, I'll understand.

JeyDia likes this.
  10. JeyDia

JeyDia

look at the plugin "scion filmic post processing" by @Aieth

Aieth likes this.
  11. khos85

khos85

Ok many thanks, will take a look.

JeyDia likes this.
  12. JeyDia

JeyDia

New Archviz actually in WIP

Grab 1920x1080 Friday Oct 02 2015 18_52_19.jpg Grab 1920x1080 Friday Oct 02 2015 19_01_15.jpg

13. one_one

one_one

Promising start. The bricks are a bit too smooth and it seems like the tiling repetition is a bit too obvious in the second shot. Good job on the lacquered wood, but it's almost impossible to get the look of that down with the standard shader only. As far as lighting is concerned, the spotlights kind of seem to be drowned out a bit, not sure if that's intentional.

14. Detniess

Detniess

Hi, @JeyDia

I really like your work and have been following your posts for a while. It's really nice to see the progress you're making, it's also keeping me motivated in trying to achieve similar results.. I have some questions if you're willing to answer them?

- In the latest WIP, how is the windowlight done. Is it from outside/directional or du you use emissive materials?

- What assets are you currently using? Uber? Scion? Anything else I should try out?

- And could you please show some more pictures/movies from the previous café scene?

Thanks and keep on updating please!

JeyDia likes this.
  15. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

This guy is very obviously a witch.

Keep doing your witch things man.

manpower13 and JeyDia like this.
  16. JeyDia

JeyDia

New Work done in 24h textured with QUIXEL Suite and rendered via UBER shader in Unity5, for the post process I used Scion - Filmic Post Processing, I will post the video tomorow

Grab 1920x1080 Wednesday Oct 07 2015 22_47_09.jpg Grab 1920x1080 Wednesday Oct 07 2015 22_44_48.jpg

17. JeyDia

JeyDia

18. RiokuTheSlayer

RiokuTheSlayer

The wizard has struck again.

JeyDia likes this.
  19. JeyDia

JeyDia

Hi everybody

Check out my last Archviz scene rendered in Realtime. I used
    • UBER - Standard Shader Ultra by @tomaszek for his POM, translucy, double sided and refraction on glass and gloss ranging
    • Scion - Filmic post processing by @Aieth
    • And the plugins from @Chman like Lutify and SSAO Pro

The spot lights have been baked except the Directional light wich is in Realtime to have this natural look on the materials.

More screen here : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/archviz-the-loft-by-jeydia.360294/

Grab 1920x1080 Friday Oct 09 2015 15_19_56.jpg
    Grab 1920x1080 Friday Oct 09 2015 15_22_28.jpg
    Grab 1920x1080 Friday Oct 09 2015 15_21_48.jpg

Detniess likes this.
  20. O_and_N

O_and_N

Was curious what is your cpu model, render times and framerate.
    The only critic from me is that the main concrete texture on the walls looks a litle blurry. And maybe add to it some overlayed micro bump normal map for small details.

21. Detniess

Detniess

Wow this looks really good, especially the light. However in the video there was some weird flickering in various object, could this be fixed with a better AA solution?

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Now were cooking on gas, devil's in the detail though.. Firstly offset the lighting colour ever so slightly (I mean a fraction) to add a tiny bit of colour.

Shaders seem to lack a bit of definition a bump offset increase would be a good idea especially on the brick wall that looks kind of flat, also it seems like the AO could be a lift stronger again for further definition. Some of the more intricate (smaller) meshes like the extended rectangular pieces are looking rather blocky (slightly aliased). Consider adding a touch more motion blur / blur to filter it out..

Also I'd crush the shadows down a bit and balance the contrast slightly, it'll be from the post but there's a bit of washout going on.

For a game it'd be amazing, as an arch viz piece it could do with a little bit of polish but it's 99% there.

theANMATOR2b and JeyDia like this.
  23. GameTechnix

GameTechnix

Love your Archviz work there. I wonder if the days of rendering in V-ray/Corona are numbered?
    A high-res shot from that almost looks as good. Maybe with a few image effect filters like lancoz or catmull-rom Unity could be a decent rendering tool or a good solution for pre-rendered video.

24. JeyDia

JeyDia

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  25. JeyDia

JeyDia

Little test with my last 3D work.
    You can do so much things with ColorfulFX :eek:

26. JeyDia

JeyDia

Tryin Substance Designer and Speedtree

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks awesome, did you use Scion on the last one?

JeyDia likes this.
  28. JeyDia

JeyDia

Yep I'm using Scion

GAMERFLEXTV and RavenOfCode like this.
  29. rebit

rebit

30. TwiiK

TwiiK

Looks great.

Two small nitpicks that detract a bit from the experience, but should be easy to fix, in my opinion:
    1. There's quite a few grass/ferns on the left that are clipping into the ground. Should be easy enough to fix by just watching the animation play a few times and reorienting those that clip into the ground. Fixing this gives you the most bang for your buck in terms of achieving realism in my opinion. Nothing is as unrealistic as geometry clipping. :p
    2. Around the 30 second mark of the video there's one or two bushes that pop on the left. I'm guessing these are LOD stages or something? Shouldn't be a need for those in such a small scene. Either way, it's another small jarring thing that should be easy enough to avoid if you watch out for it.

theANMATOR2b and RavenOfCode like this.
  31. JeyDia

JeyDia

Yes I know Don't worry it was just a test I'm working on a bigger scene now with this substance and you don't gonna see those things

32. JeyDia

JeyDia

Those pics are my principal Ref, taken from a Witcher 3 Tavern

David-Berger and RavenOfCode like this.
  33. JeyDia

JeyDia

Made the assets with Quixel2.0, you should try it if you are not too much familiare with the High converted Low poly thing like me, it's very easy to use

screen01.jpg screen02.jpg

Fab4, rebit and RavenOfCode like this.
  34. GAMERFLEXTV

GAMERFLEXTV

wow...cool stuff

JeyDia likes this.
  35. JeyDia

JeyDia

36. zelmund

zelmund

realy nice1
    did you tried it with animated characters in tavern? would be cool =)

37. JeyDia

JeyDia

Thanks and I don't have the skill for the moment.

You can download the demo of the Tavern here in my portfolio

http://www.jerycedia.com/#!the-tavern/da8i4

Shodan0101 likes this.
  38. JeyDia

JeyDia

My recent test with emissive Lights

Edit : Video

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    RavenOfCode and DMeville like this.
  39. JeyDia

JeyDia

Another test with Dynamic Sun/moon with Usky 2.0