Search Unity

Google Maps in Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bahamut Games, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Bahamut Games

Bahamut Games

I know this has been asked a lot but i need an updated solution, i need to know if the latest unity (maybe unity 5) supports a way to load the google maps api inside a texture (for example executing html5 and javascript inside a unity scene).

I have seen some plugins for maps, but almost all the plugins are for "static maps" and i want to use dinamic maps. Also the only plugin that seems to have a more "dynamic" style (mapnav) is strange, it uses mapquest and the GUI is not the same oen that google maps has (zoom options, speed, stability, etc.)

Is there a way to implement the "real Google Maps API" into a unity 2D plane?
    I would be very dissapointed if a AAA game engine that is used for lots of mobile games can't do this...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    ERC_Unity_2d likes this.
  2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

For me it looks like there two way to go.
    1. Get an web view plugin that can draw the Google maps custom page onto a plane and interact with it like a web page.
    2. Build a script or plugin yourself for loading and handling the interaction yourself.

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Well, Unity cannot access the Google Maps API. You can, of course, use the WWW class to make requests to the Google servers. I can't think of any AAA games that use Google Maps, so it's probably not a feature that gets many requests.

4. Bahamut Games

Bahamut Games

Yeah... im sorry, it may not be a AAA feature but i know lots of mobile games that use a webview to show things like help pages and stuff, these kind of games link a "FAQ" section, for example,, to their web page, and can open it inside the game, without linking the webpage outside of the game.

In this case i assume i would need a web view plugin, do you know of a good one?
    Doesn't unity has it's own web view??

THanks

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

No, there is no HTML renderer built into Unity.

6. unbeat

unbeat

plz share any tutorial 0n google map integration in unity 3d...

scytalevsbijaz likes this.
  7. scytalevsbijaz

scytalevsbijaz

can someone please share a tutorial on google maps for 2 games?

8. tarasfromlviv

tarasfromlviv

My plugin Google Maps View does exactly this: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/integration/google-maps-view-82542

Works on Android and on iOS. It is a native view so the performance is great. The only limitation is that you can't display Unity scene objects on top of it. Can't be displayed on 3D objects either as it's a native view on top of Unity game but should cover most of general use cases.