Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Daydream support?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JDMulti, May 19, 2016.

1. JDMulti

JDMulti

Today I saw the Google Daydream announcement and I was wondering if Unity is going to support this new platform? The reason why I ask this, is that even up to date unity has no native cardboard integration yet.

Is this a feature to be announced next Unite Europe, or is this something at which none has looked yet?
    To be honest, I think Google Daydream is a good addition to Unity. Also it can't stay behind after seeing this announcement:

http://vrscout.com/news/epic-games-goes-unreal-engine-4-support-google-daydream/

2. JDMulti

JDMulti

While posting the above, I saw that 2 hours ago there was some news. However I can't find the video but I saw John Riccitello talking on Google I/O. However there is an SDK, still I don't know about how future plans are for native support.

It might be that because Daydream is here now, this is the reason why Cardboard is not native yet, as everything is constantly changing.

Found some updated urls: https://developers.google.com/vr/

3. elbows

elbows

The video is here:

About the 26 minute mark for the start of John & the Unity bit.

As for native support, think that got a mention earlier in the video - plugin now and then native support in a bit.

4. PythonDK

PythonDK

5. JDMulti

JDMulti

Good to see that Unity will support Daydream. However in the video the only thing said is: "Support" and the word "Native" is combines with "may" as in maybe. So it could be that native will be somewhere in long terms. But at least there is support.

6. elbows

elbows

Given that proper hardware wont be available till the autumn, and that Vulkan is an important part of Daydream that Unity need to do plenty of work on, I dont think they need to rush the native plugin part. All these different parts will come together over time.