Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Google Analytics for Asset Store. How do you set it up?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jerotas, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jerotas

jerotas

Question in title. I became aware today that the Info tab in Publisher settings allows you to set up Google Analytics for your Plugin page (I think). When did this happen? How do I set it up? I believe this helps in determining where your traffic comes from?

Thanks!
    -Brian

2. subho0406

subho0406

create a new Google analytics account a paste the tracking code in info tab

Musiu-Bar likes this.
  3. jerotas

jerotas

That's all there is to it? Then check on Google analytics for hit?

4. subho0406

subho0406

yes leave the other field blank all changes will come after 2 hours

5. jerotas

jerotas

Awesome, thank you! I have data showing up now.

6. LouahZA

LouahZA

Sorry, I am not finding much info on this... Is this to see how many people are viewing your assets you have on the store?

Google Analytics (Changes will be fully active within 2 hours)
    Tracking ID:

UA-########-#
    Location Prefix:

Default prefix: /assetstore

I see these fields. can you explain a bit more on how to set it up. do you use the asset link to setup google account so u will need one for each asset you have on the store?

7. jerotas

jerotas

You only need to set it up for your account. It will automatically track all assets. Yes, this is to see how many people are viewing your assets. Unfortunately it tracks robot hits (there are a lot) and not just real users. Also there appears to be no way to know how many conversions you got or how many people clicked add to cart even, so it's utterly pointless right now to do any ad campaigns because you can't measure the difference in sales unfortunately.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I asked this question elsewhere and got no reply.

8. Rosie-Posie

Rosie-Posie

Hello Jerotas, I seam to be getting no conversion info whats so ever my self. I really wish Unity would find the time to implement it so that we can optimist our assets and promotional efforts! know of any way we could maybe effectively let them know? I know we aren't the only ones facing this issue and it would make the Asset Store more profitable for everyone!

9. jerotas

jerotas

Yeah, I don't know if they have further plans or what...

10. andrewpeter

andrewpeter

Hi, what is the url you fill in when you set up the property in Google Analytics?
    Thanks.

11. ayyappa

ayyappa

What URL we need to setup in Google Analytics?
    Is it just assetstore.unity3d.com or link to the company profile page? Anyone can help on this?

12. Adventure-Forge-Studio

Adventure-Forge-Studio

It seems to work by just entering assetstore.unity3d.com as the URL.

13. ANTARES_XXI

ANTARES_XXI

14. flapyfox

flapyfox

What can one do if he wants to track not one unique asset but multiple assets? seems impossible to do so?

15. flapyfox

flapyfox

16. MarkD

MarkD

I would also like to know how i could track multpiple Assets.

At the moment you create a property in google analytics with the short link of a selected asset. This will get you a tracking code for that asset, and you have to add that tracking code on your publisher account.
    However there is only room for 1 tracking code. How would one add multiple tracking codes? Or alternatively track your whole Asset list?

arkano22 likes this.
  17. jerotas

jerotas

If you see my comments above, this is really not worth setting up because it doesn't give the info you need (conversion statistics and non-robot hits only). Kind of a waste of time until those 2 things exist.

18. MarkD

MarkD

I read your post,

But it would still be a good thing to know the average visiting time of each asset. It is a good way to gauge interest and/or if you need to make changes in description, visuals, etc...

At the moment I have it working on only 1 Asset, as Unity only allows 1 tracking code at a time.

19. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

did anyone ever figure this out? I also want to track multiple assets and the manual does not explain this

20. MarkD

MarkD

I have hooked my analytics up and it is not possible in any way to track specific packages. Once you set an analitics code in unity, all the info about your pages are routed to your Analitics page, so if you see a graph of each visitor, it will be a graph of all your product pages combined.

However, in the detail pages, you can find from which link what user came. So you can sort of track down which packages are popular and what sources and countries are making most use of your products.

So in short, it is very tedious to do precise tracking and sometimes not even possible to do it asset specific.
    But very usefull for general information and source track information.

For instance: In my analitics page I can see where most of my customers/visitors visit from, how many of them are male or female, etc...

This is all very useful and in my opinion worth hooking up Analitics to your store account.

I have attached some examples of my own store page tracking code below:
    6d60946da981da763f0e7d75f2d59671.png 583f588d1eec17891a0eb3abe5bbad32.png 616a1fec897b2a749ff7c650558ffcd0.png

21. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

hmm that kinda sucks. Which address did you put in analytics to get that info?

22. MarkD

MarkD

I took one of my most downloaded assets (Alzheimer LightShafts). At the time i set this up, I thought that would give me the info from that page. However after a few weeks it became clear that setting up the info of one Asset, gives you the info of all your Assets.

I do not know whether or not this is a bug on Unity's side. It would be sweet if Unity made it possible to add multiple tracking codes, for multiple assets and not just send one bulk of unsorted data.

edit:
    It is also very weird that Unity only allows the tracking of one asset on your store info setup (yet sends all the data of every asset).

23. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

Maybe if all the info is there you can filer it analytics side?

24. MarkD

MarkD

That was my point few posts ago, to a degree you can trace from which link what data came and such find out which package. I am still very new to that aspect, so there might be better methods.

25. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

Sorry i just skim read it!
    I'm also new to it, but i assume you would need to know some information about how the site is structured.
    I have a few contacts at unity, i'll see if I can find anything out.

26. E2R_Ben

E2R_Ben

I kinda figured it out. I put just one of my assets URLs into analytics and hooked it up to the unity publisher admin and it did show all the information for all the products I have created.
    I also found that when the /assetstore/payment/completed page is visited, it correlates with one sale I had on the same date sales.JPG
    I tried to convert this to a goal, but it didn't register.
    Basically my idea was if they visit an asset page, then reach the "/assetstore/payment/completed" that would be one sale of that asset. Anyone know how to set this up?
    That aside, the data is there, its just a case of working out how to use it.

Big-Bang-Studio likes this.
  27. MarkD

MarkD

Great find!! See thinking together works haha!

This thread should become a sticky, as I imagine allot of people want to setup Analitics properly.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
  28. MarkD

MarkD

I found a very useful site that does a good job for per asset analitics than the current analtics method: http://unitybuzz.com/stats/

You can search per asset or per company and get detailed information on popularity, ratings, etc.. and it even presents you with useful graphs.

dentedpixel likes this.
  29. Big-Bang-Studio

Big-Bang-Studio

Ben, how did you actually find the "payment/complete" metric? I have been looking through my Analytics and so far i have only found landing pages (3 packages and my publisher page). But i have sold assets this month!

30. stephero

stephero

Hi guys,

I wanted to dig this topic up since I found the data I received on my Google Analytics account not accurate at all.
    In order to get the number of sales, I track each time someone lands on the page "/payment/completed".

For example, for this month:
    - According to my GA account, 66 persons have landed on /payment/completed
    - According to my AssetStore dashboard, I made 103 sales.

So roughly, only 60% of my sales are visible on my GA...

Do you have the same accuracy issues? Are there better ways to get more accurate results?
    Thanks

31. LiquidFireInc

LiquidFireInc

Hey everyone,

My searches for the past hour basically show this thread as the most informative one. Has anyone figured out if we can track separate asset packages under one account? I'm just integrating Google Analytics and I was hoping to set up correctly from the get go. Or any sort of new info on this topic is greatly appreciated!

32. Swift-Games

Swift-Games

Solved///// - i should not add any text in prefix part)

Having connected analytics and having waited a couple of days, I collected strange data.
    It looked like there were 11 page visits with a prefix
    "/ assetstore / payment / complete"

but none of them appeared in sales reports.
    - there was no sale and the user fell off at the payment stage?
    - or is "/ assetstore / payment / complete" the wrong page to track for sale?

upload_2020-5-7_13-19-47.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  33. stephero

stephero

That's strange.
    On my side it only shows pages like "/payment/completed". I don't have any pages "/payment/completed/package/XXX" like you.
    And if I count the pageviews of the page "/payment/completed", it gives me roughly the amount of sales I have on the publisher dashboard, usually a bit less.

34. Swift-Games

Swift-Games

@stephero Do you have a time divergence, or do sales appear in sync with analytics statistics?

There was "assetstore/payment/completed" in the Location Prefix so maybe it gives the package name
    Now ill try "/payment/completed"

but the weird thing - there is no sales at all in the dashboard
    but the Analytics gives those "payment/complete"

people any solutions about what im doing wrong?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  35. stephero

stephero

There is a time offset, something like a couple hours, between the event visible through GA and the sales registered on the publisher dashboard.

If I were you I would contact Unity because there is definitely something weird.

36. Swift-Games

Swift-Games

it seems like this is the only way. or not... )

Last edited: May 12, 2020
  37. Swift-Games

Swift-Games

It looks like I found out what’s wrong, the prefix field in the info should be left blank as this index is only added to all pages in the statistics. upload_2020-5-11_14-4-19.png

38. Swift-Games

Swift-Games

Well, after such changes in statistics, all is correct a packages pages visits is displayed.
    later...
    I asked one friend to buy 1 asset, the sale was displayed on the desktop of the asset, but there is no payment/completed pages in Google analytics.

later +1 more sale
    but 0 p/c pages in GA
    :(

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  39. fivefingergames

fivefingergames

Note that some users may use adblockers or similar plugins which blocks google analytics from gathering data.

40. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Tracking Ids don't look like UA anymore. Mine looks like this and It is rejected.
    G-XXXXXXXXXX

April_OAS likes this.
  41. JanviArora

JanviArora

A tracking ID is a parameter that is used to track the different metrics of the website.
    On the current date tracking ID looks like UA-XXXXXX-X.

The tracking ID must be included in the tracking code to inform analytics, which account needs to be considered.
    With the help of Google Web Analytics services, it becomes very easy to track, view, and monitor real-time data.

42. privatecontractor

privatecontractor

@Darkgaze did you manage to set this up with this G-XXXXXXXXXX new format of tracker?