Search Unity

Good step-by-step tutorials?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by vincentellis, Mar 27, 2015.

1. vincentellis

vincentellis

I prefer to learn with a goal on my head: a final project, a clear objective ahead. It's easy to stay motivated like this. That's why i'm creating this topic to learn more about the available step-by-step projects for learning Unity. The official ones are very good, but do you guys know any others? With modern codebases/practices?

2. DalerHakimov

DalerHakimov

The official ones are good, you can't find any better. I've seen almost all tutorials from Digital tutors, 3dbuzz, lynda, all kind of books and etc etc. None of them was better then the official ones, they were at the same level or even worse. The non official ones, has better graphics, for example Digital tutors, but the end result will be the same.

You can not find the tutorial which will take from step1 to final step. I mean, multi level, UI, game mechanics.. They show only part of it.

I would recommend you to check the Live Training archive, they have there few complete games also.

P.S Official tutorials have a person attached to it. So, whenever you stuck somewhere or you wanted to do some changes and updates, there will be a professional answering to your questions. They are respectable persons of Unity Community (Adam Buckner, Matthew Schell, and others), so you can be sure that you will have a 100% progress.

vincentellis likes this.
  3. Socrates

Socrates

If you are willing to spend some money and want a more detailed tutorial, the two Sue Blackman books seem to be well regarded. Both walk through an entire project. Source code and scenes can be downloaded. You may even be able to find them at the library.

They are Unity 4, of course.

Unity for Absolute Beginners
    Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4, 2nd Edition

There are threads for both of these books somewhere on the forum where Ms. Blackman was answering questions of people who had issues working their way through the books.

vincentellis likes this.