Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Good, new UNITY 5 prepaid upgrade But... I'm really confused

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by BBRome, Feb 5, 2015.

1. BBRome

BBRome

Well, I paid UNITY 5 prepaid upgrade last summer(August).

At the moment UNITY 5(open beta 7 months later) is very unstable, practically you can not use it.

The solution open beta prepaid system, it is certainly useful for UNITY, but I have lost hundreds of hours working on with no return.

The question is:

Is a right solution this kind of behaviour towards UNITY customers?

- MAC User(may be WIN users have different situation).

- The worst thing is that each new upgrade does not maintain the previous, is really devastating…

- I’m quite sure that many of us have 3/4 version installed!!! + UNITY 4.6.xx

- I’m in this business at least 20 years never felt so confused

2. carking1996

carking1996

What are you talking about? If you switch, it's your problem, not theirs. This is a beta for a reason, use it at your own risk.

3. Guile_R

Guile_R

Gonna install 22 today. I am fine with the beta as it is, I am enjoying it, our game looks much better with GI and PBR. Yes it is a pain sometimes, some features/assets may work in one version and be broken on another but so far no big issues on my end.

4. BBRome

BBRome

Ok that's ok but what about 7 months prepaid software still in beta?
    What they mean 22 open beta releases, maybe good for big company, they put one/two resources working on
    So the solution is leave it till is released?

5. carking1996

carking1996

Or just use the latest non-beta version(4.6.2). They are a big company and they're focusing all their resources on 4.6 and 5.

6. gridside

gridside

I've upgraded my 2 years old, 50+GB project to Unity 5 Beta. Yes i had some problems on porting but now it's run much more faster and capable. My only problem is on lightmapped terrain shader. But for 7 months; i think you are right. They are taking it slow. I don't know what cause this but i think that the progress on beta must be a bit faster.

7. BBRome

BBRome

Ok forget, you are very naive guys
    Probably would not have caught the issue

8. Onsterion

Onsterion

It's Beta, and this forum section (Unity 5 Pre-order Beta) it's for all the people help the unity staff to fix errors and improve Unity 5.

9. BBRome

BBRome

+1

10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a beta... That's normal.

If you are under production right now, you'd better use 4.6.

11. Ostwind

Ostwind

12. netvortex_dc

netvortex_dc

Have a 25 GB Project and i rather eat dog poo before returning to Unity 4. All those crashes because of the 32 Bit Editor, the awfull performance on physics, no built-in PBR, bad NavMesh... I'm so happy with Unity 5 and personally i think it's more stable than Unity 4... they are working on the engine still so issues coming up are normal... But all issues i'm having i prefer than actually going back to U4...

13. BBRome

BBRome

Surely I know what to do(I published one game using U5 beta 18 going well on market, and for big project U4) but this is not the problem.

Again guys, probably would not have caught the issue

14. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

To be honest, the people complaining about this beta drive me a little nuts. Its a beta it's going to have bugs. If you don't want the bugs then don't use the beta. I am loving U5 and in particular what you can do with SpeedTree and Unity :)

15. melkior

melkior

Unity 5 and beta has been fairly stable for me. I did have a few builds around 18/19 that would have editor crashes but those are gone now.

I'm probably not using all the same features you are but the PBR workflow is really helping my project and I have no blockers at all at this time.

I also appreciate the fairly rapid pace of improvements and ability to give/get feedback from the dev's in the forum ; which is really the most important piece of the beta to me.

I'm not discounting the issues you've had; but I would echo some others sentiments that if Beta isn't stable enough for your production needs: why are you using it?