Search Unity

Good idea to use vector images?

Discussion in '2D' started by PelvisParsley, Aug 18, 2016.

1. PelvisParsley

PelvisParsley

I was thinking about using vector images for texturing in my android project because I want the graphics to look sharp and crisp on all devices. My main issue with it is that I dont want to use additional addons (eg svgimporter) so that my project size doesnt increase. Can vectors be rasterized to a similar high quality without a big performance hit? How should I go about this.

2. PeaceLaced

PeaceLaced

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I think your rationale for not using svgimporter doesn't make sense. If you rasterize your SVG graphics, the resulting app will grow MUCH bigger than it would from just adding a package like svgimporter. Code is tiny; pixels (and audio) are huge.

PeaceLaced likes this.
  4. Dai-22

Dai-22

I found this post and thought I would continue it, rather than post a new one.... I was wondering if vector images should be used for all game art etc, if I would like to make a game for mobile/PC/tablet etc, rather than just a single size format?

Could I get decent graphical outcomes only using vector imaging etc, like a portal 2 quality etc? or is it just not possible without full rendering of shaded images etc?

Thanks for reading.

5. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Portal 2 is a 3D game. I don't see what raster vs. vector graphics has to do with that at all. If you were talking about a 2D game, your question would make sense.

6. Dai-22

Dai-22

Doesn't the image zoom of a large screen from a small screen have to have vector images? to not blur.
    Doesn't this apply to textures on 3d objects? so nothing blurs and I don't have to make basically 3 games for 3 platforms etc?

Have no idea, was asking if this was useful for this sort of thing before I create lots of images etc...?

7. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

No. Textures are always rasterized (unless you're making a fancy procedural texture via a custom shader). And 3D geometry is inherently vector. And as for texture resolution, you don't make 3 games for 3 platforms; you just adjust the texture import settings (using the per-platform overrides as needed).