Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GL-Lines are too thick

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Arcus, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Arcus

Arcus

Hi,

i want to draw some lines in my project. I usually used the LineRenderer but it has some wired problems with 90° edges ... you maybe know them ... However, this is not my problem.
    I want to use GL-Line because i want line with exactly 1px thickness no matter how far the camera is away.

I think this has something to do with the antialiasing but even when i turn it off the lines are as thick as before.

Is there any way to draw smaller lines?
    I attached a demo project below.

gl_line_house.png

Attached Files:

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Not sure what's going on there, but you might investigate Vectrosity. I'm using it in High Frontier to draw orbit lines and a few other things, and it's working great.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like the thick line issue is probably just thin quads. I would ask Eric (author of vectrosity) what he thinks first. I don't know if vectrosity would solve this but it's so good it deserves to be in your toolbox anyway.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You can use <1 pixel values for line widths in Vectrosity (such as 0.5). However you wouldn't be able to get pixel-perfect 1-pixel non-AA lines like that. I doubt that can be done with geometry (at least not efficiently); pretty much the only way I can think of would be with screen-sized textures, e.g. http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=TextureDrawLine.

--Eric

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just wanted to say (off topic) that I enjoyed the ted talk! and the game looks very cool indeed.

JoeStrout likes this.
  6. Arcus

Arcus

Thanks for your responses.
    @Eric5h5 The texture-draw is a good idea, but it looks very slow on 1920x1080. And i also want to use the depth test in the scene.
    For now i will keep using the GL lines. I'll try to modify the shader to get a better result.