Search Unity

Gimp

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by J Dog Hombrey, Sep 14, 2008.

1. J Dog Hombrey

J Dog Hombrey

Hi

Like I'm sure a lot of other people do, I use Gimp for image manipulation. It is probably the most powerful free image program, and for people that can't afford or don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on photoshop, it's a lifesaver.

Now to my point. It would be great if Unity could import xcf (Gimp's native format) with layers like it can with photoshop. That would help speed up the import process, and enable me to conserve layer data.

Please consider making a Gimp importer because it will help a lot of people.

Thanks

Jeff

2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yup, I use GIMP 90% of the time also. You know that GIMP imports/exports .PSD files also, right? You loose your text info (converts text to a graphic layer) but otherwise transparency and layers are preserved. I usually keep two files in my assets folder, one .XCF that I use as a "working copy" and Unity ignores and the other as a .PNG or .PSD that Unity imports and uses.

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Unfortunately XFC is notorious to be a format that's hard or impossible to support.

Per GIMP's own developers: "do not use XCF as a data interchange format since the format reflects the GIMP's internal data structures, and there may be minor format changes in future versions".

So use either the TIFF or PSD formats, and you should be fine.

d.

4. J Dog Hombrey

J Dog Hombrey

That's a bit of a shame. Ahh well, the psd export will allow me to use layers, that's the main thing I wanted. Thanks for the replies.

5. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

A tad off topic, but useful in the light of the topic title. I use GIMP.app's native experimental release. It's supposed to be less stable than standard Gimp for OS X, but if you (like me) don't care much for X11 apps, this is a really nice release. Haven't had any stability issues after a few months of use.

GIMP.app: http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

6. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Thanks Ant!

EDIT: Bummers, won't run on my iMac with 10.4.11 :(

7. podperson

podperson

Thank you Ant.