Gimp and Terrain RAW heightmaps

Discussion in 'External Tools' started by llde_chris, Oct 6, 2009.

1. llde_chris

llde_chris

Hi,

When you export a heightmap from the terrain, it appears as a RAW file.

We know how to import the file via Photoshop, however not everyone here has photoshop, and some of the programmers like Gimp. How do we import the RAW file using Gimp? We can't seem to find the correct settings. :cry:
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm running Gimp 2.6.6 and it appears it should open and save a .raw file just fine. I don't have any files here to test it, but it should work. What problem are you having? Have you tried posting on the Gimp user's forum?

Edit: Apparently Gimp uses the Ufraw plugin for this. It looks like the plugin comes with the standard Gimp package (at least it looks that way on my installation) so you shouldn't need to install anything. Here's the Ufraw website which might help:
    http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
  3. pitibonom

pitibonom

nope. ufraw simply cant load unity terrain raw images :(
  4. wccrawford

wccrawford

You just resurrected a post over 2 years old.
  5. jake-gr

jake-gr

<rant> Why is resurrecting an old post so shunned upon?...
    Its over 2 years old... the situation is still valid (i too cant load terrains in gimp)...
    Also it shows that someone actually used the SEARCH feature before posting a new thread. So later if someone searches they wont be seeing 50+ posts on the same topic. </rant>

is there by chance an alternative to ufraw that can be used to load terrain maps in gimp? (it works to load .raw from my camera, just unity terrain it wont open)
  6. KR1982

KR1982

7. Bering

Bering

Thanks, I had found this same link and tried changing the file extension to .raw but the key really is to click on the "Select File Type" option at the very bottom indeed.
  8. pietersmobile

pietersmobile