Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

GI - Application.LoadLevelAdditive

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by topofsteel, Feb 28, 2015.

1. topofsteel

topofsteel

I was experimenting with pulling my game together the way I did in 4.x. GI does not work on load scenes and it breaks the GI in the scene thats loading also. A thread below is talking about GI and asset bundles. I develop for standalone, so I have never needed to use asset bundles. I looked into it and one of the parameters is TargetBuild. Can I load levels additively using asset bundles preserving the GI? Are there other advantages to using AssetBundles while developing for standalone if I'm not streaming from an online source/server? Thanks.

one_one likes this.
  2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

In order to use LoadLevelAdditive or LoadLevel with baked data in the editor you need to use non-continous mode and build the data. Continous mode in the editor only applies to the currently loaded scene in the editor.

3. topofsteel

topofsteel

I disable continuous as soon as I create a new scene. When I began exploring the Unity5 beta, I wanted a little more control. And it doesn't actually start doing anything until you save the scene and set your geometry as static. (Completely obvious now, I know).

Anyway, thats the case, both scenes are manually baked. Well to be clear, they are Built. I have baked data off and i'm only using Precomputed Realtime GI. Is that the problem? I suppose I should have mentioned my settings. Each scene is set up and Build and works fine at runtime independently. The geometry that is in the scene that gets loaded has no GI and does not respond to the global illumination settings. The geometry that in in the main screen doing the loading responsive, but it's all off, it has been moved or somthing.

I have not used the Baked GI yet. Initially it didn't work and I was getting great results from the realtime GI. I have been meaning to ask about a mixed workflow. In Unity4 I was doing a lot of loading and unloading of scenes to preserve the lightmap index. If this is possible, i'm sure i'll have to manage it somehow.

How can I set this up? Thanks.

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Additive loading of enlighten data is not supported in 5.0.

We support additive loading of baked lightmaps like in 4.x.
    And we are working on multi-level bake functionality in order to additively load precomputed realtimeGI data, we want to ship that in 5.x as soon as it is completed.