Search Unity

GI and Additive Scene Loading

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by djweinbaum, Dec 21, 2014.

1. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

In the GI blog post it says loading scenes with baked GI additively should be possible in 5.0. Has anyone been doing this with the recent betas? If I make one giant scene and bake everything, then divide that super scene into smaller scenes and load those scenes with LoadLevelAdditiveAsync at runtime, will all that baked information come in correctly and respond to the lights in the scene?

If anyone has any insight into this I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. AustinRichards

AustinRichards

I believe it might, but if you move anything that's loaded additively it may not work correctly.

3. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Is that like a beta bug or is that going to be a limitation in 5.0?

4. kite3h

kite3h

I Think Limitation of this version.

http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/global-illumination-in-unity-5/

Last of this article , In Q/A "Q: Can I create game world fully procedurally, Minecraft style?
    A: Short answer, no. However, we are doing multiple projects with Imagination Technologies using their PowerVR Ray Tracing technology for GI previews and hybrid rendering. This could potentially yield a solution to procedural or user generated scenes. The PowerVR Ray Tracing technology supports interactive GI for fully dynamic scenes. It is not yet fully real-time and the first few frames will have visible noise as the solution converges, but it is a very promising direction. It will certainly be able to light user generated scenes assuming some delay is acceptable. (There is no ETA for this as it is still an R&D project.)"

May be the prepare another GI option.

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

It should work in 5.0 but there is currently an issue preventing this (case number 659042). We are working on it.

jnt likes this.
  6. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Woah! This is good news indeed. Thanks for chiming in on this.

7. Kuba

Kuba