Search Unity

Getting Visual Studio to show "Code Parameters" like Monodevelop

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by nightbane30, Jul 6, 2015.

1. nightbane30

nightbane30

Hello. I'm newer to programming and am self-taught, so I'm not familiar with the majority of terminology when it comes to coding. I'm looking into switching my IDE to VS2013 Pro (I have it for free w/my school), but I can't seem to get the "code parameter" hints to appear in VS. Here are some screenshots of what I mean:

http://postimg.org/gallery/1mpby8k1u/

See how I can kind of toggle/scroll through the options I have when passing through variables, etc? Is there a way to get that for VS? I've used UnityVS before, but it seems to only give me one option for passing through something (eg I can't scroll through multiple options). I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could help answer this simple yet important question!

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

In Visual Studio the list members popup looks more like this:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hcw1s69b.aspx

It should be on by default. Mine is. If it's not on, check out these directions to get to where the options are, and just do it in reverse (this tut is for turning them off, as on is default):
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ecfczya1(v=vs.90).aspx

You can also select the text of the method name and hit Alt+F12 (or right click->peek definition) to see a detailed peek of the code you're calling.

And hitting F12 (right click->goto definition) will actually bring to the code you're calling

3. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Its called intellisense btw (in case you want to know the correct term)

4. nightbane30

nightbane30

Awesome, just got it working with help from that article! Thank you both!

5. majeric

majeric

Well, it's called "intellisence" in Visual Studio. The rest of the universe calls the feature "code competition".

6. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

there is no rest of the universe.

VS OR NOTHING!!!! ;)

GroZZleR likes this.
  7. lordofduct

lordofduct

Wait, there's other options??????

8. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

I like the visual there @majeric, as if the members and methods are all fighting one another to get out onto the screen ^_~. The rest of the world calls it "code completion" though, just FYI.

9. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

10. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Never did like that word- it might be nitpick-y (wrong, even), but I've always used autocomplete only to refer to those instances in which the rest of a word or phrase is filled in immediately after the cursor, like Chrome's best guess at a web address you're typing in. I think the "auto" implies a kind of lack of control that simply isn't there when using code-completion and Intellisense- those don't (usually) obtrusively auto-fill in the code for you the way that Chrome does- you have to scroll up/down, select something, and hit space.

Anyways, that's literally just me most likely, and I'm only mentioning it because it's an interesting topic IMO, not as an argument or anything.