Search Unity

Generic Components...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by the_lemur, Aug 29, 2015.

1. the_lemur

the_lemur

Apparently generic components aren't a thing.. at least not without going through circles that make the code unreadable... but I can't find a good way to do this.

I have a component controlling a UI selection display.. but I want to be able to reuse it for several different kinds of data.. so I would like to be able to assign a generic type to the underlying display data fetched.

of course i could make the data a completely arbitrary type and then force a cast.. but that's not very good practice.

even creating an interface doesn't seem to help because the interface itself would need to be generic. like associating an ICollection<T> with the list of displayed selections.. but there's that generic again.

I can't get around this in any elegant way.

2. jordan-anderson

jordan-anderson

have you got a code sample of what you're trying to achieve maybe i can help.

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Standard work around is to make the generic class as your base class, then inherit from it for each type you want to use.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public class MyClass <T> : MonoBehaviour {
    2.     // All logic goes here
    3. }
    5. // These classes are empty. Used only to attach to GameObjects.
    6. public class MyClassFloat : MyClass<float>{}
    7. public class MyClassString : MyClass<string>{}

4. the_lemur

the_lemur

yeah Mormon I noticed that was being done in other places. I should probably give in and do it that way.

5. the_lemur

the_lemur

as for jordan I guess I was a bit vague. the basic idea is when you have a lot of selections you can make from a UI, any element you select might be associated with an underlying data object that gets passed back to a listener object. but the data getting passed with the event could be any type that the listener wants.

again, it's not a terribly big deal to just typecast it. i mean.. we did it in C all the time...

6. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Your other option is to fake it with reflection and custom inspectors.

7. the_lemur

the_lemur

I went ahead with the subclassing option. Untyped objects and typecasting would feel more natural but im trying to do things 'properly'