Search Unity

General Question About Design Pattern for Randomization

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Ditofry, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Ditofry

Ditofry

I'm new to Unity, I've been looking high and low and I haven't found anything that answers this question in a general sense yet:

I want "collectable" items and enemies to spawn randomly, but I would like to expose an interface to the art and game design folks to be able to specify options for spawning, like "Once a Day", "every 30 seconds", "High Concentration", "Low Concentration" etc. I would love it if these options were on any prefab that needs to be randomized, so that a game designer could click on the "backpack" prefab, open its spawning options, and select "Once a Day", "Dispersed Infrequent" or whatever.

At a high level, can someone recommend a design pattern to achieve this? My rough intuition based on my research so far is to build all my "random spawn" entities by extending a class that has the public properties which control spawn rate, and then perhaps a singleton that spawns "registered" gameobjects based on their settings.

I would really appreciate any general feedback. I'm absolutely LOVING Unity so far, by the way! Thanks so much!

2. Teravisor

Teravisor

How about add a component with enum (or different typed values, depends on you needs) containing all values you need for randomization and attaching it to prefabs? Then when checking you get component on a prefab and check its value. You will still need to keep a list of all prefabs that can be spawned and need to be checked somewhere.

3. RockoDyne

RockoDyne

So basically you want a collection of things that you want to randomly choose, and some kind of scheduler to re-insert things back into the collection? http://www.redblobgames.com/articles/probability/damage-rolls.html This has some things to help you understand how to do the collection. The scheduler is probably a bit more complicated, but it's basically an object pool that pays attention to when the object needs to be re-introduced.

4. Ditofry

Ditofry

Thanks guys! I'll be taking some advice from both of you. I may come back here eventually to give a rundown of how I end up implementing things to see what the experienced C#'ers and Unity Devs think. I appreciate the help!