Search Unity

[CLOSED] Gem Gather - A Unique & Better Version of Bejweled

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blue Bean Apps, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Gem Gather

Gem Gather is a game that will be developed by Blue Bean Apps. The development will not start until January, 2015, after our current work in progress, Swimmy.

GAMEPLAY
    -------------------
    The gameplay will be the same as in the thousands of Bejeweled remakes our there - you will match 3 or more similar gems to destroy them. You will be able to upgrade gems up to a certain level (probably up 5 or 10). You will also be able to combine certain gems together to make stronger gems that will give more rewards for destroying them. You will have many spells you could cast that do various things that aid you. There will also be a ranking system for your player where you level up when you earn a certain number of total points or by completing certain actions. There will be 50-100 achievements to complete. There will be 1,000+ different combinations of gems to match, which means 1,000+ different ways to gain experience to level up and 1,000+ different ways to complete certain achievements. With all these ways to match gems that you will never match every combination of gems, so this should keep the game interesting!

Visit our website for further information!

- Chris

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Work in Progress forum maybe? I think generally you are supposed to have something to show (screenshots etc.) before starting a thread.

3. StarManta

StarManta

Or possibly game design forum.

This is probably a pointless post (no one's going to get excited about a self-admitted Bejeweled clone months before its development has even started). And it's definitely in the wrong forum.

4. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I have not started work on it yet and I won't until my current WiP, Swimmy, is done. I just posted this so that people can spread the word about, but I did not put it in the WiP thread because it is not currently a WiP. I will make a WiP thread when I start development.

I posted this so early because I want people to give suggestions on what gems to have. You can see what I mean in my next post. :)

- Chris

5. StarManta

StarManta

So the new Game Design forum would be where you should've posted it, then.

6. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Yeah, alright. I'll go there. And that last post with the list of gems is really messed up with the centered bulleted lists!

7. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Is it possible to delete this thread like how you can delete posts? Would an admin have to do it?

8. StarManta

StarManta

I think you can delete threads from the thread tools at the top?

9. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

No, hold on, this thread isn't appropriate for the game design forum in this form. At the moment it reads like an ad, and the formatting is pointless and annoying.

If you want people to give you suggestions for different types of gems then that'd be appropriate, but pitch it that way - i.e. as a question - not as a post mostly full of 'coming soon' space-wasting. I already deleted a thread like this one in that forum.

Ryiah and BeefSupreme like this.
  10. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

I do ask for suggestions on gems in my list of gems post. I listed the gems I have in mind to let people know what I've already come up with and they can base some of their ideas on those gems. I could take out all the coming soon stuff to make it less like an ad. And what forum should I have this thread under, if not this one?

And yeah, the formatting on the list of gems post got really messed up somehow. I intend to fix that. For some reason, since the bulleted lists didn't want to center align, I indented them to try to make them centered and it looked fine in the edit window, but then the post came out looking like it does and I don't know why.

EDIT: I deleted the coming soon stuff from the first post and deleted the whole post for the list of gems. I hope this is better. :)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  11. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

Since we want so many unique gems, we need help coming up with the ideas! Please, feel free to throw your suggestions at us!

12. superpig

superpig

You're doing it in a super-offhand way though. Like, your post (before you deleted it, anyway) was a big infodump of a list of kinds of gem, and then at the end you're just like 'let me know if you can suggest more!' It'd be much better if you posted a more direct request, explained your constraints - for example, is it the case that you specifically need sets of 5 thematically linked gems, or will any number in a set do? - and actually lead with what you are asking instead of posting a load of stuff we don't care about and then asking at the end. Explain your problem first, sorta thing.

If you're coming here specifically to ask for ideas of different gem sets you could include in your game, or (even better) advice on how to come up with / be inspired to think of the sets on your own, then that's a Game Design post.

It's the center align - and the purple text - that I'm talking about. Why are you doing that? It makes it look like you care more about how your post looks than about what it says. The center-align in particular also makes your text harder to read.

Formatting aside, your first post is better now, but I'd still look at that and go "....and why are you telling me this?" What's your actual purpose posting all that stuff?

You mention 'spreading the word' but nobody's going to do that when all you have is a paragraph about a match-3 game with some vague ideas about novel mechanics - if you had screenshots or a prototype to show then you might have something in the WIP forum, but you don't, yet.

Are you looking for feedback on the design? In that case you're going to need to be a lot more specific about how your mechanics work, because they're far too vague to discuss at the moment.

Or.. something else?

13. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps

@superpig Would coming up with ideas for the game (brainstorming) count as working on it (would it make it technically a WIP)? I'm basically brainstorming things to I could include in the game. I could post comments on new ideas I've come up with as I think of them.

Anyways, can this whole Gem Gather thread be deleted? I've decided that it is a bit too early to be doing something like this and I've recently decided to start writing on an ebook I could sell on Amazon to make money to publish my current WIP, Swimmy, so I am taking a bit of a break from game development as it is, so this whole thread is pointless. Creating this thread was one of those things you think is a great idea at first, but once you make it happen, you realize it doesn't really work out in the end. :p

Hopefully, I can create the Gem Gather WIP thread soon, and actually have screenshots to go along with it, but patience is a virtue. :)

- Chris

14. superpig

superpig

Well, if you want to use a single WIP thread as a kind of 'development journal' then I think that'd probably be OK. But I wouldn't recommend doing it when you're only at the brainstorm phase - it's too early, just like what you've found with this thread :)

I'm going to leave the thread here. I don't think it's pointless - maybe it will help to inform others about the best way to discuss their ideas - and I don't think it's anything you should be ashamed of. Many ideas fail; it's an inevitable part of learning.

Do your ebook and finish Swimmy, then come back with Gem Gather and decide how the community can help you make it happen. Good luck :)

NomadKing likes this.
  15. Blue Bean Apps

Blue Bean Apps