Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Gear VR No Longer Starts in Stereo...

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by matterama, Sep 25, 2016.

1. matterama

matterama

Hi Everyone,

I believe a setting got corrupted in Unity, but cannot for the life of me find it. Here is the backstory:
    1. I have made more than a few apps using Vuforia and Unity for AR/VR successfully with Android S6 phone.
      • The program starts, tells you to insert the device in Samsung Gear
      • Once inserted and the Gear setup is on your face then everything started correctly, beginning with the Unity splashscreen (using personal edition).
    1. I started to develop a different app that used a plug in webcam. No issues with that project. Did that for a few days..
    2. Returned to one of the AR/VR apps to change text in something. Never got to do that. I accidentally hit the editor "play" (not build and run) on the core project before any changes were made. An error message came up indicating left and right FOV cameras not the same FOV. Thought..."oops" then built again for Android.
      • Program built and loaded to the S6 phone.
      • Immediately knew there was a problem.
      • The Unity splashscreen came up right away. No indication to plug it into Gear.

Since then, I started a fresh project and downloaded the Unity VR samples from the asset store. Compiled and loaded to Android. Same problem. Unity splash came up immediately, no request to put the phone in the Gear or any headset! Program then continued to run, asking me to look at the spot while holding the Dpad. So the program was running, but not acknowledging that it hadn't been put in a VR headset yet.

My best guess is that the project I started using the webcam changed some setting. But I'm guessing. Here are other pieces of information:

• Editor is on Win 7, 64 bit. No issues in the past.
    • Android phone is Samsung S6
    • I moved a project (just the library and assets and top level files) to a Mac. Compiled and downloaded to Android. Exactly the same problem (which was a surprise...seems to indicate there is something in the settings that has been corrupted?).
    • Loading a previous .APK onto the phone still results in success (i.e. phone / Gear VR are not the problem).

Can anyone suggest a remedy or place to look? I thought transfering the project to the Mac would help show that it was a setting on the Windows install of Unity that got corrupted, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Help please!!

Thanks!

2. matterama

matterama

The issue was that the "Virtual Reality Supported" checkbox in the Android player settings had become unchecked. In hindsight, there may have been a 5.3 to 5.4 Unity upgrade along the way that reverted this to unchecked. All good now...